E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MILVS Review

02-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #45
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Lemme know how to get a set of MILVs.
Here you go-

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436970
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #46
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Is that 'smellier exhaust' due to the MILVs or the Tune? More fuel, more smell.

Not that it really matters as they go hand in hand.
It's hard to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91Swagger View Post
Thanks for the review w37, is your car 6mt?
It's 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #47
CobraMarty
Major
Rep

Quote:
Is that 'smellier exhaust' due to the MILVs or the Tune? More fuel, more smell.

Not that it really matters as they go hand in hand.
Last night I talked with my son, bpas328xi, and he suggested that the smell...

-if it started just after start up, could be from a few drops of oil falling on the exhaust manifold during VC removal or replacement or oil drips off the head when the VC was off

-if it started shortly after driving, especially spirited driving, that the VC gasket could have shifted and didn't seat correctly during re-installation. They are difficult to keep in place during install. And with driving, especially when higher crankcase pressure occurs like when spirited driving, some of the oil oozed out of the VC gasket leak and fell onto the exhaust.

These sound like the most likely culprits if there is a 'smell' after the MILVs and tune install.

Like I have said before, the VC R+R is the most time consuming and difficult part of the install.

Last edited by CobraMarty; 02-25-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #48
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:

Like I have said before, the VC R+R is the most time consuming and difficult part of the install.
Aye, but it's well worth it though. Like I said, my buddy's auto n54 had a much harder time trying to pass me haha.

BTW Marty do you want my old, non-modified valve lift support blocks?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #49
CobraMarty
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xencer View Post
BTW Marty do you want my old, non-modified valve lift support blocks?
Sure do and I will refund you $40 for the trouble. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #50
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Can I assume the MILVs are applicable to the N51 motor as well? And if so, what are the expected gains adding this to an N51 with stock 3IM, PE exhaust, Euro airbox, and BPC tune? Would it yield similar gains to the N52 numbers?

It seems like this is the logical next step with my car, but since the SULEV warranty extends to the VCG, I'm not quite in the same boat as others when the VCG eventually fails as it will be covered. But if I get something substantial out of the MILVs and updated BPC tune I might just go ahead and do it and wait for the replaced VCG to fail in the future (I should have another 5 years/100k miles left on the SULEV warranty on my 2008).
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #51
CobraMarty
Major
Rep

SULEV warranty, Ha, sometimes you luck out.

Install the MILVs and if the gasket leaks afterwards, take it in for warranty. They will not notice the MILVs.

Power on the N51?
I don't see why it wouldn't respond the same as the N52. Maybe someone smarter and more experienced with the N51 will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #52
Xencer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Can I assume the MILVs are applicable to the N51 motor as well? And if so, what are the expected gains adding this to an N51 with stock 3IM, PE exhaust, Euro airbox, and BPC tune? Would it yield similar gains to the N52 numbers?

It seems like this is the logical next step with my car, but since the SULEV warranty extends to the VCG, I'm not quite in the same boat as others when the VCG eventually fails as it will be covered. But if I get something substantial out of the MILVs and updated BPC tune I might just go ahead and do it and wait for the replaced VCG to fail in the future (I should have another 5 years/100k miles left on the SULEV warranty on my 2008).
A valve cover gasket replacement takes a few hours, and you can get one from Napa for less than $40. I've had the valve cover off 3 times for this car, once to do the gasket, second time to do the eccentric cam sensor, third for MILVs. Still haven't found an easy way to get the valve cover out from between the cylinder head and the cowl though.

If you have a 6MT car you need this mod. Nothing else to be said, really. Since your motor has the N51, I think you can get the same power as a N52, it's detuned from the factory, not sure about that or what other differences but I've seen an N51 with the 3 stage intake make the same power.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #53
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

If I recall correctly the N51 has a lower compression ratio but gets the 3IM to make the same power as the N52 with a standard manifold.

If that’s right then maybe the N51 would not make the same power potentially as a N52?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #54
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
If I recall correctly the N51 has a lower compression ratio but gets the 3IM to make the same power as the N52 with a standard manifold.

If that’s right then maybe the N51 would not make the same power potentially as a N52?
That is precisely what I was thinking, and the reason for the post.

