E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bmw E90 Manual Transmission Conversion

07-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #45
torn08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Has this gotten any easier? Before looking at building up the AT options
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #46
Lunatic335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 335i

No update? I'm looking to do this to my 335i. I'm going to start hoarding parts so I can install them myself and then take it to an Indy for the programming. Also, will any e9x 6speed work with the N54? Or dose it have to come off of an N54? I'm guessing the ecu can be left alone, only the programming done to it since it was mentioned earlier, correct? I have an 07' e90 AT sport package.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #47
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope335i View Post
Let me know if you go through with the swap. I've been wanting to see how this goes.
I recently did the conversion to a 08 535xi.. Worked great. Kept the original ecus with the original vin. Just a sex transplant with phycological reprograing too. Lol.
@MNC performance
The DME is programmed for both auto and manual. That part is no big deal.

Swap the hardware and recode your VO.

Still may not be with the hassle. But the computers should not be the hold up.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #48
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

the 330i trans may bolt up, but I think you will want the 335i transmission, it has a bit more torque holding capacity.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #49
Lunatic335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
the 330i trans may bolt up, but I think you will want the 335i transmission, it has a bit more torque holding capacity.
Nice just the answer I needed! Thanks! I'm gana go for a 335 tranny then.
      03-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #50
Lunatic335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post

I'm keeping the car for good. Resale value is garbage compared to what I paid! I would lose to much. I don't mind keeping it that's why I'd like to go ahead with the transfer. I'm doing the install ie. dropping the old auto components and put ing in the 6 speed. Only thing I will NOT do it programming.... so my question is...what's VO? that way I know how to describe what needs to be done to the Indy shop just in case. I don't think anyone in my area has done the swap so the guys may not know what exactly needs to be done so that's why I ask now.
      03-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #51
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I really think this idea is not great. If you want a manual transmission car, then trade for one. As a 52 year old who has owned about 17 cars (including two marriages, so some were family/wife cars) I can assure you that good and great cars will come and go into your life over the years. Find a manual tranny car you love and trade for it.
Best of luck !!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #52
Lunatic335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysing View Post
I really think this idea is not great. If you want a manual transmission car, then trade for one. As a 52 year old who has owned about 17 cars (including two marriages, so some were family/wife cars) I can assure you that good and great cars will come and go into your life over the years. Find a manual tranny car you love and trade for it.
Best of luck !!
I would simply lose way to much, I paid KKB value of $13k about 2 years ago for my car it had 110k miles. I saw the value 2 days ago...KBB value now is around $8-9k and my car only has 126k miles.... I know it may seem like a bad idea to you but to me its an opportunity to build a car, memories, and meet new people. This car is also one of my dream cars for the fact that I love BMW. I've had 3, E30 325i 5 speed, E46 328ci 5 speed and this E90 335i AT. I've worked on all 3 and modified all 3. This car is one I've wanted for a long time. I have spent so much money on my BMWs and I know I can get more reliability out of a Camry, which I also have as a DD, but its not about that when I buy my BMWs. Its about my passion to work on them. I'm actually signed up for UTI and I am going to choose the BMW course, simply because I love working on them....and because it pays good lol. I appreciate your concern but I'm still going through with MY build. Thank you.
      03-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #53
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic335
Quote:

I'm keeping the car for good. Resale value is garbage compared to what I paid! I would lose to much. I don't mind keeping it that's why I'd like to go ahead with the transfer. I'm doing the install ie. dropping the old auto components and put ing in the 6 speed. Only thing I will NOT do it programming.... so my question is...what's VO? that way I know how to describe what needs to be done to the Indy shop just in case. I don't think anyone in my area has done the swap so the guys may not know what exactly needs to be done so that's why I ask now.
VO. Vehicle Order

Essentially this is a string of values that define your car. Think of it as the DNA. Duplicate copies are stored in two separate modules for redundancy. Any time a module is replaced or reprogrammed it checks the VO and populates parameters as required. An example would be the range display on the instrument cluster will default to mpg on a US cars and liters per 100 km on a EU car. The cluster would also use this data to display current gear for a Manual vs. D for an Automatic.

Some items can be recoded at any time but others such as powerclass are locked and can not be modified.

From memory the code for an automatic is $205. Delete that from the VO, update the effected modules and the car becomes a Manual.

There are plenty of people around that are very good at this. Unfortunately I'm not one of them but I'm pretty sure you could get one to configure this in you car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #54
Lunatic335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VO. Vehicle Order

Essentially this is a string of values that define your car. Think of it as the DNA. Duplicate copies are stored in two separate modules for redundancy. Any time a module is replaced or reprogrammed it checks the VO and populates parameters as required. An example would be the range display on the instrument cluster will default to mpg on a US cars and liters per 100 km on a EU car. The cluster would also use this data to display current gear for a Manual vs. D for an Automatic.

Some items can be recoded at any time but others such as powerclass are locked and can not be modified.

From memory the code for an automatic is $205. Delete that from the VO, update the effected modules and the car becomes a Manual.

