E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2008 BMW 328i

07-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
Telfy29
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

2008 BMW 328i

I have a 2008 328i with about 112k miles. I was driving home the other day and all of a sudden got an abs warning, within seconds I also got a transmission warning, steering control warning then my windshield wipers started moving on their own. Idrive went black and it seemed like my trans was stuck in first. Made it back home and the next day I went to try to read the codes off of it but everything was normal again and had no error codes. any clue what is wrong with the car? My initial instinct is the alternator. Is that possibility or is my car just possessed?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

check all the primary cabling, including the ground straps.
check alternator output
load test battery.

all basic "My modern BMW flipped out" tests.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfy29 View Post
... 2008 328i... got an abs warning, within seconds I also got a transmission warning, steering control warning then my windshield wipers started moving on their own [common symptoms of "Over-voltage" where Voltage Regulator ($31 part on rear of Alternator) is failing, causing system voltage > 15.2V with engine running, often 16V/17V, which plays havoc with ECU's]... the next day I went to try to read the codes off of it [Scan Tool or Software that can read Fault Codes in ALL Modules should find something in EGS (Trans) Module, DSC Module, and probably JBE Module, as those 3 modules control Trans, SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) and Wipers. I would NOT necessarily expect any fault in DME which a P-code reader would find. Did you use "Check Control" to look for "CC-ID" codes in KOMBI?] but everything was normal again and had no error codes. any clue what is wrong with the car? My initial instinct is the alternator. Is that possibility or is my car just possessed?
Your FIRST instinct is probably CORRECT! Hold the Exorcism.

If you have a Scan Tool that can read Fault Codes in Transmission Module, DSC, & JBE, check the codes and FREEZE FRAME DATA, particularly System Voltage at the moment the Fault Code was saved. If YOU don't have such a Scan Tool, get codes read at nearest Advance Auto or Autozone, and ASK guy with Scen Tool to check Freeze Frame Data/ Voltage. We'll ALL learn something.

If NO Freeze Frame Data of excessive System Voltage (> 15.2V) then activate "Hidden Menu 9.00" BEFORE you drive the vehicle so you can watch System Voltage (Alternator Voltage Output with engine running) on the Instrument Cluster as you drive. It's a bit of a pain, as you have to Activate Menu every time you turn on ignition to see Voltage display. When light show begins, check Voltage reading. Pull over & turn off engine if 16V or greater. Restart & return home, as continued operation at Over-voltage is NOT good for the electronics or battery.
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

Here's the part you probably need if you have Bosch 180-Amp Alternator (test first):
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BS-12317561939

George
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Telfy29
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Your FIRST instinct is probably CORRECT! Hold the Exorcism.

If you have a Scan Tool that can read Fault Codes in Transmission Module, DSC, & JBE, check the codes and FREEZE FRAME DATA, particularly System Voltage at the moment the Fault Code was saved. If YOU don't have such a Scan Tool, get codes read at nearest Advance Auto or Autozone, and ASK guy with Scen Tool to check Freeze Frame Data/ Voltage. We'll ALL learn something.

If NO Freeze Frame Data of excessive System Voltage (> 15.2V) then activate "Hidden Menu 9.00" BEFORE you drive the vehicle so you can watch System Voltage (Alternator Voltage Output with engine running) on the Instrument Cluster as you drive. It's a bit of a pain, as you have to Activate Menu every time you turn on ignition to see Voltage display. When light show begins, check Voltage reading. Pull over & turn off engine if 16V or greater. Restart & return home, as continued operation at Over-voltage is NOT good for the electronics or battery.
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

Here's the part you probably need if you have Bosch 180-Amp Alternator (test first):
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BS-12317561939

George
The only cc-id codes I got were ones I already knew of (windshield wiper fluid and tpms malfunction), code reader is picking up around 14.2v when not moving
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Telfy29
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfy29 View Post
I have a 2008 328i with about 112k miles. I was driving home the other day and all of a sudden got an abs warning, within seconds I also got a transmission warning, steering control warning then my windshield wipers started moving on their own. Idrive went black and it seemed like my trans was stuck in first. Made it back home and the next day I went to try to read the codes off of it but everything was normal again and had no error codes. any clue what is wrong with the car? My initial instinct is the alternator. Is that possibility or is my car just possessed?
checked voltage and it is hovering around 14.2v so battery doesnt seem to be the issue but, I did get a P144b code off the code reader if anyone knows what that is
Appreciate 0