E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R sports springs only lowers my car for 1.5cm?

10-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
djasonz
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 2009

H&R sports springs only lowers my car for 1.5cm?

hey guys. recently i have been asking around about replacing my current msport springs into H&R sports springs. they told me it only lowers it by 1.5cm, which is not really what i wanted. does anyone have any suggestion on what springs is good for e92 325 m sport? i kind of wanted to lower it by about 4-5 cm in the front. and also wanted to keep a good handling on my car.
im not really interested in using adjustable, since i have to get it certified n stuff. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

You want to lower the car two inches on springs? There isn't even that much suspension travel with the springs you have. Ride will suck!

Hr sports lowered mine over an inch in the front from the sport ride height. Ride sucked and I removed them a couple weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

There aren't any springs that will lower you 2inches from current.

Eibach Sportline springs will lower your car from where it is now about 3.5cm. This isn't to be confused with Eibach ProKit which are regarded as relatively comfortable on stock shock absorbers. Eibach Prokit only lowers 2.5cm from standard (sport springs are already 1.5cm lower than standard). I don't know how Sportline springs will go on sport shocks but I'm guessing it won't be great.

If you want "low" and "comfortable" in the same sentence you'll have to stretch to coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
You want to lower the car two inches on springs? There isn't even that much suspension travel with the springs you have. Ride will suck!

Hr sports lowered mine over an inch in the front from the sport ride height. Ride sucked and I removed them a couple weeks later.
I'm surprised HR sport springs lowered you that much. You sure it wasn't HR Race Springs which would give it a 1.2 inch drop, HR sport should only drop you 0.7inches from stock sports setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

That's what they say but not actual. They were hr sport springs, not race.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
V1_R
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [10.00]
I just installed my Eibach Pro-kit springs over the weekend and kept standard shocks.

It is now the perfect height (just over 1" lower but hard to tell because change of wheels done at the same time), and the ride is indeed excellent, infact it is smoother than before.

However, having replaced the 18" wheels and runflats with 19" wheels non-runflats as well as the springs, it is hard to isolate what improved the ride the most.

ps. my headlights are pointing very low now... so I have to adjust those.
      10-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
djasonz
New Zealand
Rep

do i have to change to coilovers to lower my car by 2 inch from the msports springs? any cheaper way other than cutting off the springs? lol
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djasonz View Post
do i have to change to coilovers to lower my car by 2 inch from the msports springs? any cheaper way other than cutting off the springs? lol
No other way.

Cheap route: chop the springs

Correct route: get coilovers

The biggest drop on springs you'll get is Eibach sportline, about 1.4"/0.8" F/R drop from where you are now. However Subieworx says the drop on his H&Rs was bigger than stated so I guess the numbers are indicative only.

I've done the super low thing for a while, and while it was cool and looks pretty p-i-m-p, you get sick of having to crawl over speed bumps and scraping on driveways all the time.
End of the day though it's up to you to mod your own car
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I thought H&R offered THREE different spring drops...

One that gave you a modest 1/2 inch drop.

One that gave you a 1.5 inch drop.

And one that gave you that SLAMMED drop look. Sounds like that what you are after. But... it wll also give you that po-go like ride bc you will be bouncing off your bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
The H&R sport is a really good drop..almost perfect IMO and I like flush....

But seriously....spend the extra $$ and get coilovers...
      10-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

I agree, the H&R Sport is a perfect drop IMO but if you want something more aggressive, then you can do the H&R Race.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I'm surprised HR sport springs lowered you that much. You sure it wasn't HR Race Springs which would give it a 1.2 inch drop, HR sport should only drop you 0.7inches from stock sports setup.
H&R sports is 1.5" in the front and I beleive 1" in the rear i believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
H&R sports is 1.5" in the front and I beleive 1" in the rear i believe.
Thats from standard yep, but he's already on sports suspension which is .6" lower than standard.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #14
djasonz
New Zealand
Rep

i had a look at KW coilovers. theyre nice. but on the info sheet it shows that it could only drop simmilar " to the H&R. or i might be mistaken..
i just want to get rid of the gap between my front tyres and the front guard. or even dip by 1cm? back one too.. i might want to use spacers too cause i want it to look fat, but my friends told me that if i lower the car, the car should look fatter automatically(kind of auto chamber?). please correct me if im mistaken. thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #15
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Uh...don't think it will look auto fatter just from lowering it...I guess it could slightly give it a look of a wider stance from just lowering it maybe?

The H&R sport will probably give you the height you want...especially if you get bigger wheels.....you can look at my garage to get an idea...or there are literally 1000's of pics of this around the forums....

