E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Mass State Inspection software couldn't read updated DME/ECU :: new update

10-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #23
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335XI (sold)/E92 M3 (sold)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I did in April with the new machines. Just MHD loaded with my custom flash tune. Cat not ready. Passed with flying colors.
I believe this might only be an issue with an actual non dealer OEM BMW ECU software upgrade; since with MHD/JB4, the actual BMW ECU software version doesn't get upgraded (I think?).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #24
crystalline
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
I did in April with the new machines. Just MHD loaded with my custom flash tune. Cat not ready. Passed with flying colors.
Passed today on MHD OTS 2+. Cat showed as not ready. No questions asked by the garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline View Post
Passed today on MHD OTS 2+. Cat showed as not ready. No questions asked by the garage.
That is good know.

I have yet to get retested. Will probably stop by my local inspection shop to try again with original ecu software version that was installed when I purchased the car (which passed last year).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #26
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
So went to the motorist assistance center and they were pretty much useless. They couldn't make a connection through the obd with the state software but could connect using independent software. They said something about an issue with the generic comms between modules.

I mentioned that the previous owner had updated the software himself as well back in early 2016 and the car had passed in late 2016 and late 2017 with the old inspection software. They admitted it was most likely because of the old inspection software and that the new software does things differently.

They basically said it was my responsibility to remedy.

Looks like I will need to go to a bmw dealer to figure this out. Im gonna submit a complaint to the RMV while I'm at it as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:14 PM   #27
crystalline
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by revengeismine View Post
I believe this might only be an issue with an actual non dealer OEM BMW ECU software upgrade; since with MHD/JB4, the actual BMW ECU software version doesn't get upgraded (I think?).
Not entirely sure but mine shows an update to 4/2014 and but the car and most modules are I level 5/2010. So MHD probably does do some sort of update?

Unfortunately I think you are on the right track. You probably have to pay BMW to update/reset all the modules and test the communication. You could try to do that your self but I'm sure there is a deadline you are up against for MAC...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #28
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalline View Post
Not entirely sure but mine shows an update to 4/2014 and but the car and most modules are I level 5/2010. So MHD probably does do some sort of update?

Unfortunately I think you are on the right track. You probably have to pay BMW to update/reset all the modules and test the communication. You could try to do that your self but I'm sure there is a deadline you are up against for MAC...
I think MHD does do some sort of update but from talking to other people, I don't think MHD modifies the existing BMW software; which is why there are guys with MHD or JB4 here (like you and a few in this thread) in Mass that are passing emissions no problem. I hope through all this my Alpina flash and my TPMS code out doesn't affect this whole thing (not sure why it would but this is Massachusetts). I am hoping this is just an non-authentic software version issue and it is as easy as an hour of diagnostics and an hour of updating to an authorized version.

At this point, I am not gonna do the state any favors. As far as I know, since the software couldn't connect with the DME, the system does not see me as being failed; only as a turnaway...so I think I will get in touch with a BMW dealer but I am gonna stretch it out as long as I can.

Last edited by BeaterM3; 10-19-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #29
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well after all this time, I brought my 335i into BMW to get the ECU reflashed. I am trying to sell the car and can't sell it in Mass unless it can pass inspection.

Well, long story short, the ECU reflash did not solved the no communication with the state software.

One tidbit that BMW mentioned was the they could not communicate with the transmission module (I forget what they called it). Which makes no sense since there are no transmission faults. Tranny shifts fine. No issues. I did have an Alpina Transmissions flash done and a while after that, I flashed XHP with no issues communicating with the TCU.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #30
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well after all this time, I brought my 335i into BMW to get the ECU reflashed. I am trying to sell the car and can't sell it in Mass unless it can pass inspection.

Well, long story short, the ECU reflash did not solved the no communication with the state software.