There are plenty of people around that are very good at this. Unfortunately I'm not one of them but I'm pretty sure you could get one to configure this in you car.
Nice! I had no idea! Before this thread I always thought the computer portions of the car would have to come from a donor car. Learned something new! I'm sure there are plenty of guys in my area that know some things about how to mess with them, a lot of conversations, custom projects and such but never seen a tranny swap. Hopefully its not to complicated for them once everything is installed. Thanks for the info! Now I need to start looking around and hoard parts lol
      03-12-2016, 01:21 AM   #55
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic335 View Post
No update? I'm looking to do this to my 335i. I'm going to start hoarding parts so I can install them myself and then take it to an Indy for the programming. Also, will any e9x 6speed work with the N54? Or dose it have to come off of an N54? I'm guessing the ecu can be left alone, only the programming done to it since it was mentioned earlier, correct? I have an 07' e90 AT sport package.
Yes you definitely want to use an N54 or N55 transmission. I'm in the process of swapping my broken N52 transmission for a beefier N54 transmission. The N54 transmission is longer and wider, also the input shaft has a much larger spline. Looks like N52 tranny is good up to around the 400ftlb torque range. Can see the size difference in these pics...

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #56
hz_diesel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335ix

sub'd I would be interested in the future
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 11:37 PM   #57
Bassman79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I'd be interested in hearing about this too. I have an e91 and would love to swap to manual. Finding a used MT wagon was impossible so went with AT.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #58
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I'm confused why one would need more than 400ft/lb capability with the n52, but if you're already breaking them then that's a smart move.

Longer trans necessitate diff driveshaft then too?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #59
DigiDon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I'm confused why one would need more than 400ft/lb capability with the n52, but if you're already breaking them then that's a smart move.

Longer trans necessitate diff driveshaft then too?
Yes making power in the 400ftlb range.

Yes needed shorter driveshaft.
Still waiting on a part from Germany to complete the swap.

I'll do a write up with all the parts necessary for the conversion as soon as it's driving and I confirm all works well together.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #60
Rollen
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 MY08

DONT DO IT

I did this for my Acura TL 2006 everything was suppose to be "plug and play" but little did I know that the WHOLE dash had to be removed the engine harness, transmission, engine body frame, center console, speedometer, ecu, clutch pedal and bracket and then on top of that you'll need a new flywheel and clutch. I did it on my TL because I had a few friends help me do it cheap for 2,000. The whole process took me 7 months to complete with lots of towing, lots of hunting of parts and lots of struggles. I ended up spending 3,500~ for the whole thing and was not satisfied. Their was no room for the clutch peddle and my firewall became really weak from drilling and placing a fabricated custom mount for the pedal. They said the TL MT and AT were exactly the same and just needed parts swapped. IT was not as simple as that at all and a BMW with a very ADVANCE electrical system much more so then a acura is gonna make you spend a shit ton of money and you're gonna have to find every harness and every mount, frame to replace it the auto. None of it will be obvious and you'll have to take the whole car apart just to find the pieces you'll need.

I regret ever doing that and advise any one who has a PAID OFF OWNED car to just fucking sell it and buy a new one with MT... It's cheaper.

Also I paid retail price for my TL and had the same thought process " oh this is my baby I'm never letting go of it it's gonna be passed down to my kids I love my car it's amazing It's lost all value it's not worth trading" WROOOOOOOOOOOOOONG

JUST TRADE for gods sakes. It'll be cheaper replacing the performance parts to OEM parts then to destroy a great car.

Last edited by Rollen; 04-05-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 09:49 AM   #61
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

hubris

you don't have to remove the entire dash to do an MT swap on an E90. We all know Acura sucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #62
Rollen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
hubris

you don't have to remove the entire dash to do an MT swap on an E90. We all know Acura sucks.
Do what you will. I've said my peace . GL on the build.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #63
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollen View Post
I had a few friends help me do it cheap for 2,000. The whole process took me 7 months to complete
No offense, but that sounds like your biggest problem right there. If it took 7 months, your friends did not know what they were doing. I know a few people who swapped manuals into various hondas/acuras over the course of a weekend and never had any issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #64
Rollen
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
No offense, but that sounds like your biggest problem right there. If it took 7 months, your friends did not know what they were doing. I know a few people who swapped manuals into various hondas/acuras over the course of a weekend and never had any issues at all.
You're assuming my friends were amateurs lol. When I say friends I say my buddies who own shops, lifts and tuner cars I WISHED I could do just as good as them.

We went through all the wiring schematics, checked all the catalogs, brought in a expert on ECU flashing that had the OEM acura programming machine.We even had a donor car that gave up most of the parts that weren't worn after a part out. Which is how I thank my lucky stars that I was able to get a subframe.

Also that OEM Acura programmer came in handy when every Acura dealership refused to program anything on my car because of the swap. smh hope you have a lot of connects.

Just a reminder this was a 2006 Acura TL not a 1990's Integra or honda Civic.

Last edited by Rollen; 04-05-2016 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #65
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I'm doing a 6MT swap into my E91 later this year. It's not a very involved process, and I'm going to working with two friends who have already done multiple 6MT swaps not to mention this weekend finishing up converting an E46 325iT auto to a complete E46 M3T. Manual swaps are pieces of cake for these guys at this point.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #66
lexae
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6-speed iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Lol....this is like adding a penis to a woman
I disagree. Its like removing a penis from a woman. Women shouldn't have penises, and BMWs should not have automatics.
Hahaha well said sir
Appreciate 0