E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > DCS Trifectia

09-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

DCS Trifectia

Guys, I have the dreaded DCS issue. I just pulled the codes and these are what I am getting

D35A ????
5D91 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Extrapolation
5D96 front drive sensor
5D93 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Accident Recognition
5DE3 Rear Brake Pads

Also would this be the right place to check? Pretty new to INPA and version I have is all in german, lol...

I think I have the last 4 right, I am planning on doing my rear brake pads and rotors this weekend. The middle 3 seems to be the left wheel sensor.

I really cannot find anything really solid on the top one, D35A.... Could this be the DCS module going out? The car drives fine normally, but I am noticing the brake acting funky sometimes, and can here a motor or something when this happens...

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers

Last edited by Skylinemotorsports; 09-04-2018 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinemotorsports View Post
Guys, I have the dreaded DCS issue. I just pulled the codes and these are what I am getting

D35A ????
5D91 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Extrapolation
5D96 front drive sensor
5D93 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor : Accident Recognition
5DE3 Rear Brake Pads

Also would this be the right place to check? Pretty new to INPA and version I have is all in german, lol...

I think I have the last 4 right, I am planning on doing my rear brake pads and rotors this weekend. The middle 3 seems to be the left wheel sensor.

I really cannot find anything really solid on the top one, D35A.... Could this be the DCS module going out? The car drives fine normally, but I am noticing the brake acting funky sometimes, and can here a motor or something when this happens...

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers
I was looking up as these temporarily cane up for me. What I found is that the wheel speed sensor is usually the major culprit.

Did you disconnect it at any point? Do some suspension or brake work? It's pretty brittle. Make sure the connection is sound, then order a new one (under $40) to eliminate that. you have one in the passenger wheel and one in the driver rear IIRC. For many that was it.

Also check your brake wear sensor and see if it needs replacement (its not a reusable item normally if you took it out). But that shouldnt be really throwing that code.

You want to eliminate those first to pray thats it or your next steps are invasive and/or expensive. Need to remove the DCS system and replace for thousands or have it rebuilt (few hundred but you're down a car while they take care of it. I don't have the link right now but there is a whole thread about this issue and what it takes to send it in if needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I was looking up as these temporarily cane up for me. What I found is that the wheel speed sensor is usually the major culprit.

Did you disconnect it at any point? Do some suspension or brake work? It's pretty brittle. Make sure the connection is sound, then order a new one (under $40) to eliminate that. you have one in the passenger wheel and one in the driver rear IIRC. For many that was it.

Also check your brake wear sensor and see if it needs replacement (its not a reusable item normally if you took it out). But that shouldnt be really throwing that code.

You want to eliminate those first to pray thats it or your next steps are invasive and/or expensive. Need to remove the DCS system and replace for thousands or have it rebuilt (few hundred but you're down a car while they take care of it. I don't have the link right now but there is a whole thread about this issue and what it takes to send it in if needed.
Well my car is a 09 so it should not have a that wheel speed sensor? I am hoping its the ABS sensor, have one and will be putting it on really soon to see if that fixes it. I am doing brakes/rotors and lines so it might be awhile but I will keep you posted on if this fixes it
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post

Well my car is a 09 so it should not have a that wheel speed sensor? I am hoping its the ABS sensor, have one and will be putting it on really soon to see if that fixes it. I am doing brakes/rotors and lines so it might be awhile but I will keep you posted on if this fixes it
The ABS one is referred to as a "wheel speed sensor" in the parts world.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep

Haha, fair enough, I was thinking of that steering sensor or something else that was only put on 2010+ cars that is a common issue. My 335 is a 09.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just FYI, sometimes the connection could just be loose as that clip connection is rather fragile and suspect. Replaced mine but noticed that the original had backed out a little (probably during suspension work, or I didn't put it back in fully). New one in and I taped the two sides once they were together just for good measure. No lights since.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep

Same for me, it replaced them, got everything done and drove it around the neighborhood.. All the lights went out!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Same for me, it replaced them, got everything done and drove it around the neighborhood.. All the lights went out!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0