One tidbit that BMW mentioned was the they could not communicate with the transmission module (I forget what they called it). Which makes no sense since there are no transmission faults. Tranny shifts fine. No issues. I did have an Alpina Transmissions flash done and a while after that, I flashed XHP with no issues communicating with the TCU.
Man I hate to hear that. I know both you and I have spent countless time trying to figure it out. It's definitely a mystery for sure...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #31
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Man I hate to hear that. I know both you and I have spent countless time trying to figure it out. It's definitely a mystery for sure...
I'm hoping they are incorrect about not being able to read the tcu and I can get then to reinstall the OEM tranny software and hopefully that works in making a comms connection to the state inspection software.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:42 AM   #32
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Same here except September; MHD with off-the-shelf tune in this case, Cat not ready. No problems

Last edited by dpaul; 10-30-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00
      10-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #33
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think MHD does do some sort of update but from talking to other people, I don't think MHD modifies the existing BMW software; which is why there are guys with MHD or JB4 here (like you and a few in this thread) in Mass that are passing emissions no problem. I hope through all this my Alpina flash and my TPMS code out doesn't affect this whole thing (not sure why it would but this is Massachusetts). I am hoping this is just an non-authentic software version issue and it is as easy as an hour of diagnostics and an hour of updating to an authorized version.

At this point, I am not gonna do the state any favors. As far as I know, since the software couldn't connect with the DME, the system does not see me as being failed; only as a turnaway...so I think I will get in touch with a BMW dealer but I am gonna stretch it out as long as I can.
For the record, MHD does modify code in the DME, not the program code but the code controlling OBDII read access to certain memory areas so that you cannot read out the tune they sell you. However, this does not affect other OBDII calls. Also, I have coded out the TPMS as well, no problems with inspection. I have no experience with trans flashes but cannot immediately see why that would be a problem.

Your problem is unusual. It seemed most likely that the problem related to your PPK flash but the failure of a reflash at the dealer to solve the issue would argue against that. Except that BMW dealers are not savvy about software. They just rely on ISTA-D/P to tell them what to do and it is not always the right solution. Do you have BMW standard tools installed on a laptop, a K/D-CAN cable and a power source for keeping battery voltage up while flashing? If so, try reflashing the DME to stock yourself with WinKFP.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #34
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
For the record, MHD does modify code in the DME, not the program code but the code controlling OBDII read access to certain memory areas so that you cannot read out the tune they sell you. However, this does not affect other OBDII calls. Also, I have coded out the TPMS as well, no problems with inspection. I have no experience with trans flashes but cannot immediately see why that would be a problem.

Your problem is unusual. It seemed most likely that the problem related to your PPK flash but the failure of a reflash at the dealer to solve the issue would argue against that. Except that BMW dealers are not savvy about software. They just rely on ISTA-D/P to tell them what to do and it is not always the right solution. Do you have BMW standard tools installed on a laptop, a K/D-CAN cable and a power source for keeping battery voltage up while flashing? If so, try reflashing the DME to stock yourself with WinKFP.
It's good to know you have passed with a TPMS code out (I figured it had nothing to do with emissions - Joe from TGS and the MAC center guys told me this as well).

We've already tried flashing back to stock with WINKFP. Still didn't connect to the emissions software.

BMW is now telling me that during the reprogramming (they actually reprogram all the modules when they do this I guess), the installation stopped and cancelled at the TCM/EGS module (Transmission module). The guys at the MAC centers did tell me that the emissions software first makes a connection with specific modules before connecting for emissions. There might be a chance the TCM is corrupt and causing a break in the connection loop; hence the no connection. But BMW doesn't think that the TCM module has any bearing on emissions though.

BMW said they have a couple more things they can troubleshoot but I have a feeling this whole problem lays within the TCM/EGS. Which would suck since I am trying to sell this thing and the last thing I want is to spend more $$ on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #35
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did you try flashing the trans back to stock using Winkfp? Hard to believe the Alpina software would cause a problem but going fully back to stock cannot hurt
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #36
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you try flashing the trans back to stock using Winkfp? Hard to believe the Alpina software would cause a problem but going fully back to stock cannot hurt
I actually reflashed to XHP about 6 months ago with no issue. This was after having the emissions connectivity issue.

So there has been a new development:

BMW pulled the OBD port out and found this: someone had spliced a wire and added a resistor to the wiring. Never seen something like this before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #37
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually reflashed to XHP about 6 months ago with no issue. This was after having the emissions connectivity issue.

