E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin D99 Android Development & Hacking Thread

02-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

Official Dynavin D99 Android Development & Hacking Thread

I'm starting a official Dynavin D99 Android Development & Hacking Thread here on E90Post.

Most of these information is from e46fanatics due to their experience and longer development time in their forum and I give all credit to them.

Here is the link to their forum
http://http://forum.e46fanatics.com/...d.php?t=892583

Official Dynavin Solutions thread (Jeff):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753

Official Dynavin Android site (get the latest (unrooted) firmware):

http://www.dynavin.com/android.php

Some Usefull info:

http://dynavin.uncompiled.org/android

Installing a ROM

Either use the SD card that came with the Dynavin, or downloaded EaseUS, and format a 2 GB card as FAT (FAT16) with 64kb allocation.

Unzip the ROM file and copy all the files to the root of the 2 GB SD card that came with the Dynavin
Boot up the Dynavin with the SD card
Takes about 5 to 10 minutes, and will notify you when it's done
Take out the SD card
If you're reusing the same SD card, remove all the ROM files from the root before reinserting it

*EASEUS Note*
EASEUS will not in most cases recognize your SD Card if you are using the SD Card Reader attached to your LAPTOP. Please obtain a SD Card reader that is external to correctly use EASEUS to format your SD Card

Hacked and/or Rooted ROMS:

User: jneumann
http://jneumann.net/Baldr/

User: m3evolution
Release 20111209: http://www.multiupload.com/DVNMVH35YM

Manually rooting Android 2.2 using z4root:

You can grab the file from XDA at:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Prepare your system for rooting:
Go in to settings and enable USB debugging, and allow non market apps.

Copy the z4root.apk file to your SD card
Using a file manager, install the z4root app
Run the z4root app after install
Chose "root permanent"
System will reboot (in about 2 or 3 minutes) and you will be rooted (superuser and busybox installed)
Now grab busybox installer from the market and install the latest version of busybox

Tweaks & Tips

Android GPS Locking Issue
The reason why Android units have issues locking onto GPS satellites even when the Satellites are visible is due to the fact that Android OS relies primarily on A-GPS (Assisted GPS)
Quote:
"Standalone" or "Autonomous" GPS operation uses radio signals from satellites alone. A-GPS additionally uses network resources to locate and utilize the satellites in poor signal conditions. In very poor signal conditions, for example in a city, these signals may suffer multipath propagation where signals bounce off buildings, or be weakened by passing through atmospheric conditions, walls or tree cover. When first turned on in these conditions, some standalone GPS navigation devices may not be able to work out a position due to the fragmentary signal, rendering them unable to function until a clear signal can be received continuously for up to 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemeris).
Note that Android units CAN utilize offline GPS with the help of Apps suchs as Co-Pilot Live, Sygic, TomTom, and many other GPS apps. But GPS locking is still required to do so. In order for these to work correctly and efficiently, I recommend you to have an WIFI connection during the startup process of the car. And when the signal locks on, you can choose to turn off wifi hotspot.

Better/Faster Clock Sync
These apps will make your clock sync faster, and having the clock sync faster will solve a lot of issues the Droidavyn has.
I was able to get the correct time on the Droidavyn down to about 15-30 seconds (stock it took at least 2 to 3 minutes).

TimeZoneFixer
The dynavin has the 2009h version of the database, this will copy over the 2011h version (https://market.android.com/details?i...m9uZWZpeGVyIl0.)

ClockSync
Setup to sync every 15 minutes; enable local database, and set it to sync on boot (https://market.android.com/details?i...Nsb2NrU3luYyJd)

GPS Configuration file
Copy the gps.conf file onto your sd card.
Make sure you go in to settings and enable USB debugging, and allow non market apps.
Make sure your date and time are correct (manually), then check the auto update setting.
Download root explorer and copy over the gps.conf file to your /system/etc folder (https://market.android.com/details?i...RleHBsb3JlciJd)
Get GPS Status and Toolbox (https://market.android.com/details?i...HNzdGF0dXMyIl0.)
Startup GPS Status and toolbox, reset the AGPS data and download again. Change the settings to download as frequently as possible.

Supercharger Script (thanks to winter_baby)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...1&postcount=29

Recommended Apps:

Latest Google Apps
Google Car Home
*Note* Google Car Home is not available straight through the Android Market on Dynavin, this can be remedied by obtaining a .apk file online. But you will need both "Google Car Home" and "Google Car Home Loader" .apk installed in order for this to work
Root Explorer (Paid App)
ClockSync
TimeZone Fixer
GPS Status & Toolbox
Busybox Installer
Titanium Backup
Pandora
Bing (The traffic map is usually more accurate then Google)
MX Video Player (Play any MP4 video file)
CoPilot (Paid App) (great offline navigation, and now with apps2sd doesn't fill up the dynavin)

Last edited by krnet2dboi; 02-03-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Fantastic idea, Krnet!! Thank you!

