E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > AutoX/Track Days

07-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #45
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
400lb/in front and 700lb/in rear, paired with Vorshlag camber front, and Powerflex Black upper rear shock mount and M3 lower camber arm.

IMO the shocks are unable to fully damp out the low frequency/speed movement of the car even when the rebound and compression are dialed up. While the high speed damping is too harsh, so when at the higher rebound and compression setting, so the ride is a bit harsh and you are losing more traction than you should when braking hard over any surface irregularity on the track.
That makes sense, thanks. This is a great example of why the force/velocity is so important in those lower shaft speeds (under 2"/ second), and that's where a higher end damper really sets itself apart, but I'm not saying TCK DA are low end at all, clearly they are a great damper and Kline does a lot with the technology he has to work with.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #46
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
That makes sense, thanks. This is a great example of why the force/velocity is so important in those lower shaft speeds (under 2"/ second), and that's where a higher end damper really sets itself apart, but I'm not saying TCK DA are low end at all, clearly they are a great damper and Kline does a lot with the technology he has to work with.
Exactly. It would be great if all coilover manufacturers would just post up their shock dyno sheets, and these arguments would be settled very easily. With high quality shocks, if you haven't tried them out, you simply won't know what you are missing.
Appreciate 0