E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF Intercooler and Lower Chargepipe Install

01-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Convertible

VRSF Intercooler and Lower Chargepipe Install

So, I finally installed my new VRSF 5" stepped intercooler and lower chargepipe! It was not as easy as I thought it would be and it took me a long time to figure out how to solve some of the issues I ran into. The website and posts make it appear that it's so easy, but it's not. I am a novice who likes to work on cars, I do not have a full complement of tools or fabrication materials/equipment and I do not have decades of experience working on cars. Since many of the people on this forum are like me (I think), I thought I'd give a little synopsis of how I installed it and what trouble I ran into. I researched how to install these parts extensively and, to my detriment, there was very little information on installing the VRSF intercooler. Yes, there were Youtube videos and instructions on other types of intercoolers, but none for the VRSF. There were some posts on this forum as well, but many of the posts were of the finished installation, and did not provide step-by-step instructions on how they actually installed it. So, for other novice mechanics who are deciding on whether to install their own VRSF intercooler, I thought I'd provide some insight and tips so that they wouldn't have to go through the same crap that I went through to get it installed.

First thing, the VRSF intercooler did not come with step-by-step instructions, pictures, parts inventory, or anything to help a novice in figuring out how to install the intercooler. I would have at least appreciated some pictures or some tips on how to install it. Not everyone is an expert mechanic. . . .

The removal of the OEM intercooler was pretty straight forward and instructions could be found on the Internet. Here's a picture of the OEM side-by-side with my VRSF intercooler.

I purchased the VRSF lower charge pipe upgrade with it, so the bulk of my time on the first day was figuring out how to take off the OEM lower chargepipe. I literally spent hours turning, twisting, pulling on that damn thing trying to get it out. Unfortunately, the only information I found out on the Internet on how to remove it was to just cut it off. . . which I did. Here's the side-by-side pictures:

Notice how the OEM lower chargepipe is longer than the new VRSF one. That difference will come into play later, and cause me a whole lotta pain.

For some reason, the lower lip of my front bumper was longer than the ones I saw on the Internet.

I tried to pull it down and force the intercooler into place, resulting in bent fins from the intercooler rubbing on the front brace. So I decided to just remove the front bumper.

On a side not, you see that the car is on jack stands. I started out using Rhino Ramps, but there is not much room for you to work. Trying to lift that intercooler in that little space was just not very easy. So I decided to put the car on jack stands to give me some more room.

Ok, so getting back to my biggest problem of the install, the VRSF lower chargepipe. As you can see from the picture above, it is significantly shorter that the OEM chargepipe. However, I think that the coupler used to connect it to the intercooler is the same. I don't know if Tiago provides separate couplers for from OEM and VRSF lower charge pipes, but he should. This was my first attempt at connecting the lower charge pipe to the intercooler with the coupler provided.

As you can see, the coupler does look secure over the intercooler outlet, which worried me a bit. I took it out on a test drive and I got an "Engine Malfunction" light, something was not right. Took the car back and raised it back up on the jack stands. I saw that the coupler on the lower charge pipe was not tight and came off, causing the Engine Malfunction light. So I tried for a few hours to get the coupler provided to attach securely to the lower charge pipe and intercooler outlet. There is NO WAY that the provided coupler could attach securely to the lower charge pipe and the intercooler. Again, I think it's because I bought the VRSF lower charge pipe, which is shorter that the OEM. I think that if I had the OEM one on, it would've worked. Either way, when I went back and securely attached the coupler to the lower chargepipe, there was about an inch gap between the bottom of the coupler and the intercooler. I went out and bought a 3" diameter intake tube and coupler from my local auto store. I cut about a 1 1/2 inch piece of the tube and used that to bridge the gap.

As far as the other side of the intercooler, the supplied t-bolt clamp wouldn't fit, so had to purchase worm clamps and use them. I used two, just for added safety.