KWV2's will absolutely adjust lower than H&R sport if you want...and those are what you should get if you can afford it over springs or any springs/shocks combo...IMO...
      10-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
I originally just bought H&R Springs, the ride was okay for a while and then the stock shocks gave out and the ride flat out sucked. I ended up selling the springs and then getting coilovers - lesson learned...

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
kmoto
vroom
Rep
Drives: Grocery Getter

Garage List
2023 G80 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2020 F82 M4  [0.00]
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2007 335i e92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Uh...don't think it will look auto fatter just from lowering it...I guess it could slightly give it a look of a wider stance from just lowering it maybe?

The H&R sport will probably give you the height you want...especially if you get bigger wheels.....you can look at my garage to get an idea...or there are literally 1000's of pics of this around the forums....

KWV2's will absolutely adjust lower than H&R sport if you want...and those are what you should get if you can afford it over springs or any springs/shocks combo...IMO...
Took a look at your garage and the gap looks pretty nice. Are you running the Sports or Race? I'm currently running stock 189s and have spacers on the way (12/15mm) and think the Race may be a little too aggressive because I have the sports pkg on the car as well. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #18
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Here's a comparison in terms of drop rates between the H&R Sport/Race Springs and the KW Coilovers.

H&R Sport Spring - 1.3" Front & 1.2" Rear
H&R Race Spring - 2.0" Front & 1.5" Rear

KW V1/V2/V3 - 1.2-2.3" Front & 0.9-2.1" Rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
I originally just bought H&R Springs, the ride was okay for a while and then the stock shocks gave out and the ride flat out sucked. I ended up selling the springs and then getting coilovers - lesson learned...
I couldn't have said it better myself. Although springs are a "cheap" way to lower your car, it is going to wear down your OEM Sport Shocks down prematurely. This can happen anywhere between 15-30k depending on your driving habits. The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on.

Here's an example based on the amount of money that you'd spend. You're going to spend ~$250 on springs, $250 for an install, and another $100-150 for an alignment. Once your stock shocks blow, your going to have to spend another $600-800 on shocks and pay for another install and alignment again. If you do the math, you would have saved yourself a whole lot more time and money by doing it right the first time.

Seeing how you're looking to drop your car as much as possible, I would recommend that you look into the option of coilovers. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a movable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

KW does make either the Variant 1, 2, and 3 coilovers. I'll briefly explain to you the differences.

The KW V1 coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced. You'll have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with pre-set damping from KW.

The KW V2 is the system intended for the experienced driver who requires to not only determine the individual lowering of their vehicle, but adjust the damper setting to fine tune the system to their needs. The adjustable rebound damper allows adjustment of the pitch and roll behavior of the vehicle, adapting it to one‘s own driving preferences. You'll have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with the ability to also adjust rebound damping.

Rebound adjustment, with the exception of specified vehicles, can be performed with the kit installed via an adjustment spindle on the end of the piston rod. The rebound damping primarily, controls pitch and roll of the vehicle, especially in the low speed damping range which directly influences handling and comfort. Therefore vehicle can be adjusted to the needs of the driver, making the ride variable from comfortable to sporty and stiff, both with improved road handling

The KW V3 is state-of-the-art technology for the skilled and experienced driver. The separate and independent compression and rebound damping options allow a truly individual driving set-up. These unique systems with the 3 individually adjustable components, allows for adjustment of the compression of the damper in the low-speed range, while the high speed set-up, so decisive for driving comfort, has been preset by our engineers. You'll have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with the ability to also adjust both rebound and compression damping.

The compression characteristics are adjusted utilizing a new, patented valve at the lower end of the damper casing. The number of pre-installable parameters available for this valve allow for settings for just about any application required. The unique low-speed pressure adjustment is the decisive feature of this technology. In this absorption area the handling of the vehicle is greatly influenced. An increase in the damping force supports the vehicle even during compression, thereby preventing pitch, roll and notably improving cornering behavior.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all if you have any questions about upgrading the suspension on your vehicle!

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoto335i View Post
Took a look at your garage and the gap looks pretty nice. Are you running the Sports or Race? I'm currently running stock 189s and have spacers on the way (12/15mm) and think the Race may be a little too aggressive because I have the sports pkg on the car as well. Any thoughts?
I have sport. The Race are pretty aggressive but look good I think. If you're gonna go race, you FOR SURE need to get Koni Yellows..

You might have to roll your fenders depending on the offset you get...
      10-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #20
kmoto
vroom
Rep
Drives: Grocery Getter

Garage List
2023 G80 M3 Comp  [0.00]
2020 F82 M4  [0.00]
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2007 335i e92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
I have sport. The Race are pretty aggressive but look good I think. If you're gonna go race, you FOR SURE need to get Koni Yellows..

