E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > No Audio Out [SOLVED]

03-11-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
No Audio Out [SOLVED]

Hi guys, maybe this is a stupid question but how do I get the Bluetooth audio from my phone to play through my stereo?

I just picked the car up today and my phone connects perfectly, it makes calls perfectly, and it shows both the phone and the music note icons in the menu as being 'on', but I can't get it to play my music through the stereo from my phone. Am I an idiot? I've R'dtFM and it tells me nothing that works. It seems to think that by simply pairing the phone via bluetooth it should show up as an option in the CD menu. It doesn't. Am I doing something wrong, or expecting something that just isn't there even though the icons tell me it is? Or is something wrong with my car?

It's a 2011 328xi (AWD already deleted) with navigation.

TIA,
Joe

Last edited by MadJoe; 03-18-2020 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Go to mdecoder.com and list your options.
Go to the idrive subforum to get operational details
if you have the wireless streaming option.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Did you enable media on your phone under bluetooth settings.
Is the player on your phone set up to output to bluetooth.
You did not say if you have Android or Apple.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-11-2020 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 04:57 AM   #3
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry, I have a Galaxy S10+, and yes both audio and phone options are selected on my phone.

On the car's screen, my music icon is also highlighted, but my menus don't look like the ones in the video. Whenever I select CD it just says "No Disk", there's no other options to select not even AUX. When I click "options" on the controller, it brings up an options menu, but it doesn't look like the one in the video. In order to enable audio in my menus, I have to go to the "Telephone" tab, highlight my phone, and click "Options". That brings up a menu where I can select what my phone will be used for, and both audio and phone were selected from the start. I've unselected and reselected both options multiple times. I'm going to try repairing my phone today, and if that doesn't work I'll get photos and maybe a video to show what I'm talking about.

The thing that confuses me is that if I didn't have the streaming option, why would I have the music icon and be allowed to set it to on? That just doesn't make sense.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

As ctuna suggests you first have to check your vin to see what hardware your car has.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What exactly will it say? I checked my VIN and it had a few things related to the Nav and radio, but nothing that specifically said bluetooth audio. Does that mean I need hardware to do this?

S609 Navigation System Professional
S6VC Control, Combox
S6FL USB/Audio Interface
S639 Preperation F Mobile Phone Cpl. USA/CDN
S645 BMW US Radio
S676 HiFi Speaker System

And a bunch that aren't related in any way. I'm guessing I'm missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I thought the was an option number for it in the 6's don't
know what it it something about advanced media I think.
The guys in the idrive subforum are likely to known.
I don't have and idrive myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #7
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I finally figured it out. I wasn't aware that the iDrive controller was able to be pushed left/right/up/down. All I had to do was enter the CD/Multimedia menu and push the controller to the right (actually it's to the left) and all my items were right there. Sorry to have wasted your time, and thank you for trying to help!

Last edited by MadJoe; 03-19-2020 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:57 AM   #8
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Your vin number revealed that you have a combox and all of the associated controls so we could try to help with the correct information.

But its great that you found the answer.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #9
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The crazy part is everyone online was telling me I had it, but when I called BMW's "genius" line, they told me based on my VIN I couldn't steam audio.

It was a YouTube video about something else to do with iDrive that I saw some guy enter the CD/Multimedia menu, and it looked exactly like mine, but all of the sudden changed to show all the different inputs. I immediately ran out to my car to check one last time, and there it was.

I think the problem was that you guys were too kind in assuming I knew how to use my iDrive lol.
Appreciate 0