E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Removing Uninstalling Key Lock Cylinder on Trunk Bootlid CSL

03-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
DIY: Removing Uninstalling Key Lock Cylinder on Trunk Bootlid CSL

While installing my CSL Trunk I got stuck on the key lock cylinder. After I read the thread about how not to uninstall (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=lock+cylinder), I was able to figure out what needed to be done to remove the cylinder.

Do this at your own RISK!!

Tools:
  • Torx bit 30
  • Pilers
  • Metal rod to insert into access hole (shown in Picture)
  • flathead screwdriver
  • trim remover

Procedure:

1. remove 8 liner covers using a flathead or trim remover.

2. remove locking cable attached to lock cylinder by unclipping white clip using pilers then simply remove cable from lock.

3. unscrew both torx 30 screws from lock.

*heres the tricky part that people I guess have had issues with and ended up destroying the lock. You'll notice that if you try to unscrew the locking torx/locking ratchet (shown in picture) with a little pressure it won't budge because of a little tab that is holding it in that position. So what you need to do is pry away at the tab as to allow the locking ratchet (shown in picture) to move freely. So you need to do is find some sort of metal rod that you can insert into the access hole (shown in picture) to the tab which allows you to pry it away from locking ratchet.

4. Insert metal rod into access hole to pry away at it (shown in picture).

5. Slowly attempt to turn locking torx 30 turns the left while observing that the locking ratchet is moving as well, if not moving find something else to pry at the tab. It doesn't turn a whole lot so be careful not to strip the screw.

6. At this point you'll notice that the key lock cylinder is fairly loose and can wiggle more then was allowed before. At this point you want to go to the exterior cover to uninstall using a flathead screwdriver. After inserting push outward to unclip. Once this is down everything else will come right out.

Now you can transfer the lock to your CSL bootlid or do whatever you were planning to do. Hope this helps for anyone confused, if you have any questions feel free to PM me as I don't watch the thread and would better get an answer from me that way.

Happy Modding
Attached Images

03-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Ricky1933
Rep
Drives: E90

It's great DIY
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
skybox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Dinan II

Q's, Were you able to put the lock cylinder back on the CLS trunk? I need some help with it. Got it from **********s.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybox View Post
Q's, Were you able to put the lock cylinder back on the CLS trunk? I need some help with it. Got it from **********s.

Thanks!
I got my trunk from sonictuning, not sure if they are the same trunk, but as for me I was able to get mine in. The holes for the screws didn't line up completely and was only able to install one of the torx but as far as everything else it came out right...
      05-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #5
don40vette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Trunk lock

I know its been a long time since that last time someone made a comment on this post but I found it, used it, and it worked like a charm. I never would have gotten it out without this post.
Thank you
Appreciate 1
2one3E902422.00
      09-15-2021, 03:21 AM   #6
dubletapp1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335

Same here. Never would've figured it out as quickly for sure without this thread. Thank you.
Appreciate 0