E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Another misfire.Without a car this Xmas. Help!

12-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Msaman
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

Another misfire.Without a car this Xmas. Help!

Hey there,
The car is 318i E90 lcl.
Been reading a lot the last few days. Great place you have here guys.
So straight to the problem. What happened is I left the car with 1l of fuel before I top up the tank. On the way to the petrol station there was a small hill plus congestion and the car start shaking and I got the engine light. I thought no big deal just running out of fuel.
Straight away I topped up and start getting misfire on cylinder 1. Hard to start and really rough idle with rpm fluctuating between 1500 and 300. Sometimes even stalls after a min or two. If i keep the rpm above 1500 is okish but car working only with 3 cylinders.
29CD code and 3104.
I bought 4 coils Bosch and 4 spark plugs Bosch as well.Installing them was easy but this didn't cure my misfire.
So I thought bad injector. I swapped injector 1 and the next one to it Nr.3 I think and still misfires in cylinder 1. What I did next was leave it to idle and start removing the power to different coils.
Removing power to ignition coil 1 it doesn't do anything but if I remove any other coil power cable the car gets worse.
How can I test is there any electricity going to ignition coil 1?
Is it possible to be a eccentric valve sensor or vacuum leak.
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Msaman
Registered
Rep

So today I used an old coil and spark plug connecting it to each ignition coil power harness and they all deliver power.
So my question is why ECU does not recognise there is a new injector in cylinder one ( the one from the cylinder next to it) and still gives me misfires there.
This is the only error code I get.
Unfortunately when I took the injector out I did not replace the teflon seal.
What can happen if this is not replaced and can I drive the car with 3 cylinder to my garage 2-3 miles away ?
Cheers guys
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

You can probably drive it, but unplug the connector to that injector just to be sure it isn't dumping fuel into the cylinder. Other than that, I won't be of much help as there was no 318i E90 in the U.S.

Are these direct injected? If your car/engine is anything like the N54, removing/installing the injectors without replacing seals could result in a compression leak which could definitely result in a misfire.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Msaman
Registered
Rep

yup direct injection.
So if I have swapped the injectors from cylinder 1 and the next one to it why I am still getting misfires in cylinder 1?
Any suggestions on this one?
Appreciate 0