E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

11-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #1871
GizmoPower
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 2006 320d

Now that the n6 is not getting any support or soft update. Has anyone tried to mess with it?
Like they did with the old d99 I think it was.
Would be awsome if we could at least run some Android rom on it.
Or modify the existing Os

When I bought the N6 I was given the idea of that it would be able to run -Apps- Remember the -Apps- icon. It was there in the menu to begin with.
It even has the GSM connection and www.dynavin.com adress. for what?
The soft stopped on a very buggy 1.3.0 I had to revert to 1.2.2
Why was it suddenly given up on..? Maybe hardware reasons...?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #1872
bmaack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I just installed the N7 Pro in my 2011 e90. I have noticed a few issues since the installation.
1. My TPMS sensor began to malfunction...added a new RDC module...still malfunctioning.
2. When using carplay with the ilink dongle, my music would distort and intermittently fade in and out. Also noticed that my Waze GPS would only default to night view...I would manually have to change the setting to day in the phone...do not have this problem when using airplay in my wife's Toyota. I even flashed the dongle to update the firmware.
Is it possible I have a defective module?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #1873
Hrobatos
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW 2007

Hi
I have a Dynavin N6 in my 2007 E90. I am very pleased with the unit so far. But I am having issues lately, I get sometimes white screen, sometimes it also has stripes. It comes and goes but is becoming quite often lately.

Is this a common issue? Is it possible to be repaired?
I have no garranty any more.

Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #1874
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes it can likely be repaired. I see you are in Germany, you should contact the guys at Dynavin.de and ask them about how to get that done.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 01:51 PM   #1875
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Since this isn't running a traditional Android OS, can anyone tell me if the Dynavin units can run MHD and connect to the MHD wifi adaptor (https://mhdtuning.com/pages/mhd-wireless-adapter)?

It seems like a nicer unit than the Eonon, but MHD compatibility is a deal-breaker for me.
      03-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #1876
fmc000
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team503 View Post
Since this isn't running a traditional Android OS, can anyone tell me if the Dynavin units can run MHD and connect to the MHD wifi adaptor (https://mhdtuning.com/pages/mhd-wireless-adapter)?

It seems like a nicer unit than the Eonon, but MHD compatibility is a deal-breaker for me.
I had the N7 and you can't install anything on it. Moreover, it won't speak with any OBD dongle, it doesn't have that function.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #1877
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
Yes its been awhile....covid put a kink in keeping up with this stuff...

Android auto is using the GPS signal from your phone, the entire android auto interface is generated by your phone.
Does CarPlay also run natively on the Dynavin units? Or does it require an app running on the phone?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #1878
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Dynavin n7-e9x pro and placed the order for my 2010 E91. Looking forward to bringing the sound system up-to-date.

I've got Spring break coming up (teacher) so off for 10 days and I try to always have a car-related project for that time. I've got new a new headlight system to install on my C5 Corvette and, now, the new sound system for the E91.

So, I may be back here for installation troubleshooting (but I hope it goes smoothly enough that I don't have to).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #1879
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Dynavin n7-e9x pro and placed the order for my 2010 E91. Looking forward to bringing the sound system up-to-date.

I've got Spring break coming up (teacher) so off for 10 days and I try to always have a car-related project for that time. I've got new a new headlight system to install on my C5 Corvette and, now, the new sound system for the E91.

So, I may be back here for installation troubleshooting (but I hope it goes smoothly enough that I don't have to).
Sweet. Looking forward to a full report!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #1880
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post

How did the installation go?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:30 PM   #1881
K9Leader
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smatanovic View Post
How did the installation go?
I received it a few days ago and although I had planned to do it over my Spring Break in a couple of weeks, this past weekend was warmish weather and I couldn't wait so I plunged in. It took me all day both Saturday and Sunday but it is in and most things are working - Radio, SiriusXM radio, Nav, and music from a USB drive plugged into the "Media" USB cable. I also opted not to use the ashtray relocate kit that comes with the Dynavin unit - my car had the storage bin and not the ashtray. The Metra relocate seemed like a better option so I had ordered one of those and prefer it to the one provided by Dynavin.

What I don't have working yet is the backup camera. I ordered one of the tailgate handle types (from Crutchfield) and getting that in was the biggest challenge of this install. Running the backup camera cable was a challenge - getting it through the rubber conduit into the tailgate and then down and through another grommet into the interior of the tailgate. The connector end that plugs into the camera would never have gone through the rubber conduit and the second grommet so I had to cut the cable and splice the three wires - yellow for video signal, red for power, black for ground - back together once fished through. Also, getting it through that second grommet was going well but then it hung up and I pulled and it seemed to be coming but that turned out to be the wire stretching and then it broke, so I had to splice it back together there as well.

