E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help If You Can

07-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #177
Trill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHATX View Post
You can call the dealership and ask, but i would highly suggest ordering them from Tischer - getbmwparts.com

ill email over the file with pics for you shortly.
Hello SHATX im having a similar problem, altough jigging the cable hasnt workout for me, i have interior lights, lock, unlock, and backlight on the dash when i turn on my headlights, but no response from the dash when i insert the Key, i have checked all the fuses, but theyre all OK, im going nuts with this, can you please email me the pics in order for me to check the Fuse box, thanks in advance, and any input is greatly appreciated, my mail is urrumba@gmail.com

Trill.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #178
SHATX
baby chicken eater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Hello SHATX im having a similar problem, altough jigging the cable hasnt workout for me, i have interior lights, lock, unlock, and backlight on the dash when i turn on my headlights, but no response from the dash when i insert the Key, i have checked all the fuses, but theyre all OK, im going nuts with this, can you please email me the pics in order for me to check the Fuse box, thanks in advance, and any input is greatly appreciated, my mail is urrumba@gmail.com

Trill.
Hi Trill,

BMW has an open recall for this issue and can fix it for you.

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #179
Trill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hi SHATX, i bought this BMW on an auction in the US, im currently in Guatemala, i dont think that covers me, or does it? i think ill have to do it myself, still have those pics?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #180
SHATX
baby chicken eater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Hi SHATX, i bought this BMW on an auction in the US, im currently in Guatemala, i dont think that covers me, or does it? i think ill have to do it myself, still have those pics?
Hi Trill,

i would BMW and ask them about the coverage for the recall. I will see if i can find my old laptop with the pics and try to get something over to you.

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #181
E28M5Fan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

2011 M3 JBE failure

Has anyone heard further on getting the M3s included in the 13V-044 recall (JBE and positive battery cable)?

About a month ago, i walk up to the car to start it. Nothing. No lights, no recognition of the key. Nothing. About 30 minutes later, I go get my tools to start to pull the battery. Car starts right up. This happened a couple more times, so i brought it to the dealer.

After telling the dealer i thought it was a fusebox/jbe module/positive battery cable issue like in the 13V-044 recall, the dealer say they "figured" it was the battery. Installed a new battery. Parts and labor $540. But they told me they fixed it.

Few days later, i drive the car (which is parked in an underground garage that is always above 50 degrees) to work for a meeting about 20 miles north. Park in a parking garage in downtown Boston where i work to do some work before leaving for my meeting. Of course, the car wont start. Have to leave it overnight because GEICO cant locate a tow truck that can get under a 6'7" clearance of the garage. Finally get it to the dealer the next day. Couple days later, the dealer tells me "The tech thinks its the JBE module" and "he got it started by pressing really hard under the glove box."

The car has under 50K miles but just came off warranty from the sales date. Not feeling too happy that M3s aren't included in the 13V-044 recall.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #182
jav89
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 2008

positive battery cable to fuseboard no electrics in cabin

Hi ,
I own a BMW e90 318d 2008 with an N47 engine 73k on the clock. I had the same issue as stated above but I am based in the UK. A recall was actioned for the UK market but only 87 cars were included in the recall:
( http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/reca...=Blank&tx=VOSA )
I had no electrics to the cabin but would have power in the battery, engine bay and on some fuses in the glove box.
It would usually happen if I parked the car and locked it, but was very random, sometimes happened when I went to unlock the car in the morning occasionally the alarm would sound too but then magically start again without doing anything . Happened a numerous amounts of places at the most awquad times. When it first occurred it was 8 months ago but slowly started to happen more often. Had the car checked at garages several times but because the issue would never occur at the garage I was just getting bills for a fault that could not be found.
Eventually when driving on the motorway doing 70mph the cars electric complete went on the motorway, no steering, no lights, no hazards nothing just a rolling box. Luckily I was able to avoid any cars and also we just reached the lit part of the motorway.
I straight away after this checked online (I can deal with it not working when parked, but cutting out whilst in motion is a safety issue due to the way the car was built meaning it is a product fault) and could see many people had the same issue which I eventually contacted BMW UK about who are probably the most unhelpful company out there and not willing to take any ownership over the issue.
I then took my car to the dealership and was quoted £450 for fix ($700 ish)
They were not willing to help at all and BMW UK was very dismissive about the whole issue advising my VIN number was not included in the recall but yet had the exact same issue as the recall.
I argued the case and also started a case with VOSA and when collecting my car i managed to budge them from £450 to just £50 for diagnostics .
My car is over 6 years old, I do not have full BMW history and I have no warranty on the car but regardless of those factors the car was built with a safety defect that needs to be addressed by the manufacturers.
“It is possible that the connection between the B+ cable and the Power Distribution Box can become damaged by wear and heat, which is caused by high current flow and high contact resistance. Normally, this will result in a non-start situation after parking the vehicle. However, it is possible that this could, in extreme cases, occur whilst the vehicle is in motion. The driver should be make aware of the issue by flickering of the instrument cluster (dash) or an engine mis-fire; but if the driver does not, then the engine could cut-out without warning.”