CobraMarty Can you confirm or speculate?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:02 PM   #55
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

N51 will be lower overall, but any % gains will be similar. If you were going to do it I wouldn't let having an N51 stop you.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-26-2018, 12:19 AM   #56
E91Swagger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36S52; E91N52

Any difference between used set and new set? Thinking getting the used set and spend the savings on OEM BMW VCG kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:18 AM   #57
CobraMarty
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91Swagger View Post
Any difference between used set and new set? Thinking getting the used set and spend the savings on OEM BMW VCG kit.
The used supports have 4 'polished' areas/lines where the intermediate rocker roller rides. There is NO wear in this area on any that I have seen. You can't even feel the difference of the polished or a line/groove.

The used ones are slightly harder than the new ones. This only matters to the machinist. He thinks that they are getting heat hardened with all the engine cycles and run time. But he says this process usually takes over 500*. Maybe it is a repeat cycle low temperature hardening type process.

The only real difference is they are in short supply. Only a few get returned. Last trip to the machinist I took 3 used sets and 38 new sets.
It doesn't matter to me, I make the same on either set. I just pass along the savings to you guys.

So as of now I have no used sets and only new set, Sorry.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      03-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #58
snub-nose 28
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SGM 128i Cp 6MT ZSP/ZPP

Garage List
Like I have said before, the VC R+R is the most time consuming and difficult part of the install.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
The used supports have 4 'polished' areas/lines where the intermediate rocker roller rides. There is NO wear in this area on any that I have seen. You can't even feel the difference of the polished or a line/groove.

The used ones are slightly harder than the new ones. This only matters to the machinist. He thinks that they are getting heat hardened with all the engine cycles and run time. But he says this process usually takes over 500*. Maybe it is a repeat cycle low temperature hardening type process.

The only real difference is they are in short supply. Only a few get returned. Last trip to the machinist I took 3 used sets and 38 new sets.
It doesn't matter to me, I make the same on either set. I just pass along the savings to you guys.

So as of now I have no used sets and only new set, Sorry.
CM,

I must have got the last set of used. Mine will be coming back shortly - there's one set of 66k in the pipeline!
m3 under|eibach 28mm f-sway|oem 12mm r-sway|3.46...135i 'auto' diff-yes!|avant garde m621 19x8.5 square|mich pss4s|koni fsd|h&r sport|ecs e46 m3 trans mts|fogs delete|tower pin mod -2.20|hpa 1m m3 strut bar|3m tint|afe stg2 cai|akg m3 rsfb|ecs trailing arms|dinan r-stops|bmwp ssk|135i brembo+stoptech slot|braided lines|supersprint rez delete|disa 3s intk|bespoke strg wheel|mudflap4x|milvs+bpc remap|alcantara trim|armrest & r hdrest delete|solid rubber mounts
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #59
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Getting MILVs installed tomorrow... might have it back by tomorrow night! Tuesday at the latest!

Update: Hoping to drop by FedEx by Friday to send my used set back to you, Marty!
Long days...
MILVs installed, was told the engine looks very clean (best news I have heard today), and just pulled the updated tune down, but it seems like I got a Stage II update vs. The alpha N that I wanted.
It is raining and I don't feel like getting soaked to swap sensors. Hopefully a better update tomorrow...

Last edited by Noir; 03-06-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #60
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Anyone know if this will work for the 2.5L N52B25 that came in the Canadian model 323i?
Same parts will fit?

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks to OP and others for finding yet another way to maximize potential from this platform!
      03-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #61
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Should fit. Not sure about the gains on an N52B25 though.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #62
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Getting MILVs installed tomorrow... might have it back by tomorrow night! Tuesday at the latest!

Update: Hoping to drop by FedEx by Friday to send my used set back to you, Marty!
Long days...
MILVs installed, was told the engine looks very clean (best news I have heard today), and just pulled the updated tune down, but it seems like I got a Stage II update vs. The alpha N that I wanted.
It is raining and I don't feel like getting soaked to swap sensors. Hopefully a better update tomorrow...
Alfa N runs on the MAF too, just not as well. Unless you are running a custom intake, I wouldn’t have bothered.

Anyhow, if you DID run it with your MAF, and it’s the Alfa N tune, you’ll have to swap back to stock and reupload it with the Iat in place - make sure you reset all adaptations, including valvetronic.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      03-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #63
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Should fit. Not sure about the gains on an N52B25 though.
I imagine gains would be similar in terms of relative gains and feel. Obviously final numbers will be lower due to less displacement and engine output.