As far as the mounting bolts, one thing that is useful to know is that you cannot reuse the OEM screws to install the intercooler. The supplied screws need to be used with the rubber stoppers because the VRSF intercooler will not sit flush with the plastic mounting bracket. I thought I would take the easy way out and use the OEM bolts, and I pushed and pushed and intercooler up, trying to get it to sit flush, but the only thing I accomplished was bending more fins. However, installing the supplied mounting screws was PITA! I used a pair of pliers to screw them in which resulted in damaging the threads. It was a tight fit, and I had to use all my strength to get them in, and I don't think there was any way to avoid damaging the threads. Maybe if I had instructions or tips from the vendor on how to do it, I wouldn't have damaged the threads.

I also had to use additional washers to get the intercooler flush with the mounting bracket.

This was not an easy install and newbies who are considering this should be weary of attempting this. I think that if VRSF provided some instructions or pictures, it could've been easier. But unfortunately, I was left to figure it out on my own. Hopefully, those who are going to attempt to install their VRSF intercooler will at least not make the same mistakes that I did. I have a set of VRSF catless downpipes that are sitting in my garage, but after this ordeal, I may just pay someone to install them.

Lastly, this is not an indictment against VRSF, and I'm not posting this to bash them. But I am giving them some problems I had with the install that they can hopefully remedy for future customers. I will say that the car runs great now and I've had no problems thus far with the intercooler and lower chargepipe now that I finally have it installed.
Appreciate 5
      01-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Feel for you, i have struggled w after market parts as well. I have vrsf 7, with oem lower cp, fits fine actually. i agree, never understood how to take that thing out but its fine as is.

Couple of things, in the second to last pic do i see oem coupler? If so why

Also, think my lower oem cp looks different than yours, not sure tho. As for the mounting screws i have ones w a hex on them.
      01-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Young_Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Should've left it to a professional lol.. I have the 7" and the install went pretty smoothly.
AA Signature Exhaust / AA 3" Catless Downpipes / VRSF 7" FMIC / AFE Dual Cone Intake / ER Charge Pipe / Tial Q BOV / RPI Scoops / RB Upgraded PCV & Cap / BMS OCC / Alpina Trans Flash / Powered by JB4 G5 ISO
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Feel for you, i have struggled w after market parts as well. I have vrsf 7, with oem lower cp, fits fine actually. i agree, never understood how to take that thing out but its fine as is.

Couple of things, in the second to last pic do i see oem coupler? If so why

Also, think my lower oem cp looks different than yours, not sure tho. As for the mounting screws i have ones w a hex on them.
The coupler is the one supplied by VRSF. VRSF supplied two 2 1/2" t-bolt clamps and two 3" t-bolt clamps, so I used the 3" clamps for the intercooler connections, and the 2 1/2" clamps for the chargepipe and the other downpipe. However, the 2 1/2" clamps didn't fit that downpipe, so I have to go out and buy worm clamps for that pipe and coupler.

I don't think my mounting screws had a hex on them, but I'm not sure. I was just so frustrated at that point that I just used pliers.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Man View Post
Should've left it to a professional lol.. I have the 7" and the install went pretty smoothly.
I like working on my car though! I think I will leave the downpipes install to a professional though. . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocksmooth View Post
The coupler is the one supplied by VRSF. VRSF supplied two 2 1/2" t-bolt clamps and two 3" t-bolt clamps, so I used the 3" clamps for the intercooler connections, and the 2 1/2" clamps for the chargepipe and the other downpipe. However, the 2 1/2" clamps didn't fit that downpipe, so I have to go out and buy worm clamps for that pipe and coupler.

I don't think my mounting screws had a hex on them, but I'm not sure. I was just so frustrated at that point that I just used pliers.
Vrsf should have given two couplers, one a reducer visible in second to last pic and two an elbow to be used on the dicharge side. The elbow should compensate the shorter lower cp.

But i also see the factory coupler w ripples and a metal band in that picture. That shouldnt be there?