Anybody based in UK and your car is not on warranty.... you need to fight. This affects your rights and don’t be bullied or pushed into accepting anything they say or offer unless you feel it’s fair (within reason, don’t expect a new M3).
PM me if you need help raising this issue with your dealership.

:read thethread:
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #183
ScotBeemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D 2010

Faulty Cable Connector Photos?

Hi,

I've the exact same loss of power symptoms you describe in this recall. I'm trying to work out if I have the same type of connector as the one that was recalled in North America i.e. the power cable connector that slots into the back of fuse box.

Does anyone have any photographs of the connector & Fuse Box in question?

I've asked BMW here in the UK but not getting much help at the moment from them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #184
bmwwreck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328I

Wow, thank you thank you thank you. I have been pulling my hair out because of this problem. For me it was intermittent. Would work one day and then the next not work. Then a few hours later car would start.
Had a mechanic check it out and noticed power was getting to starter and alternator but nothing in the cockpit. No lights, locks, etc. Always knew it was a problem when i open the door and say the light not light on the parking light. Car never shut off while driving but may not start when coming back from a store. The other way I knew it would happen if I did not catch it was the clock would reset and the trip odometer would reset.

Found this site and then once I pulled the fuse box I saw the discolored cable.
Called a few dealers and they would not fix my car b/c it has a salvage title so I was on my own.
Was about to order the B+ cable plus fuse box as indicated in service bullieten SI B61 08 11. Dreaded the time it would take to rerun a new cable. Then a dealer saw a new fix that was much easier. They have a fix for the problem that requires much less time.

Fix - Part number 61129312133 - Cable to fix the issue without running a new cable. Yeah. An best part only $25 instead of the $200+ parts. Cable is basically a 2 foot cable with the correct fuse box end on it. Going to put in it today and then button it all back up.

Last edited by bmwwreck; 07-23-2015 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: added info.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #185
hotwired78
Lord
Rep
Drives: AW 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwwreck View Post
Wow, thank you thank you thank you. I have been pulling my hair out because of this problem. For me it was intermittent. Would work one day and then the next not work. Then a few hours later car would start.
Had a mechanic check it out and noticed power was getting to starter and alternator but nothing in the cockpit. No lights, locks, etc. Always knew it was a problem when i open the door and say the light not light on the parking light. Car never shut off while driving but may not start when coming back from a store. The other way I knew it would happen if I did not catch it was the clock would reset and the trip odometer would reset.

Found this site and then once I pulled the fuse box I saw the discolored cable.
Called a few dealers and they would not fix my car b/c it has a salvage title so I was on my own.
Was about to order the B+ cable plus fuse box as indicated in service bullieten SI B61 08 11. Dreaded the time it would take to rerun a new cable. Then a dealer saw a new fix that was much easier. They have a fix for the problem that requires much less time.

Fix - Part number 61129312133 - Cable to fix the issue without running a new cable. Yeah. An best part only $25 instead of the $200+ parts. Cable is basically a 2 foot cable with the correct fuse box end on it. Going to put in it today and then button it all back up.
How long did this take you? end to end, including removing the fuse box?
I'm having the same issues and BMWNA refuses to include me in the recall, as my build date was slightly before the VIN range... (It is always outside the VIN range somehow, somehow my car just never has any recalls, but all the same effing issues)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #186
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E28M5Fan View Post
Has anyone heard further on getting the M3s included in the 13V-044 recall (JBE and positive battery cable)?

About a month ago, i walk up to the car to start it. Nothing. No lights, no recognition of the key. Nothing. About 30 minutes later, I go get my tools to start to pull the battery. Car starts right up. This happened a couple more times, so i brought it to the dealer.

After telling the dealer i thought it was a fusebox/jbe module/positive battery cable issue like in the 13V-044 recall, the dealer say they "figured" it was the battery. Installed a new battery. Parts and labor $540. But they told me they fixed it.

Few days later, i drive the car (which is parked in an underground garage that is always above 50 degrees) to work for a meeting about 20 miles north. Park in a parking garage in downtown Boston where i work to do some work before leaving for my meeting. Of course, the car wont start. Have to leave it overnight because GEICO cant locate a tow truck that can get under a 6'7" clearance of the garage. Finally get it to the dealer the next day. Couple days later, the dealer tells me "The tech thinks its the JBE module" and "he got it started by pressing really hard under the glove box."

The car has under 50K miles but just came off warranty from the sales date. Not feeling too happy that M3s aren't included in the 13V-044 recall.
Has anyone with a M3 got this covered? I think I have the same issue but was identified before warranty was up. They still have not fixed it so going to see if I can get this covered under warranty even though mine is just up.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #187
benefic
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 2007

Hi guys I had just the same problem with my e90. I changed cable and fuse box last weekend. Swap all fuses, also those 2 black ones. I noticed that rear window heating and headlights washer stopped working. Beside this everything is working good, also power loss problem disappeared. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #188
vsab101
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hi
I have the same issue but I am here in the UK. Unfortunately for me, this issue has not been a recall here. but I was wondering if someone can send me the DIY steps quoted in the thread.

email: varun_123@hotmail.co.uk

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #189
widj
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i coupe

Changed out fuse box and cable yesterday. Took the easy option and cut the old cable and joined new cable with proper cable crimp. Works great.
I dissected old cable connector and found it to be heat damaged with the connecting surface all burnt and melting. The spring tension has been lost due to heat tempering and therefore lost it's grip on terminal into fusebox.