The handle/camera unit also did not really fit. Perhaps it fits better on an E90/92/93 but on the E91 it was a struggle. The electrical connector/switch was just a little bit further forward than on the OEM that I pulled out. That slight difference meant it would not fit in and then swing in to position. I ended up filing/sanding down the plastic on the top of the connector/switch, rounding it off a bit. It was still tight and I used a little lubricant (silicone dielectric grease) to help it and I still had to really muscle it and force it but it did pop into place. The connector/switch appeared to have survived as it does pop it open.

I tapped the red power wire into (what I think is) the reverse light wire and the black ground wire into a brown wire (that I guessed was the ground) running to the light assembly, but still nothing when I go into reverse. I will keep playing with it over the next few days. I understand basic electricity - high school physics, college physics for non-physics majors, 35 years experience as a DIY homeowner/amateur mechanic - but this is a bit more complicated. It doesn't help that both the Dynavin installation documents and (especially) the camera installation instructions are somewhat vague in several areas.

Also, to get the wires in, almost every trim piece in the cargo area had to come off and I spent so much time trying to get the camera working, that it was too late on Sunday to put back the trim that could go back on (really only need to leave the trim off the tailgate until I get the camera working). I put all that back on this evening after work and fooled with the camera wiring again for a while, with no luck. I might have some time on Wednesday afternoon/evening to work on it but after that, not again until Sunday. With the exception of the tailgate trim the rest of the interior is back together so it is drivable again.

I did not take a lot of pics, but here is one with all the guts removed - notice the hole in the dash, cut for a GPS wire that is no longer needed (unless I miss my Garmin so much I go back to it) and was covered by the mount:

Here is it installed and working. I covered the dash hole with a strong magnet and stuck a sunglasses case/holder on. Even without the sunglasses holder, it is just a quarter-size black disc magnet so not too obtrusive - maybe I will stick a BMW logo decal on it because the BMW logo on the steering wheel isn't enough of a reminder of what make I am driving. It's livable:

Last edited by K9Leader; 03-23-2021 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #1882
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Wow that first one looks intense, but the last looks incredible! Have you tried CarPlay or android auto? Any other quirks? How's the sound?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #1883
K9Leader
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow that first one looks intense, but the last looks incredible! Have you tried CarPlay or android auto? Any other quirks? How's the sound?

I've been mostly focused on getting it installed. First drive today (to work) and thought to check the steering wheel controls and they work. My wife called me on my drive so I got to use the BT/phone for the first time.

Sound is about the same as the OEM sound - it is using the same speakers. This is not an audiophile setup but quite sufficient for me in a daily driver and the features and functionality is more important to me than that last 5% of sound.

Quirks:
  • Right now I have music MP3 files on a USB drive connected via the USB cable that I ran into the center console bin. When you first go to it or return to it after switching to something else and then back, it takes a few seconds each time to load, maybe 5 - 8 seconds - and resume the song it was playing. I will put some files on a Micro SD card and see if that is any faster. When playing MP3s, it shows a graphic of a generic equalizer/sound wave pattern, which I find pointless. I would prefer it display the album cover but I don't think it can do that.
  • In the selection menu for MP3s, the "Music" (meaning "Songs") displays the songs by file name rather than song title so that is kind of a jumble and it would be challenging to find a particular song. Artist and Album options are better organized and you can also go right to the files in browser format so if you have taken the time to organize them at that level, you can use whatever system you set up to find things (Artist --> Album --> Song).

Still a lot of playing around to do to learn the ins and outs of the system (and to get the backup camera working). I do like that the integration of the steering wheel controls was so seamless. I put a head unit into an Acura that my daughter had and had to use an interface device for steering wheel controls and never could get it to work. On my C5 Corvette when I changed out the head unit from stock many years ago, I tried an interface device for the Bose speaker system in the car (the main door speakers each had their own amplifiers) but I never could get the aftermarket head unit to connect with those speakers (I ended up pulling the amplified speakers out and putting in new speakers and a separate amp for the whole system). So, I don't have a good track record with the aftermarket interface devices.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #1884
K9Leader
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Update on Dynavin install:

I had time to work on it this afternoon and it appears (fingers crossed) everything is working, including the backup camera.

Forget about tapping power for the camera off of the reverse lights - it does not work on E9x. Dynavin's install guide doesn't really address a camera addition but they do have a separate "Wiring Diagram of the Universal Camera to the Dynavin N7/N7 Pro" document. However, in that document they say that you only use the red power wire off the head unit if you are installing on an E46, E39, or E53 (to a green "Reverse Trigger" wire). However, for the E9x you do need to connect the red power wire from the camera to the red power wire on the head unit and just cap off the red wire at the camera end. You do still need to connect the ground wire at the camera end. I tapped into the brown ground wire going to the right side lights:

And, finally, the backup camera worked when in Reverse. And, then, an hour or so later, it didn't. Fortunately, I remembered that there is a setting for Aftermarket Camera that has to be checked. While it had been checked before and must have been when the camera worked an hour ago, it was now unchecked. So, put the check in and . . . it works again.

