E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Streaming solution on Pre-Combox (with iPod 6FL)

01-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #265
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I got my WMA3000B today. Its got the Y-Cable integrated into the bluetooth receiver. It works great in my 2011 w/o iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #266
mltsao
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

help

I have a E90 328i 2008. No navigation, bluetooth. I have an Aux and a usb port.

I haven't been able to go through this whole thread.

What do I need to get if I want bluetooth audio with steering controls?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #267
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltsao View Post
I have a E90 328i 2008. No navigation, bluetooth. I have an Aux and a usb port.

I haven't been able to go through this whole thread.

What do I need to get if I want bluetooth audio with steering controls?
The exact goddamn part number in the post immediately above yours.

I understand shit gets buried, but try at least a LITTLE.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #268
CenCal X3M Comp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3M Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
The exact goddamn part number in the post immediately above yours.

I understand shit gets buried, but try at least a LITTLE.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #269
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

I just ordered the WMA3000B:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My car didn't come with a Y-cable, so this was cheaper than getting the WMA1000 plus a decent Y-cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #270
mltsao
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

haha, oopps I was looking at the beginning and end of thread.

For the WMA1000/3000 has anyone tried using the radio and a phone GPS at the same time? Does it switch back and forth when the GPS is giving directions?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #271
NWCT335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltsao View Post
haha, oopps I was looking at the beginning and end of thread.

For the WMA1000/3000 has anyone tried using the radio and a phone GPS at the same time? Does it switch back and forth when the GPS is giving directions?
Yes, when you are streaming via the WMA1000/3000 the music will mute a bit and the navigation voice comes through. There are no known issues that I can think of where you lose any existing functionality when using the WMA1000/3000.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #272
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS

So, after reading MOST of this thread, am I correct in this line of thinking:

Car = 2011 335d with Bluetooth...non iDrive
Phone = Samsung Galaxy S4

If I want to stream music, I can purchase the WMA3000B/Tune2Air from Amazon which plugs into the normal Y-Cable ports in the center console.

This will then connect to my phone, via Bluetooth, and also connect to the car, allowing audio to be streamed through the speakers. I will not have any track info, and may or may not be able to advance the tracks.

Also, while it's connected, phone calls will have to be picked up manually (vs. using the phone button on the steering wheel).

Does this accurately sum things up as far as the option for Android streaming?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #273
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
So, after reading MOST of this thread, am I correct in this line of thinking:

Car = 2011 335d with Bluetooth...non iDrive
Phone = Samsung Galaxy S4

If I want to stream music, I can purchase the WMA3000B/Tune2Air from Amazon which plugs into the normal Y-Cable ports in the center console.

This will then connect to my phone, via Bluetooth, and also connect to the car, allowing audio to be streamed through the speakers. I will not have any track info, and may or may not be able to advance the tracks.

Also, while it's connected, phone calls will have to be picked up manually (vs. using the phone button on the steering wheel).

Does this accurately sum things up as far as the option for Android streaming?
Yes, and track skip forward/backward should work.
      01-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #274
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

My WMA3000 showed up today. Now I only have about 5 minutes setting it up, but what I noticed thus far ('07 E92 335, CCC iDrive, factory Bluetooth):

- Volume is noticeably lower compared to using my Bluetooth to FM transmitter (Go Groove) I had been using since I got the car this weekend. I need to score a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord to test whether it is the Aux input or the unit itself.

- I didn't see any way to FWD/RWD, Play/Pause with the steering wheel controls or menu controls, though I admit I haven't taken much time to look.

- Took longer than normal to sync to my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.1) while doing the initial pairing. I haven't got to test how well/quickly it will auto sync to the phone.

- I just tested Pandora, and it didn't have the artist playing or channel displayed on the iDrive. Again, I need to test it more.

