E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 572WHP 537WTQ - ACN 91 Octane, no meth - VTT Stage 3 Early Dynos PTF / COBB Protune

03-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #67
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

As far as the Xi questions. The way we routed our downpipes, one on top and one on the bottom, we think it might work on the XI as is. But if not its just a matter of designing new DP's for the XI no biggy. You guys will not be left out of the production run. If DP's need to be changed this will be done during production and we will offer 2 kits a RWD and an AWD version.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #68
D27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93

Pls tell I can use this setup for my AT tranny without giving me any problem?.. Even if I don't get those number I be happy with 500 plus...
      03-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #69
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
I think there are a few things that are different, hard to make too many direct comparisons, at least, for some members of the forums may draw more from this than there really is. I will say you guys are offering a very different product, but catering to a portion of the same audience. I do however feel that the twins have won the better spool and higher flow potential. If a single big turbo were to out spool a pair of appropriately sized twins, I doubt many inlines like the supra, n54, rb26 for example would have came as a twin setup. The big single may rule the end game at some point, but my personal opinion is that big twins are going to be a better bang for the buck and provide more performance. Just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #70
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Exciting to see another option working its way to the market. Best of luck, it's fun to watch
      03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #71
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

LOL I love the competition! Two vendors backing their products with vengeance.

Beauty product. I just spent $3000 going fbo/coils so ill have to wait until summer to buy this but consider me sold.

Great work.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #72
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer
I think there are a few things that are different, hard to make too many direct comparisons, at least, for some members of the forums may draw more from this than there really is. I will say you guys are offering a very different product, but catering to a portion of the same audience. I do however feel that the twins have won the better spool and higher flow potential. If a single big turbo were to out spool a pair of appropriately sized twins, I doubt many inlines like the supra, n54, rb26 for example would have came as a twin setup. The big single may rule the end game at some point, but my personal opinion is that big twins are going to be a better bang for the buck and provide more performance. Just my opinion
Reminds me of B5 S4's with upgraded twins - sick tq down low insane spool and 600-700whp all day on pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #73
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
I 100% agree a 62mm turbo is in no way tiny and actually a good match for theN54. I would though, love for you to point out who is running a 1000HP capable turbo?
ooo ooo pick me. I am I am lol. few more weeks we will be startin her up
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #74
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

This is a great start...well done you !

Looking at the flow maps for GT28s, you'll break the engine before you run those turbos outside their efficiency zone !
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #75
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Congrats to you Tony! Looking forward to the stage 2 numbers.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #76
TLO03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E

Quote:
As far as the Xi questions. The way we routed our downpipes, one on top and one on the bottom, we think it might work on the XI as is. But if not its just a matter of designing new DP's for the XI no biggy. You guys will not be left out of the production run. If DP's need to be changed this will be done during production and we will offer 2 kits a RWD and an AWD version.
well since that is taken care of , i guess we can assume 535xi fitment should be just as easy..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #77
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Congrats to Vargas and Dzenno/PTF! Great results, looking forward to seeing how things progress.

(soap_box)
I find it a little sad that for someone to do well, it automatically implies that someone else has to do poorly. When life or game_mechanics are built this way, there is no such thing as collaboration. There is only the "appearance" of it.

Regarding the attitudes towards single turbos or other modified turbos:
Those who feel the need to defend - the cars are just as powerful as they were before this thread.
Those who feel the need to attack - the cars are just as powerful as they were before this thread. (get it?)

Of course then there will be those who will always go towards the "value" angle, which is completely subjective - with respect to how much does "fun" cost vs. "fun" enjoyed and then … You throw in "first mover" and "bleeding research" kicks. It's a ignorant way to view things, its end goal is selfish - making you feel better about yourself having "less" or "more" than others.

I firmly believe that most folks on the forums are mildly modified and want to live vicariously through others and that's fine, but don't get in the way of those who are trying to go somewhere or do something.

I think that we forget that we are not the sum of our mods (tune, parts …), you are the result of the actions you take and the ones you choose not partake in. It is sad that someone's loyalty can be purchased for a $100, $300 or $1000+ part, I'd advise you not to fall pray to such a simpleton's way.

For those who really want to "support" progress -- buy a vendor's part/solution. Buy a bunch of things, try them out, swap/trade with friends and make it lucrative enough for the vendors to keep working on the platform you love.