So there has been a new development:

BMW pulled the OBD port out and found this: someone had spliced a wire and added a resistor to the wiring. Never seen something like this before.
I've had my ODBII port connector out and certainly seen nothing like that.

That black rectangle is a "resistor"? Never seen a resistor like that. Why do they think it's a resistor? Thoughts from BMW about the reason for this odd thing?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #38
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had my ODBII port connector out and certainly seen nothing like that.

That black rectangle is a "resistor"? Never seen a resistor like that. Why do they think it's a resistor? Thoughts from BMW about the reason for this odd thing?
the guy I have been dealing with at bmw said that the black rectangle clip holding the spliced wire has a resistor on the other side.

They said it might have something to do with a previous piggyback; maybe JB4. Which matches what Joe from TGS said to me as well - some sort of bypass to stop comms while not in the stock map.

I will find out in a couple hours whether it is the culprit. I never would have thought to check the wiring for something like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #39
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the guy I have been dealing with at bmw said that clip in the pic has a resistor on the other side.

They said it might have something to do with a previous piggyback; maybe JB4. Which matches what Joe from TGS said to me as well - some sort of bypass to stop comms while not in the stock map.

I will find out in a couple hours whether it is the culprit.
Mystery

Kinda doubt the JB4 explanation - I ran JB4 with back-end flash for some time - never heard of anyone doing anything like this. Why would anyone want to "stop comms" for any reason? JB4 of course completely eliminates OBDII access to the DME when it is active (in any map other than Map 0).

CAN bus runs to devices are typically terminated with resistors to insure (short explanation) that signals are not 'reflected' and back-propagated from the cable ends. The run to the OBDII port is short and of course, there is no device there normally so no resistors. Your CAN bus is clearly functioning OK because you are able to connect with WinKFP and ISTA so the question is why/how this resistor should affect the inspection stations ODBII connection.

OBDII is a 'higher level' protocol that can connect using several different methods of communication (CAN bus is a method of communication). I wonder if someone connected something to one of the other OBDII connector pins that is confusing the inspection machine into attempting to connect with a non-CAN method of communication (i.e. K-line or J1850).

Again, a mystery - sure hope surgery resolves the issue
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #40
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Mystery

Kinda doubt the JB4 explanation - I ran JB4 with back-end flash for some time - never heard of anyone doing anything like this. Why would anyone want to "stop comms" for any reason? JB4 of course completely eliminates OBDII access to the DME when it is active (in any map other than Map 0).

CAN bus runs to devices are typically terminated with resistors to insure (short explanation) that signals are not 'reflected' and back-propagated from the cable ends. The run to the OBDII port is short and of course, there is no device there normally so no resistors. Your CAN bus is clearly functioning OK because you are able to connect with WinKFP and ISTA so the question is why/how this resistor should affect the inspection stations ODBII connection.

OBDII is a 'higher level' protocol that can connect using several different methods of communication (CAN bus is a method of communication). I wonder if someone connected something to one of the other OBDII connector pins that is confusing the inspection machine into attempting to connect with a non-CAN method of communication (i.e. K-line or J1850).

I have read about instances of people able to connect to code readers/scanners and flash apps but not able to make comms with emissions. Turns out one or 2 of the pins were corroded or not seated correctly. Once the pin/or wiring were repaired, comms with emissions worked. It seems emission connection method might rely on a specific combo of pins that maybe your typical scanner or flash app doesnt use? Idk.

I might post a thread in one of the other discussion areas (maybe coding or electronics) to see if any has any idea of what that clip can be for.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #41
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Mystery

IT PASSED! BMW removed the resistor, tested all the connections and rewired the harness and it passed emissions!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #42
Hadley
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Congrats man, sounded like a major headache
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #43
BeaterM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadley View Post
Congrats man, sounded like a major headache
Thanks man.

It was a total pain in the ass. I could never even just enjoy the car over the last year and a half with all the things that had to be remedied (other than the emissions as well).

I am glad that this is over with and I can turn the page with the car. I am hoping I can sell it and break even with all the expense I have had to put into the damn thing lol
Appreciate 0