Am I missing something?
      03-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #64
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post

Long days...
Alfa N runs on the MAF too, just not as well. Unless you are running a custom intake, I wouldnÂÂ’t have bothered.

Anyhow, if you DID run it with your MAF, and itÂÂ’s the Alfa N tune, youÂÂ’ll have to swap back to stock and reupload it with the Iat in place - make sure you reset all adaptations, including valvetronic.
I do have the IAT sensor in its place.. euro box w/ dry filter, nothing fancy. I'm actually running Alfa N right now, just not set for the MILVs
      03-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #65
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

I have a tuned N51 and this would be last power adder I will do to the car, when will I buy these? TBD! I have a lot of suspension work starting next week on the 15th.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #66
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
TL;DR: Get the milvs - lots more torque and power. I felt more difference with this tune than with swapping out headers.

My mods:
AA headers, 3 stage intake manifold, MILVS, revo hose, BPC tune

Long version:

I installed milvs 2-3 weeks ago.

Installation:
The process for the installation of milvs is the same as replacing your valve cover gasket, with one extra step - installing the supports aka milvs. The install is very straight forward. For installation you can check out my videos posted on youtube (search for milvs). Tips I can share are: make sure you put the washer all the way through and make sure that the cam lobes are in the right position. If you get these two things right, you will be able to slide out milvs by hand (or by very light push with screwdriver). Another tip: Make sure your new milvs are seated properly.

Once removed valve cover, the swap took about 3-7 min per cylinder. It's really not difficult at all.

Initial impression (without tune):
Upon staring up the car, car idled normal - same as before. There were no idle fluctuations. No weird noises. Pushing the accelerator did not cause engine to explode (this was great feeling).

Side note: I did not reset adaptations after the install. I have no means to do such as I have no cable to hook up my comp and the car.

During the first drive car actually felt as if it lost power. I was starting to get disappointed. After about 20 miles of driving, the lost power was regained. I drove about 300 miles on this set up (without tune). Car did not feel any stronger or weaker than before the install. There was no noticeable adaptation. Another forum member TheAxiom reported the same observation. I was advised that in order to get the full potential, I had to have a tune. So...

The tune:
At the time of this post, the only tuner who offers off the shelf tune for this modification is BPC. Working with Randall and Bob@BPC was pleasure as always.

Once the issue with the handheld was sorted, the install was flawless. Once again, I did not reset adaptations.

For the first 30 miles on the tune there was no difference. I attribute this to adaptations. However, after that initial period, the car just woke up. Bear in mind: Prior to this my car did not feel like it was low on power or weak in any sense. BUT this... this was a whole other level. Since the tune I put on about 400 miles.

The car just pulls and pulls. There is bunch of torque from as low as 1,000 RPM. I kid you not, I can be in 6th gear driving along at <40mph (35-37 to be exact) and push the accelerator pedal and the car just moves. Before, the car would just stumble, but now it just pulls. This extra torque makes daily commute oh so much more pleasurable.

This torque (power) increase is felt in any gear across the entire power band especially between 2k and 5k rpm . However, tbh, i don't think I picked up much on the top end due to restrictive exhaust (I still have stock exhaust).

TheAxiom I hope you don't mind me quoting you, but like he said...

... and I couldn't agree more. So much more power everywhere. The disa dip around 4k is gone. With this mod, BPC's tune feels as smooth as the new AA tune, but with WAY more tq.

I actually had to learn how to drive my car again in rush hour traffic as the car is so damn response at any rpm - yes I keep repeating this since it's that impressive.

Fuel economy:
Since the install (and tune), my average fuel economy actually went up. During my commute (70 % hwy and 30 % city) prior to this I was averaging about 24 mpg (9.8 l/100). After the mod (and tune), my average consumption went to 27-28mpg (8.7 - 8.4 l/100). I attribute this to increased tq - you spend less time pushing the accelerator to achieve same acceleration as before.

Dyno:
I have reached out to my dyno shop to schedule another dyno run and see what the actual gains are. Unfortunately, they are swamped prepping for the upcoming season and might not be able to see me until mid to late March. Once dyno is done, I will update this post with results.

My unsolicited advice on tuning this engine:
Get 3 stage intake manifold. Get revo hose and remove carbon filter. Get milvs. Get BMW PE. Get BPC tune. With listed items, you will get power and awesome sound. I felt more difference with this tune than with swapping out headers. It might not be even worth getting headers.

About milvs:

What else is do you want to know?
Dyno.
Appreciate 1