As for mounting screws i purchased hex ones we have suggested to vrsf to supply them.
      01-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 N54 Aspen White

I'm pretty sure you installed it wrong...
      01-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kienvu14 View Post
How would you know? There are no instructions on how to do it correctly. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocksmooth
Quote:
How would you know? There are no instructions on how to do it correctly. . .
I installed it myself and we had to cut off at the one time use bracket. As well as all the clamps provided fit perfectly for me
      01-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Vrsf should have given two couplers, one a reducer visible in second to last pic and two an elbow to be used on the dicharge side. The elbow should compensate the shorter lower cp.

But i also see the factory coupler w ripples and a metal band in that picture. That shouldnt be there?

As for mounting screws i purchased hex ones we have suggested to vrsf to supply them.
Yep, that one does have the reducer on it and was supplied by VRSF. I didn't have any factory couplers. Both connections were like the chargepipe, with the metal C clips.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You're supposed to carefully cut that off....then the silicone fits over and you could use the provided clamps.
Attached Images

01-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're supposed to carefully cut that off....then the silicone fits over and you could use the provided clamps.
Good job, been trying to say
      01-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

And the metal bands should've been the t-bolt clamp supplied, but it wouldn't fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #14
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Oh, well how the hell was I supposed to know that??

Well, I guess I'll go back some other time and do that. My frustration is that VRSF could've provided me with that info when I bought the product.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lol there were plenty of reviews and DIY's that stated to cut the one time metal clamp carefully. I know it's a pain but it's fine.
      01-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #16
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Lol there were plenty of reviews and DIY's that stated to cut the one time metal clamp carefully. I know it's a pain but it's fine.
I appreciate the info. I swear, I went through the first 5 or 6 pages of the DIY section in addition to googling VRSF install instructions. In the end, though, it's installed, maybe not perfectly, but it's installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #17
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Have fun with the fmic! I kinda wish I went with the stepped 5" instead of the 7". The 5" stepped just looks so much nicer haha
      01-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #18
drocksmooth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Have fun with the fmic! I kinda wish I went with the stepped 5" instead of the 7". The 5" stepped just looks so much nicer haha
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #19
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Everything I have owned that's VRSF fits like shit. I had the same problems with the FMIC, and their charge pipe is too short too. The shitty charge pipe design pissed me off so much that I eventually sold it. The FMIC is what I'm going to replace next.

It's funny because I sent Tiago an email 2 years ago about basically the exact same problems you documented, glad to know he didn't do anything about it. At least his customer service is good even if the products are cheap and poorly designed.
      01-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #20
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Honestly I think that with anything aftermarket the fit is going to be questionable, hit or miss. That's the joke w me and my friends anyways - nothing aftermarket fits like stock. And this is true of any car aftermarket parts (mustangs, Comaros, etc).
      01-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
The metal clamps have to be removed and you're supposed to replace the original couplers with the couplers we provide

The lower chargepipe with the coupler is the exact same size as your OEM lower charge pipe. Please shoot us an e-mail if you have any additional questions, we usually answer e-mails within the hour.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 01-03-2016 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #22
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
Everything I have owned that's VRSF fits like shit. I had the same problems with the FMIC, and their charge pipe is too short too. The shitty charge pipe design pissed me off so much that I eventually sold it. The FMIC is what I'm going to replace next.

It's funny because I sent Tiago an email 2 years ago about basically the exact same problems you documented, glad to know he didn't do anything about it. At least his customer service is good even if the products are cheap and poorly designed.
We sell hundreds of chargepipes a month and we definitely had a short coupler issue that has been resolved for quite a long time. A simple e-mail would have resulted in us express shipping you a replacement coupler.

As far as the FMIC goes, if it's correctly installed there will be absolutely no issue what so ever. If you're not familiar with the correct install procedure, it's going to be very easy to assume the product doesn't fit correctly.
Appreciate 0