E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Alpine.N55 Flame Tunes

03-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #1
GEE90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i XDrive

Alpine.N55 Flame Tunes

Hi all, I am wondering if anybody has heard of or has had any experience with Alpine.N55 flame tunes, I was looking into purchasing one as I have seen some positive reviews online. As I have clarified with him, it is not anti-lag but pops and flames on downshift. He has told me he uses the stock burble function from MHD and doesn't alter the temperature limits. He also said it is set to the exact same temperature limit as normal burbles are and that running the tune will have no more risks than running normal MHD burbles. Although this alright good, I just wanted to put it out there to see if anybody has had any experience with the tune itself. I also wanted to know if there is the potential for causing any damage specifically to the engine or turbo etc. I am already full catless too.
      03-31-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

anjuna You think you know how it is done and if its bad?
      05-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
anjuna You think you know how it is done and if its bad?
Sorry, I'm a bit late

Work gets BUSY

Yes, I have done this before. It's pretty easy to do.
  • You DO pull a bunch of timing by using the "Ignition Angle Adjustment for Burbles - xxxx" tables, which corresponds to "burbles"
  • You set your AFR's rich in the area that you want the "flames"
  • You set the fuel trims positive by as much as possible in that same area
  • You can dial it in further with the standard ignition tables

Now, would I do it? Not particularly.

Even if you stop just with the "Ignition Angle Adjustment for Burble" adjustments, you still have to declare the maximum amount of load allowed for this to happen. Otherwise, you get shit driveability.

Also, this is really hard on the exhaust components and the turbo. You're moving the "bang boom make power" cycle out of the engine and into your turbofold, downpipe, ?cats?, exhaust piping, and muffler.

I wouldn't think about doing it unless TRULY straight-piped and I wouldn't do it for a daily.

I think a more classy thing to do would be to refine your burbles and overrun behavior to avoid the "AK47" style exhaust "burbles"
Appreciate 3