Last edited by widj; 02-19-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #190
SFFLYER
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328iCp,335Cp,325xiSW

SHATX,
Can you send the diy for this (battery cable) fix?
lambrecht47mtp@hotmail.com

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #191
longhorn335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Coupe

SHATX,

Thanks a lot for all the great guidance you've given on this topic. I have this issue now. Can you send me the instructions you created?

Thnks
Al
alfonso.galindo@gmail.com
      08-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #192
Betty08M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilov View Post
As a side note...I could not even separate the fise box and cable. Even after pulling them out and breaking the plastic connector. It's like they fused together... gonna end up being a big issue I bet.

I even had the car shut off during a meth WOT datalog run. 5800 RPM in 4th gear! At night!

No signals, no power steering, no power asist brakes. Bad news.
I've had this happened to me just last week, still tackling the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #193
Betty08M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHATX View Post
Sorry but I've been traveling for a bit. Trying to get caught up. If you still need help please PM me. Also, you should know that I believe BMW NA released a SIB for this issue as a recall recently.

Best!
Did they do a recall on the M3 e92 as well or just e90s?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #194
Rajvosa
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i have same problem. but after enquiring with local dealership (here in Australia) they say my car (based on vin number) wasnt affected.

its a August build 2010 e90 323i LCI.

it falls withing the 2007-2011 model built for recall.. so i dont get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #195
Deeps1987
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 E90 LCI 330D M-Sport

Garage List
Just happened to me in the UK.
2009 E90 LCI 330D. Was getting random issues for months like radio cutting out and ABS/DSC warning on CIC (for 2 seconds and disappearing again).
Was meaning to get it looked in to but never got around to it. The one day a few weeks ago, whilst driving in traffic, radio cut out completely. I turned the car off (as I was in traffic) would not start again. No power at all, couldn't even enable hazard lights to warn people behind, couldn't open the boot (electric release only) to get out the hazard triangle. After 5 long minutes, it started again and I abandoned my journey and took it home. Since then it was fine but since driving home last night and parking up, I couldn't engage any central locking, no power to anything at all. Even today, completely dead. Going to try jiggling the power cable tomorrow and see if this is the issue.

Also, cannot open the boot to check the battery since it is electronic release with no manual override (that I know of)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #196
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps1987 View Post
Just happened to me in the UK.
2009 E90 LCI 330D. Was getting random issues for months like radio cutting out and ABS/DSC warning on CIC (for 2 seconds and disappearing again).
Was meaning to get it looked in to but never got around to it. The one day a few weeks ago, whilst driving in traffic, radio cut out completely. I turned the car off (as I was in traffic) would not start again. No power at all, couldn't even enable hazard lights to warn people behind, couldn't open the boot (electric release only) to get out the hazard triangle. After 5 long minutes, it started again and I abandoned my journey and took it home. Since then it was fine but since driving home last night and parking up, I couldn't engage any central locking, no power to anything at all. Even today, completely dead. Going to try jiggling the power cable tomorrow and see if this is the issue.

Also, cannot open the boot to check the battery since it is electronic release with no manual override (that I know of)
If you have fold down seats. Open middle arm rest in rear. Reach far to get seat release. Release seat. Then climb through opening and pull emergency release for trunk. It is the power cable/fuse box in the glove compartment that you need to juggle. That is where the connection issue is.

For the other poster, M3 are not included in the recall even though the issues is exactly the same. Mine was covered under normal warranty. Not the recall
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:16 PM   #197
thatdudejim
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Hey guys. My car died on me yesterday and I found this page. Same exact problem with the wire. I called my dealership up today about the recall and they said to bring it in because it's an open recall and they would fix it at no charge. I have no warranty.

My car goes into the dealership Monday to fix, free of charge. It's worth a shot if any of you live in the US (I live in MA).
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #198
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Had this exact same thing happen to me last night.

I was cruising on the highway around 70mph when out of nowhere all my electronics wen out and the motor shut off. Instinctively I clutched in and then gently clutched out and all of a sudden the car restarted, I'm assuming because this was effectively a clutch kick start moment. I can't imagine if my car was auto and losing all power while on a highway at night with traffic all around. This is a massive safety risk.

Tested everything at the BST/IBS and battery itself. Then I saw this thread after searching the issue and decided to give the main power cable to the glovebox a little tug and low-and behold the car is functioning as normal.

I'm taking it in for the BST/IBS recall tomorrow, somehow I strongly doubt this defect will be covered as I'm out of warranty....

UPDATE: Took it to BMW, they replaced the battery cable. Unfortunately my Junction Box (aka main fuse box) has melted due to the bad original cable and it needs to be replaced. Thankfully it's covered under the recall, I just have to wait until the 27th to have the part brought in and replaced. Phew!

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0