E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Humming/Groaning noise?!? Please help!!!

07-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
BlueBimmerJay
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Ok so my 2011 328XI sedan just started making this weird noise. It goes with the RPMs and I took a video of it. Hopefully you can hear it. It just started doing this a week ago. I have no codes or warning lights. i-drive says everything is ok but it's annoying. I'm hoping someone in here has had this issue and knows what it is. She has 108,000 miles and drives like brand new. But this sound is driving me crazy. The sound in the video is what I'm talking about. Your not hearing the engine until the very end. Thanks in advance guys and girls!

07-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Have you inspected your serpentine belt, the tensioner, the idler pullies and the accessories driven by said serpentine belt?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
BlueBimmerJay
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Have you inspected your serpentine belt, the tensioner, the idler pullies and the accessories driven by said serpentine belt?
Quote:
I haven't done anything yet. I'm looking for ideas on what I should inspect first or if someone has ever had this issue that could know what it is.
      07-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
BlueBimmerJay
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Also whatever it is it sounds like it's coming from the driver side if that helps
      07-06-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Alright, well you have your first idea to look into. Visually inspect the belt/s, if all looks OK, remove it/them(don't know what the 328 has, 335i is a single serpentine belt) and start the car. Is the noise still there?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
BlueBimmerJay
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright, well you have your first idea to look into. Visually inspect the belt/s, if all looks OK, remove it/them(don't know what the 328 has, 335i is a single serpentine belt) and start the car. Is the noise still there?
Quote:
Thank you. I'll do that this weekend