You might have to roll your fenders depending on the offset you get...
Went Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #21
alrvd83
New BMW owner
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-sport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Here's a comparison in terms of drop rates between the H&R Sport/Race Springs and the KW Coilovers.

H&R Sport Spring - 1.3" Front & 1.2" Rear
H&R Race Spring - 2.0" Front & 1.5" Rear

KW V1/V2/V3 - 1.2-2.3" Front & 0.9-2.1" Rear

I couldn't have said it better myself. Although springs are a "cheap" way to lower your car, it is going to wear down your OEM Sport Shocks down prematurely. This can happen anywhere between 15-30k depending on your driving habits. The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on.

Here's an example based on the amount of money that you'd spend. You're going to spend ~$250 on springs, $250 for an install, and another $100-150 for an alignment. Once your stock shocks blow, your going to have to spend another $600-800 on shocks and pay for another install and alignment again. If you do the math, you would have saved yourself a whole lot more time and money by doing it right the first time.

Seeing how you're looking to drop your car as much as possible, I would recommend that you look into the option of coilovers. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a movable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

KW does make either the Variant 1, 2, and 3 coilovers. I'll briefly explain to you the differences.

The KW V1 coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced. You'll have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with pre-set damping from KW.

The KW V2 is the system intended for the experienced driver who requires to not only determine the individual lowering of their vehicle, but adjust the damper setting to fine tune the system to their needs. The adjustable rebound damper allows adjustment of the pitch and roll behavior of the vehicle, adapting it to one‘s own driving preferences. You'll have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with the ability to also adjust rebound damping.

Rebound adjustment, with the exception of specified vehicles, can be performed with the kit installed via an adjustment spindle on the end of the piston rod. The rebound damping primarily, controls pitch and roll of the vehicle, especially in the low speed damping range which directly influences handling and comfort. Therefore vehicle can be adjusted to the needs of the driver, making the ride variable from comfortable to sporty and stiff, both with improved road handling

The KW V3 is state-of-the-art technology for the skilled and experienced driver. The separate and independent compression and rebound damping options allow a truly individual driving set-up. These unique systems with the 3 individually adjustable components, allows for adjustment of the compression of the damper in the low-speed range, while the high speed set-up, so decisive for driving comfort, has been preset by our engineers. You'll have the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle with the ability to also adjust both rebound and compression damping.

The compression characteristics are adjusted utilizing a new, patented valve at the lower end of the damper casing. The number of pre-installable parameters available for this valve allow for settings for just about any application required. The unique low-speed pressure adjustment is the decisive feature of this technology. In this absorption area the handling of the vehicle is greatly influenced. An increase in the damping force supports the vehicle even during compression, thereby preventing pitch, roll and notably improving cornering behavior.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions at all if you have any questions about upgrading the suspension on your vehicle!

- Alan
What you arent mentioning is H&R sport springs AND also change out your stock shocks at the SAME TIME. By doing that, you match up the lowering springs with a stiffer shock so in the end its a great setup. Putting lowering springs on stock shocks isnt smart PERIOD.

I went through 3 suspensions on my Nissan. Eibach springs, ground control coilovers, and even JIC coilover (comparable to the $2000 Tien flex full suspension set). Coilvoers do give a great drop and very stiff ride, but have them on any car for about 50k miles and you will run into problems.

I constantly had to readjust the locking nuts/re-tighten them due to road bumps. Also when that happened, the springs would start binding (due to looseness) when turning thus making noises. I dont think many people on the forum have had KW's much longer then 20k miles let alone 50k.

Also i don't believe the KW's allow for 2 way adjusting. As in you can preload the spring on the coilover with one lock and then turn the entire coilover into itself thus allowing for full suspension travel at low levels.

I had these on my nissan. http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=34 Notice the 2 sets of red locking locks...top and bottom allowing you to thread the entire coilover into itself. Unless a KW allows for that, i prob wont get them.

With that said, springs AND after market shocks is a good setup. Springs and stock shocks is just plain stupid...this is from a guy who's been modding cars for 7 + yrs, and has built show cars featured in performance auto and sound and had many sponsors. Not to sound cocky AT ALL

Last edited by alrvd83; 10-21-2010 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
alrvd83
New BMW owner
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-sport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Thats from standard yep, but he's already on sports suspension which is .6" lower than standard.
So since I have m sport suspension, you're saying that if I get H&R sports then I will only see another .9" drop in the front? hmmmmmm

sports suspension is .6" lower then standard just on the front? what about the rear?