E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Starter Ground Cable Replacement

06-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
Starter Ground Cable Replacement

Hi guys,

I know I haven't posted much lately but I still lurk and still have my trusty old 2006 E90. I wanted to post because recently I noticed a big drop in fuel mileage which I attributed to a faulty thermometer (it opens too soon not allowing the engine to fully warm up thereby not reaching peak efficiency).

Well, I still suspect the thermometer as having a negative affect on my mileage, however it seems the bigger culprit was the "Starter Ground Cable" (a simple engine to chassis ground with BMW nomenclature). If this cable oxidizes to the point where the aluminum begins to return to it's "dust" form (which is wont to happen after 13 years most of which was spent in New England), it will not cause any fault lights nor will it stop your car from starting, it will simply separate and cause rough idling, poor fuel mileage, and who knows what else. It looks a bit like this:

Removed and compared to new one:

New one installed:

Replacement is pretty straight forward, but thinking to check it might not be. Take a look under your cars once in a while if they're more than 10 years old!

Joe

ETA: fixed an image
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Just replaced in my wife's E91.
      06-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That ground cable is copper, not aluminum. That is why it turns green when it corrodes. The copper has a thin plating, probably tin, that gives it the silver color.
Appreciate 1
MadJoe44.50
      06-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
So you're saying replacing this earth strap cured poor idle and heavy fuel consumption..?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
So you're saying replacing this earth strap cured poor idle and heavy fuel consumption..?
Yes.

I'm not sure of the exact particulars, but when your engine is running a charge builds up on it from all the moving parts and needs a way to ground in order to not interfere with the electronic things connected to your engine (Specifically ignition components, but others as well) so a ground cable is connected to discharge this build up. Take that path away, and the charge starts forcing its way into other electronics, disrupting them, and can actually arc across to a ground point if it builds up enough before finding another path.

My last car to have this issue looked like the paparazzi was under the hood taking pictures when I drove at night. It's how I realized I even had a problem since that old car was already super glitchy and inefficient anyway, so I hardly noticed it was getting worse.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
That ground cable is copper, not aluminum. That is why it turns green when it corrodes. The copper has a thin plating, probably tin, that gives it the silver color.
That makes a lot more sense. Thank you!
Appreciate 0