Then, suddenly, I found that the Sirius XM radio was not working. I thought that it must have gotten disconnected when I pulled the unit out to connect the camera power wire. Pulled it out again but nope, everything properly connected. Then I remembered in the settings, you have to set the region to USA and when I looked, yep, it had reverted to UK even though I had it set to USA before.

So, I think everything is working as it should, but still need to figure out some of the quirks of the system. I copied my music MP3 files to a micro SD card and inserted it and it works, although I'm not sure it is any faster than the USB drive. Also, I did figure out that most albums/songs display the album art but not all. Those downloaded from iTunes, Amazon all have artwork. Those that I loaded from CDs have artwork if iTunes was able to read the album artwork or was able to find it and load it. In some instances I had to go and find the artwork on my own and load it and then associate it with the files. Some of those show the artwork but some do not. Also, music obtained other ways - converted from YouTube for example - and for which I added artwork sometimes do and sometimes don't display. Yes, I know, "Who cares?" Yeah, I can't do that - getting all the album artwork to display is like a challenge to me and I cannot let it go.

Also, when selecting music by song, album, or artist, I'm not sure how to quickly jump instead of having to scroll through the entire list. If this is not possible, then selecting music that way is not practical. I do have the music files organized in folders and sub-folders organized by artist (folder for all artists A, then sub-folders for each artist, then sub-folders for each album) since this was the fastest way through the old OEM system. I'm used to it, it works, but I had hoped for something a bit more sophisticated.

Anyway, it's in and I'm looking forward to an up-to-date listening experience!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #1885
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Wow this is awesome, thank you for the update!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #1886
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Anyone have a suggested EQ settings for a Dynavin N7 Pro installed in a E91?

Separately, I find the CarPlay navigation volume too high, even on minimum. Any suggestions for attenuating that volume?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #1887
firestonetires
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

I just installed the N7 pro in a 2011 e92 without logic 7. . This thing is awesome. I need to get rid of the sos error message. I see a bunch of threads on how to do it with BimmerCode, which I have, but they are for other models. I don’t have the options they listed. This is a 5 minute job if I had the info on what to change. The two dealers close to me, one wants $200 and the other said they won’t even do it. It’s crazy. Any help appreciated. Oh I bought it from Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #1888
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Get yourself a bimmergeeks cable
You need a PC
download the Standard Tools suite .(from the bimmergeeks site)
change two lines of code in the Kombi (Instrument Cluster)
dissconnect the TCU or Mulf 2 hi
Not sure but the bimmergeeks pro tool may do this
which is phone based.

TCM_ALIVE_MONITOR -> nicht_activ
TCM_ID_MONITOR -> nicht_activ

be careful of the spelling of active I not sure it's right
all you should have to do is add nicht.( I think its aktiv)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805677

Then you will have diagnostics and programming ability.
Guys at the coding sub forum will do it remotely but you still have to have
the cable so I would just get the setup and do it yourself.

You could talk to Jeff to.

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lkXEhlQYy4i9Nb
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1590283589
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kBbC27TJLX3BGe
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WekqhcC6hsgK2c
primary links
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681573
https://www.nathansbmwworkshop.com/b...or-dean-videos
ista problems
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661945
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581663

You get to types of SOS error coding removes the small one but
there is a large one on start of the car that only goes away when
you unplug the module.

Last edited by ctuna; 06-23-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #1889
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Would folks mind giving some feedback on the sound quality of the N7 Pro? Does the EQ work decently to get a nice improvement in sound for standard 10 speaker (non Logic 7) system?

Chris
      07-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #1890
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I find the CarPlay navigation volume too high, even on minimum. Any suggestions for attenuating that volume?
Still having this issue. Anyone have any advice here?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #1891
Hrobatos
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW 2007

Hi folks, I have another problem with my N6 which I had now for a year.
Suddenly my oil temperature is at -46 C, altough its only 22 C outside. I tried switching to US units but then it only goes to -46 F.
Outside temp is fine but I think this information is from the car. What might be the issue here?
Tnx

Edit : by starting the car next day it was back to normal

Last edited by Hrobatos; 07-29-2021 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #1892
er36po
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW E90/ 320d

Hi jeffb335, first of all thanks for the detailed sharing. I tried to reach you privately, but even though I activated my account and waited more than 1 hour, I could not send you a private message.

I want to buy the 'Dynavin N7 pro' but the product price and shipping (shipping fee) seem too high. Can you help with this?

Actually, I already bought a Multimedia (an obscure brand called Navix), but both the visual (not fitting the car) and the sound quality are very bad... I started looking for a better quality device and went to 'Dynavin N7 PRO' and from there. I got to this topic. I would be very grateful if you could help me.
Appreciate 0