E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Error Display

01-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
ronanb
Rep
Drives: e93 m sport coupe

Error Display

Hi all, its been a while but i just discovered a red coloured image come up on the dash board...its a pic of a steering wheel with a lock above it and a number 1 (i think) in the middle of the lock!

Ive checked the manual and im seeing nothing that looks like it!

Can anyone help me out? Im a bit worried about it as its coloured red and have a long drive ahead of me in the morning.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
The "1" is the keyhole of the lock icon. This icon indicates a ELV fault on the steering wheel. You might get a ratchet sound when this icon appears. Turn the car off, wiggle the steering wheel, restart. If it occurs again, park the car for about fifteen minutes and try again. If you have iDrive you should also be getting a message there saying something about not stopping the engine. At your earliest convenience take it in for service; the sensor needs replacing. Hopefully you're still under warranty.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
From the manual, it would appear to be telling you that your steering lock has not disengaged. If that happens, you cannot start the engine. It then says, if applicable, do not switch the engine off and contact BMW service.

However, that icon does not have a 1 - just the lock and wheel. There is a wheel icon with an exclamation mark - not a 1, which indicates that the power steering isn't working fully.

Either way, a call to your dealer would seem to be in order.

Edit, Floyd beat me to it!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
ronanb
Rep
Drives: e93 m sport coupe

Thanks boys, a call to the dealer it is!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Edit, Floyd beat me to it!
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0