I do remember not so long ago, there were no options with regards to aftermarket turbos. I think TDs were the first and then came ASR/RBs (no particular order), FFTEC/Vishnu Single Turbo, HPF single turbo, a bunch of other homemade single turbos and now Vargas.

How is this NOT good for the community?

What is good for the community is … support, whether financial or congratulatory. I hope we could all go that route or at least the majority of the contributors.

Peace and progress to all who want it.

(/soap_box)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #78
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Words of wisdom Steve.

Those of us with big power mods are all interested in seeing more options on the market.
      03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #79
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

@CaptainInsano - are you doing ok? I heard a strange story!

Big Power / Value / Research Investment - to put it into perspective. The last shift-s3ctor had a twin turbo lambo that went through 3 transmissions ($30K per unit) to find out what the right WHP number is for the tranny. I though he said that the progression was 1500WHP, 1300WHP and then "settled" for 1200WHP.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #80
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupertinosteve View Post
@CaptainInsano - are you doing ok? I heard a strange story!
That strange story is true...

They didn't even think I would be able to walk this week, but I'm progressing quickly and the neurologist says I should be back to normal shortly. Thanks for the concern, I guess I have a thick skull.

Back to the mad horsepower.
      03-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #81
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

nice work boys! this will be a very fun car.

single vs twin is an age old debate. twin will always be more expensive but offers advantages and disadvantages.

George at ICS just put down ~1200whp on a twin setup on my chassis.......insane.
      03-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #82
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupertinosteve
Congrats to Vargas and Dzenno/PTF! Great results, looking forward to seeing how things progress.

(soap_box)
I find it a little sad that for someone to do well, it automatically implies that someone else has to do poorly. When life or game_mechanics are built this way, there is no such thing as collaboration. There is only the "appearance" of it.

Regarding the attitudes towards single turbos or other modified turbos:
Those who feel the need to defend - the cars are just as powerful as they were before this thread.
Those who feel the need to attack - the cars are just as powerful as they were before this thread. (get it?)

Of course then there will be those who will always go towards the "value" angle, which is completely subjective - with respect to how much does "fun" cost vs. "fun" enjoyed and then … You throw in "first mover" and "bleeding research" kicks. It's a ignorant way to view things, its end goal is selfish - making you feel better about yourself having "less" or "more" than others.

I firmly believe that most folks on the forums are mildly modified and want to live vicariously through others and that's fine, but don't get in the way of those who are trying to go somewhere or do something.

I think that we forget that we are not the sum of our mods (tune, parts …), you are the result of the actions you take and the ones you choose not partake in. It is sad that someone's loyalty can be purchased for a $100, $300 or $1000+ part, I'd advise you not to fall pray to such a simpleton's way.

For those who really want to "support" progress -- buy a vendor's part/solution. Buy a bunch of things, try them out, swap/trade with friends and make it lucrative enough for the vendors to keep working on the platform you love.

I do remember not so long ago, there were no options with regards to aftermarket turbos. I think TDs were the first and then came ASR/RBs (no particular order), FFTEC/Vishnu Single Turbo, HPF single turbo, a bunch of other homemade single turbos and now Vargas.

How is this NOT good for the community?

What is good for the community is … support, whether financial or congratulatory. I hope we could all go that route or at least the majority of the contributors.

Peace and progress to all who want it.

(/soap_box)
Definitely true. Well said Steve.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #83
nestle914
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Thanks Tony it will be quite appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #84
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Wonderful job guys, that's a fat powerband right there!

I may have missed it, but do you guys have any idea what's causing the dip in power in the 5k rpm range?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #85
fishmando
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Breathless for daily driving revs, but good top end potential for a dragster.
I take it you call stock breathless as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #86
redlineryder
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Wonderful job guys, that's a fat powerband right there!

I may have missed it, but do you guys have any idea what's causing the dip in power in the 5k rpm range?
Throttle closure, they had limited time on the dyno and it will be tuned out.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #87
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupertinosteve View Post
(soap_box)
I find it a little sad that for someone to do well, it automatically implies that someone else has to do poorly.
(/soap_box)

Agreed. This is NOT a zero sum game.
      03-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #88
fishmando
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post

Agreed. This is NOT a zero sum game.
True