E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Akropovic slip on too quiet! + secondary cat delete+ pics+video!!!!!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
OMRITIME's Avatar
Israel
76
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: tel-aviv

iTrader: (1)

Akropovic slip on too quiet! + secondary cat delete+ pics+video!!!!!!!

So I have the aa dp and loved the sound aspeacly the "grrrrr" at first and second gear when I down shift
I got a nice deal on the akrapovic stainless steel slip on.
I install it last week
And I'm kind of disappointed its sound quiet
It's more bass but that's it ,all the way up to high revs it's the same note
I don't know what to do
I'm thinking on secondary cat delete, I will do it tomorrow but I'm not sure if its help

I'm afraid to admit but I think the stock sound better

With the akropovic I feel more power the car less restricted at lower rev but where is the sound gone?!

I don't know what to do now


Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  117.5 KB
__________________
2008 e92 335 FBO
2011 e92 M3 ZCP DCT
2015 f82 M4 DCT

Last edited by OMRITIME; 06-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
135Pats's Avatar
United_States
423
Rep
6,496
Posts

Drives: A few BMWs
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (3)

I think? Akra slip on is just the axle back mufflers right? If so yank out the midpipes and swap them with something more aggressive, I think meisterschaft makes straight piping for the mids, not positive if they do it for E92 but I'd imagine so. Catless DPs+GThaus catless mids+Akrapovic mufflers.....That would be quite nice OP. But yea, Akra is not known for being super loud on most automobile platforms, it's more of a refined tone, and obviously the quality if just off the charts.
__________________
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Other stuff...652WHP

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
OMRITIME's Avatar
Israel
76
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: tel-aviv

iTrader: (1)

I think the mid pipe will be waste of money
And will make a lot of drone
What u think on the secondary cat delete ,shuold help?

I bought 2500usd muffler And the stock one sound better



Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I think? Akra slip on is just the axle back mufflers right? If so yank out the midpipes and swap them with something more aggressive, I think meisterschaft makes straight piping for the mids, not positive if they do it for E92 but I'd imagine so. Catless DPs+GThaus catless mids+Akrapovic mufflers.....That would be quite nice OP. But yea, Akra is not known for being super loud on most automobile platforms, it's more of a refined tone, and obviously the quality if just off the charts.
__________________
2008 e92 335 FBO
2011 e92 M3 ZCP DCT
2015 f82 M4 DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
skinrock's Avatar
223
Rep
3,348
Posts

Drives: 2016 i8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Matrix

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [5.00]
Definitely a tame exhaust, but it was a noticeable improvement over stock. 5000+ RPM is where it really shines, a much more exotic note.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
sickem
Freude am fahren
sickem's Avatar
57
Rep
1,968
Posts

Drives: E90 N54
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRITIME View Post
I think the mid pipe will be waste of money
And will make a lot of drone
What u think on the secondary cat delete ,shuold help?

I bought 2500usd muffler And the stock one sound better
I could be wrong here, but I don't think E92s have secondary cats. I know they don't have resonators...just an x pipe

Edit: ^^this is wrong lol
__________________
Cobb E40 PROtune by Jake@PTF/RR catless DPs/aFe DCI/ETS 5" FMIC/ER CP/Forge DVs/Alpina B3 TCU flash/BMW Perf. Exhaust./BMW Performance Style 313s/M-Tech Rear

Last edited by sickem; 05-31-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
135Pats
Major General
135Pats's Avatar
United_States
423
Rep
6,496
Posts

Drives: A few BMWs
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (3)

Well if you're really worried about drone, it's going to be tough to get an aggressive sounding exhaust setup. Deleting the secondary cats will make it sound more aggressive, but you'll also have more drone. And doing that will essentially be the same as aftermarket catless mids, except not quite as free flowing since the OE pipes have some un-necessary bends in them. The Akra has mufflers on it, so I personally wouldn't be super concerned about drone or rasp with straight piping from the turbos to the mufflers...but this is all subjective. The only factual statement I can give you is that aggressive exhausts almost always have significant drone and rasp on N54s. It's just the nature of FI motors, the sound will always trend towards a boomy/drony tone when you remove muffling/cats/resonators.
__________________
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Other stuff...652WHP

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
OMRITIME's Avatar
Israel
76
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: tel-aviv

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Well if you're really worried about drone, it's going to be tough to get an aggressive sounding exhaust setup. Deleting the secondary cats will make it sound more aggressive, but you'll also have more drone. And doing that will essentially be the same as aftermarket catless mids, except not quite as free flowing since the OE pipes have some un-necessary bends in them. The Akra has mufflers on it, so I personally wouldn't be super concerned about drone or rasp with straight piping from the turbos to the mufflers...but this is all subjective. The only factual statement I can give you is that aggressive exhausts almost always have significant drone and rasp on N54s. It's just the nature of FI motors, the sound will always trend towards a boomy/drony tone when you remove muffling/cats/resonators.
So
If I remove the resonators it will be drony?!
And become louder?!
__________________
2008 e92 335 FBO
2011 e92 M3 ZCP DCT
2015 f82 M4 DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
135Pats
Major General
135Pats's Avatar
United_States
423
Rep
6,496
Posts