If I end up not having the basic FWD/RWD, Play/Pause, I'm sending it back. Not impressed in the first 5 minutes. I'll know for sure after my drive into work tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #275
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
My WMA3000 showed up today. Now I only have about 5 minutes setting it up, but what I noticed thus far ('07 E92 335, CCC iDrive, factory Bluetooth):

- Volume is noticeably lower compared to using my Bluetooth to FM transmitter (Go Groove) I had been using since I got the car this weekend. I need to score a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord to test whether it is the Aux input or the unit itself.

- I didn't see any way to FWD/RWD, Play/Pause with the steering wheel controls or menu controls, though I admit I haven't taken much time to look.

- Took longer than normal to sync to my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 8.1) while doing the initial pairing. I haven't got to test how well/quickly it will auto sync to the phone.

- I just tested Pandora, and it didn't have the artist playing or channel displayed on the iDrive. Again, I need to test it more.

If I end up not having the basic FWD/RWD, Play/Pause, I'm sending it back. Not impressed in the first 5 minutes. I'll know for sure after my drive into work tomorrow.
Volume: one of the soft key options in iPod and AUX mode (I think it's labeled LEV) is external input pre-scale volume, and it's independent for both those modes. For example, if you have an mp3 player you connect via aux with the volume cranked up, you can set the prescale lower, or if your iPod fixed level dock connector aux-out is relatively soft, you can set the prescale higher so that, when switching from radio to aux to iPod, they're not radically different volumes at the same master setting. I'm betting your iPod mode prescale level is just set way low.

Keys: I haven't tested with my iPhone 6, but with my old 5 and a hard wire, you could fast forward or rewind by holding the fw/back wheel buttons. I know I CAN'T do that with the WMA1000 and my android tablet, but I don't recall whether I could with the WMA1000 and iPhone. Of course, single press skip forward/back should work for any of them, so if it doesn't, check that you've got the latest firmware but otherwise definitely get support on the line.

Artist/track: definitely should work with iOS, and I recall it worked fine with Pandora. Definitely NOT android. Again, only tested with iPhone 5, so maybe there's some weird change in the newest hard/software they have a bug about.
      01-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #276
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, and track skip forward/backward should work.
Alternatively, I could just use an double sided aux cable, plug one end into the headphone jack and the other into the car, and it would be roughly the same outcome, outside of the track skip feature, correct?

In this scenario, I would maintain the bluetooth phone call capability, I'm assuming.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:50 AM   #277
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
Alternatively, I could just use an double sided aux cable, plug one end into the headphone jack and the other into the car, and it would be roughly the same outcome, outside of the track skip feature, correct?

In this scenario, I would maintain the bluetooth phone call capability, I'm assuming.
You'll have bluetooth calling in either case. Aux vs WMA3000, you're giving up track info, skip forward and backward, and of course not having to actually plug in your phone every time.
      01-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #278
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Volume: one of the soft key options in iPod and AUX mode (I think it's labeled LEV) is external input pre-scale volume, and it's independent for both those modes. For example, if you have an mp3 player you connect via aux with the volume cranked up, you can set the prescale lower, or if your iPod fixed level dock connector aux-out is relatively soft, you can set the prescale higher so that, when switching from radio to aux to iPod, they're not radically different volumes at the same master setting. I'm betting your iPod mode prescale level is just set way low.

Keys: I haven't tested with my iPhone 6, but with my old 5 and a hard wire, you could fast forward or rewind by holding the fw/back wheel buttons. I know I CAN'T do that with the WMA1000 and my android tablet, but I don't recall whether I could with the WMA1000 and iPhone. Of course, single press skip forward/back should work for any of them, so if it doesn't, check that you've got the latest firmware but otherwise definitely get support on the line.

Artist/track: definitely should work with iOS, and I recall it worked fine with Pandora. Definitely NOT android. Again, only tested with iPhone 5, so maybe there's some weird change in the newest hard/software they have a bug about.
I dug through the owner's manual and every menu possible - there is no changing audio levels per input. Luckily, the issue ended up being my phone; somehow the volume was turned down from when I used it minutes before with my Bluetooth FM transmitter. She now is loud and sounds good.