Last edited by spmd11; 02-03-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yep, good idea posting this here, no need to reinvent the wheel!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm making a custom ROM right now. Lemme see if I can create something more reliable.
      02-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

What is the GPS configuration file for?
      02-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11
What is the GPS configuration file for?
Supposedly helps gps locking. But it doesn't seem to do anything
      02-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

By the way, I've heard that there is a gps antenna in the sharkfin in non I drive units that we can access?
      02-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
DarthVanish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5

Quick question....can the android side read files from the MMC sd card? I put a bunch of music on there but can't seem to see the card from android. Where do you guys put all your media to play in android?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep

How the bloody heck do I install a huge map file into the D99?

I bought Navigon nav app... stupid thing has a 1.6gb map file it wants to upload via wifi.. slight problem there.. My car batter/electronics will not stay on long enough to download this big file to the D99. What do I do?
      02-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmd11
How the bloody heck do I install a huge map file into the D99?

I bought Navigon nav app... stupid thing has a 1.6gb map file it wants to upload via wifi.. slight problem there.. My car batter/electronics will not stay on long enough to download this big file to the D99. What do I do?
It goes on the SD Card...
      02-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVanish
Quick question....can the android side read files from the MMC sd card? I put a bunch of music on there but can't seem to see the card from android. Where do you guys put all your media to play in android?
Nope
      02-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

you put your media files on SD card that goes in the "nav" slot. Android will see them and you can then access them in their respective apps, music, gallery, app installer, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
dennis11bmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i E90

Exclamation Dynavin Tricks

I have an iPhone 4 and installed the Sirius App on it (for just $30/yr). I plug my iPhone into the iPod cable from the Dynavin and select "iPod" as the source. Then run the Sirius app on your iPhone and, Voilla, all of your favorite Sirius content plays through the Dynavin. Works with Pandora, too.

Also, I too recently got my Dynavin D99 with Andriod, and ran into alot of undocumented (or poorly documented) problems. Like a previous poster, my Google navigation would not work (way too blurry & could not zoom). So I purchased Copilot and also purchased the North AMerica maps. At first I tried to download the maps via the Dynavin, but way, way too slow. I tried multiple times and drove for hours trying to download just 426mb.

A good trick is to buy a 16gig SD card and an cheap SD card reader/writer with USB hookup. First, install the Copilot app into your Dynavin from the App store. It will load the basic files to your blue SD card on the Dynavin. Now remove the blue SD 2gig card from the Dynavin. Hook up the SD card reader to your PC. Load the blue SD card in the reader, and copy all of its contents into a separate folder on your PC. Then remove the blue SD card, insert your new 16gig SD card, and copy all of the files you got from the blue SD card on to the new 16gig card. Now you have a "bootable" SD card with 16gigs instead of the meager 2gigs that comes with the Dynavin, and you have the base files for Copilot on it too.

Now go online with your PC and buy your favorite map(s). Download the Copilot Central application to your PC, and sign on to your Copilot account. Once signed in, you can check "My Account" and "Purchase History" to confirm your map purchases are in a blue font. At this point, however, Copilot Central does not know you have an Andriod device. You can't hook up the Dynavin to your PC. Instead, remove the 16gig SD card, plug it into the reader, plug it into your PC, and now Copilot Centeral recognizes the SD card as an Andriod device (how about that??). Now you can download (very, very, quickly) all of your maps to the SD card, and they will be automatically unpacked and installed into the proper Copilot folders on the SD card. You also get to retain a copy of the maps on your PC.

Now just remove the SD card from the reader, plug it into your Dynavin, turn on the power, press the NAV button, go to your Andriod apps, and load Copilot. And bang, all your maps are there and Copilot works perfectly. No more waiting in line on the USB modem.

I believe this technique will work with just about any app that needs a large file download.

Happy driving!!

dennis11bmw
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
Ripley
multipass!
Italy
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [10.00]
Some weeks ago I rooted my D95, but I still have problems with root permissions. For example, I try to put GPS.conf in system/etc folder, but it seems that copy doesn't work.

I've installed m3evolution ROM too, but nothing solved in GPS locking.

I'm starting to hate Android...

Have anyone some solution?
Black Sapphire E92 335i AT: VTT GC 2.0 - VTT inlets/outlet - VRSF 7'' FMIC - VRSF 3'' d p s - JB4 G5 w/ FSB - AEM meth - Fuel-It stage 2 LPFP - BMS DCI - Phoenix Racing CP - TIAL BOV - NGK 5992 - KW V3 - Dinan camber plates - Brembo 8 pot - Pagid RST3 - Mishimoto 25 row oil cooler - Quaife LSD - M3 rear bar - xHP stage 3
Appreciate 0