E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Any new 2020 Dash Cam recommendations

11-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Any new 2020 Dash Cam recommendations

Haven't seen any dash cam talk in a while.

I was wondering if anyone has discovered something new or recommends one that's great?

I'm would like to grab one this coming Black Friday.

Looking for something sleek with wifi, parking mode, and no suction mount.

So far been eyeing Rexing V1 dash camera from Amazon.

Name:  rexing.JPG
Views: 982
Size:  55.9 KB

• ULTRA HD DISCREET DESIGN DASH CAM: Top OV4689 image sensor captures beautiful 2160p video even while driving fast. Signature low-profile design allows the V1 to be a well-hidden witness to the road ahead. Supports high-endurance micro SD memory cards up to 256GB in memory size.

• 170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS & WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE: The 7 layer glass lens opens up to capture a sweeping view of your surroundings. The superior WDR technology allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create balanced images and footage.

• SUPERCAPACITOR & PARKING MONITOR: The dash cam uses a supercapacitor which can withstand extreme temperatures from -20 to 176°F, that prevents the risk of overheating, extends the life span and reliability of the camera. With the parking monitor feature, the dash camera will automatically turn on and record a 20 second video when the car camera detects vibration OR dash cam will capture frames for a time lapse video for 24/7. Please connect the smart hardwire kit to activate the parking mode.

• WIFI CONNECT: View, save, and share dash cam recordings wirelessly on your mobile device with the use of an app interface.

• LOOP RECORDING AND G-SENSOR: Video can be recorded in 1,2 or 3 minute intervals. When the storage limit is reached on the memory card, new recordings will automatically overwrite the oldest recordings. When the built-in gravity sensor detects a collision, the current video is locked, ensuring important footage is kept protected. Locked videos will be kept safe from being overwritten.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 11-08-2020 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I just bought one of those and did a hardwire installation today. It came out great. The camera is excellent but I paid just over half of what it's currently selling for because of a sale. If you're patient just wait for another sale, but if you can't wait it's still worth $99.

It's definitely one of the best dashcams I've ever used. Still has a cheap feel to it but better than the others unless you spend $300+. Video quality is great, and you can see lots of examples in the reviews.

Also, if you're suspicious of the 10K+ reviews like I was, after getting my camera I learned why. They give you a little card with instructions so if you post a positive review on Amazon they'll send you a free 32GB microSD card. I didn't wait for that and installed a 128GB card instead. The reviews all mention excellent customer service wherever issues have occurred.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      11-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I just bought one of those and did a hardwire installation today. It came out great. The camera is excellent but I paid just over half of what it's currently selling for because of a sale. If you're patient just wait for another sale, but if you can't wait it's still worth $99.

It's definitely one of the best dashcams I've ever used. Still has a cheap feel to it but better than the others unless you spend $300+. Video quality is great, and you can see lots of examples in the reviews.

Also, if you're suspicious of the 10K+ reviews like I was, after getting my camera I learned why. They give you a little card with instructions so if you post a positive review on Amazon they'll send you a free 32GB microSD card. I didn't wait for that and installed a 128GB card instead. The reviews all mention excellent customer service wherever issues have occurred.

Before you had it hardwired have you had a chance to use it in any extreme temperature conditions?

Also how's the parking mode? Does it detect movement or just impact?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Before you had it hardwired have you had a chance to use it in any extreme temperature conditions?

Also how's the parking mode? Does it detect movement or just impact?
I haven't used it in any extreme conditions but I don't anticipate any issues. On my other car I have a really cheap dashcam with a battery (not even a super capacitor) and it's been parked in 100 degree outside temps many times and it still works great. I expect this one to be fine.

I can't comment on the parking mode as I haven't configured it yet, but it looks like it just detects impact. I wouldn't expect anything more at this price range.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      11-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I like the blackviews but they are pricey, run them in 2 cars (Front and rear). They do motion detect and in my wife's car just goes off all the time on any setting when someone walks near the car, so nearly useless.
I did just buy my son the rexing V1 4k with a hardwire kit and it works well (have it in his 330xi E90). It is nice with the wifi built in to grab clips off it, the hardwire kit is 18 bucks extra and the fuses built on the ends of the cable won't work with a BMW fusebox as they are not deep enough, so you will need some add a circuit fuses to install.
Otherwise, it is nice with the super capacitor and the parking mode is configurable either it can do time lapse or record on impact when parking and it also has a low voltage cutoff to not kill your battery.
It doesn't come with an SD card, so just buy one of those that is tolerant of the temps you need, I find that gives more issue than the camera itself sometimes in cold weather.
If you are willing to wait, the camera comes with a deal in the box where if you upload a video to their site they will send you a free hardwire kit.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      11-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Just purchased the Rove R2-4K dash cam.

Check it out, $119.00 on Amazon. Hardwire kit another $30.00. Good quality video day/night, 150° angle, parking mode, video/photo/playback modes. Wi-Fi thru an app.

May want to watch for "Black Friday" deal, got mine for $75.00 a couple of weeks ago during Prime days. Doesn't include sd Card, Rove recommends Samsung only, max at 512g

Comes packaged with usb power cord, power outlet adapter, short power cord for charging/ download. Even had a little plastic tool for pulling trim back to hide wiring.

Overall I do like the Rove, looked at a lot of dash cams and felt for the money it was worth it. This is my first dash cam and found it to be pretty user friendly. I'm not a technology wiz, but manage to use the Rove without much difficulty.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post

Check it out, $119.00 on Amazon. Hardwire kit another $30.00. Good quality video day/night, 150° angle, parking mode, video/photo/playback modes. Wi-Fi thru an app.

May want to watch for "Black Friday" deal, got mine for $75.00 a couple of weeks ago during Prime days. Doesn't include sd Card, Rove recommends Samsung only, max at 512g

Comes packaged with usb power cord, power outlet adapter, short power cord for charging/ download. Even had a little plastic tool for pulling trim back to hide wiring.

Overall I do like the Rove, looked at a lot of dash cams and felt for the money it was worth it. This is my first dash cam and found it to be pretty user friendly. I'm not a technology wiz, but manage to use the Rove without much difficulty.
Thank you for the suggestion. I would like to try and stay away from suction cup mount options. I find it stands out too much and doesn't look sleek. Do you feel this is the case with this camera?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
tleader
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

I have an older version of the Rexing V1 with the rear camera and have never had a problem with it. It's been in two vehicles and I live where it gets hot, still no issues. The only recommendation is to get a good quality SD card, the one provided is usually junk.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
socal619
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

I just picked up 70mai off amazon the other wk for the bimmer.. and it's been working great so far. On my other car I picked up Alasko dash cam thats front/rear dash cam. However I guess the alasko one is discontinued or else in wouldve got it for my bimmer. Just do some research and found one that's suits you.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I would like to try and stay away from suction cup mount options. I find it stands out too much and doesn't look sleek. Do you feel this is the case with this camera?
Quote:
Quote:

My Rove R2-4K sits almost flush with the rearview mirror in my X1. Mounted on Drivers side for convenience. I don't find it to stand out to much. Also as others have said, use a quality SD Card such as Samsung

Also, Rove seems to be running a Black Friday deal, might want to check their website, 30% off
Appreciate 0