FWD/RWD work, from both the dash button and wheel, so that's good. Phone syncs quickly to the WMA3000 with no manual intervention, so good to go there too.

I'm finding track/artist info a pain to get up on the iDrive display. It only happens when in Entertainment mode and I have to play around with it to display it. I assume there is no way to display this info while in any other menu? I typically have it sitting on the Nav screen (I wish the unit just defaulted to that rather than the main menu).

Only display info I get is my phone's name anywhere other than the entertainment menu. I'm sure album art is probably a no-go, lol.

The above complaints aren't really an issue for me. The one that is a problem is the lack of a pause/play button anywhere. I do use that frequently.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #279
other_evolved
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You'll have bluetooth calling in either case. Aux vs WMA3000, you're giving up track info, skip forward and backward, and of course not having to actually plug in your phone every time.
I didn't think I would have track info with the WMA3000 + Android phone solution?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #280
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Sorry for the late reply. Yes on the Moto X 2014 it now allows me to receive calls using the car's built in system. Ringing sound will come through the A2DP audio feed in addition to the car's ringing sound. This is very good because you could be listening to radio instead of the phone's audio and still get a ring tone.

On the Nexus 5 however, not so much. When it gets a call, it stays dead quiet. No audio at all, the only thing is the screen comes on showing there's an incoming call and the phone vibrates.

Oh and the iPhone 6 works like the Moto X 2014 as well.

Last edited by danchee; 01-21-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #281
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

I finally figured out pause/play with this thing. It seems you have to hit mute to do it - I just got the car so I wasn't aware of such a dumb design.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the WMA3000B. I wish it were cheaper and the USB/AUX cable was longer, but that's about the extent of my complaints at this point. Everything else is more of a BMW issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #282
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

i'm on the fence between this one and the kinivo. i'd be using an android so the track information in 'ipod' mode on my non-idrive head unit wouldn't display any way. for me it comes down to music quality, has anyone compare the music quality differences between the wma models and the kinivo btc units??? the kinivo is supposed to have the later more developed bluetooth, but i don't know if that makes a difference? has anyone pondered this same decision and compared the 2?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #283
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal 335is View Post
I believe Siri works over the Bluetooth for the phone (connected for the hands free phone function; it uses the mike from the hands free built in to the car if yours equipped) and not over music audio. If Siri is not supported as an OEM solution then there is no work around other than the following solution.

The only way Siri has worked for me is by holding down the home button on the phone itself and then it would play through the speakers and respond to the car's built-in mike.
Siri plays over my speakers but I have never been able to use the car's mike. I have to speak into the phone. after a call connects the car's mike seems to work fine. am i missing a setting somewhere? (this is not related to my tune2air BTW).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #284
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Siri plays over my speakers but I have never been able to use the car's mike. I have to speak into the phone. after a call connects the car's mike seems to work fine. am i missing a setting somewhere? (this is not related to my tune2air BTW).
Yes. When Siri is up, there's a bluetooth icon in the bottom right. Tap that and select the car, then Siri will use the car handsfree.
      01-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #285
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Thanks I'll try that
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #286
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
i'm on the fence between this one and the kinivo. i'd be using an android so the track information in 'ipod' mode on my non-idrive head unit wouldn't display any way. for me it comes down to music quality, has anyone compare the music quality differences between the wma models and the kinivo btc units??? the kinivo is supposed to have the later more developed bluetooth, but i don't know if that makes a difference? has anyone pondered this same decision and compared the 2?
Doesn't seem that anyone has compared the viseeo with the kinivo. How about all the viseeo users how would you compare the sound quality with other inputs to the hifi radio like, cd, usb, ipod direct wired, sat?
Appreciate 0