Drives: A few BMWs
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRITIME View Post
So
If I remove the resonators it will be drony?!
And become louder?!
Resonator delete=more rasp, more drone, more loud. Whether that is desireable depends on the end user of course. But i'm not well versed on the E92 exhaust design, so I'm not even sure if you have resonators to begin with. IIRC the E92 is more aggressive sounding than the E90 from the factory.
__________________
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Other stuff...652WHP

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
marcus321
Captain
119
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2017 Acura NSX
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Resonator delete=more rasp, more drone, more loud. Whether that is desireable depends on the end user of course. But i'm not well versed on the E92 exhaust design, so I'm not even sure if you have resonators to begin with. IIRC the E92 is more aggressive sounding than the E90 from the factory.
e90 comes with a resonator, e92 do not. I would remove the 2 secondary cats and add some resonators in place. I added 2 vibrant resonators and the sound is much better to me now. I too have a DP and a axle back exhaust(Remus). I love the sound now
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
ken1137
Brigadier General
ken1137's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
3,727
Posts

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
+1...get rid of the secondary cats to mimmic the straight pipe as you see with the mid section from Akrapovic. Add resonator to tame the drone.

Name:  Akra.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  49.9 KB

imo...the Akrapovic only sounds good with a V8 (M3) or the M5. GL!
__________________

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
C ///M
Lieutenant
C ///M's Avatar
30
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: '07 X3 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I heard a full Akrapovic exhaust on a 1M and it was by far the best sounding N54 I've ever heard. But the 1M exhaust is much different than the 3er versions (2 into 1 before the rear axle).
__________________
Prototype 2007 Monaco E83 'X3M' | N54 Swap | Dual Cone | VRSF CP & DPs | CXR Intercooler | ER Dual Oil Coolers | Dual 2.5" w/X-Pipe | M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" BC Forged HB05 | Michelin PSS 265 & 305 | F10 M5 & F80 M3 Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Swaybars | TMS Z4M Camber Arms | Z4 Finned Diff | BMW Perf. Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom M Aerodynamics | CF Trim | M Perf. Carbon Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Perf. SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE & More
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
OMRITIME's Avatar
Israel
76
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: tel-aviv

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
+1...get rid of the secondary cats to mimmic the straight pipe as you see with the mid section from Akrapovic. Add resonator to tame the drone.

Attachment 870380

imo...the Akrapovic only sounds good with a V8 (M3) or the M5. GL!
I see its straight pipe without resonator and probaly full system doesn't make much different to the drone


So i think I delete the secondary cats
And weld just a straight pipe instead
Hope it work
__________________
2008 e92 335 FBO
2011 e92 M3 ZCP DCT
2015 f82 M4 DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
ken1137
Brigadier General
ken1137's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
3,727
Posts

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMRITIME View Post
I see its straight pipe without resonator and probaly full system doesn't make much different to the drone


So i think I delete the secondary cats
And weld just a straight pipe instead
Hope it work
Definitely worth a try...GL! post a vid later.
__________________

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
OMRITIME's Avatar
Israel
76
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: tel-aviv

iTrader: (1)

so
i made the secondary cat delete
its great and actually it eliminate the drone!!!
the turbo spool feel so fast

Name:  image (1).jpeg
Views: 2927
Size:  228.1 KB
Name:  ?????.JPG
Views: 1068
Size:  235.3 KB
__________________
2008 e92 335 FBO
2011 e92 M3 ZCP DCT
2015 f82 M4 DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
2714
Rep
58,624
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (37)

How about a video!?
__________________
|Like us on Facebook||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |PURE Turbos| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|Holiday Sales All December!| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Up to 10% Off!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
Blaster400
Captain
Blaster400's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92 BSM 6AT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Birmingham, MI

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Blaster400
How bad is the smell now that you are completely catless?
__________________
MOTIV 750 ST | MOTIV PI | 100% E85 | Fuel-it Stage 4 LPFP | MOTIV Boost Box + MHD Protune | Quaife | Íhlins | Brembo | Akrapovic
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
TSTARKZ123
New Member
2
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C ///M View Post
I heard a full Akrapovic exhaust on a 1M and it was by far the best sounding N54 I've ever heard. But the 1M exhaust is much different than the 3er versions (2 into 1 before the rear axle).
I concur! I've yet to hear one on the 335 but the 1M sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
OMRITIME's Avatar
Israel
76
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: tel-aviv

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
How about a video!?
Coming soon.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
How bad is the smell now that you are completely catless?
Actually bad and a lot of smoke until car getting warm, today someone on the road told me that my car smoking.....
But about the smell I don't really care I don't smell it inside
__________________
2008 e92 335 FBO
2011 e92 M3 ZCP DCT
2015 f82 M4 DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
OMRITIME
Lieutenant
OMRITIME's Avatar
Israel
76
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: tel-aviv

iTrader: (1)

warm start


__________________
2008 e92 335 FBO
2011 e92 M3 ZCP DCT
2015 f82 M4 DCT
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST