E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > What did you do to your car today?

07-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #1673
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoper View Post
Been installing and configuring this
Nice.. what is that Hops??
it's an Android 10 CCC replacement
Works pretty good now that I've sorted it, installed a reverse camera while I was at it
Appreciate 2
Socket4542.00
      07-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #1674
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drZ View Post
Is that nbt?
Nah Dr it's an Android 10 unit, needed to do some config to get it working right but now it's working I can do lots with it, I'm going to setup MHD tuning and logging on it next, won't have to plug my phone in to do that anymore
Appreciate 1
drZ127.50
      07-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #1675
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Almost forgot, did this 2 weeks ago as well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #1676
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Looks good Hoper. A bit more spark doesn't hurt. How is your built engine travelling now that you have a few kms on it?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 02:21 AM   #1677
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Nice Did your have to modify the harness or is it PnP?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #1678
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quote:
Nice Did your have to modify the harness or is it PnP?
All PnP Socks, had to remove the foam from under the engine cover and it still doesn't quite sit right though

will see if I can manage to get them to sit lower

so far so good though, no missfires, not that I had any before, this was more of a protective measure change
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #1679
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
Quote:
Looks good Hoper. A bit more spark doesn't hurt. How is your built engine travelling now that you have a few kms on it?
Going really well thanks Coupes

Still need to do some decent detective work on the timing corrections, haven't had time, but it runs really well and makes good power

Will post something here when I start on the timing correction hunting as it's a common issue

mine are likely caused by the forged pistons and some piston slap totally changing the engine harmonics, that coupled with a solid flywheel means that it's very unlikely that my engine sounds like a stock one to a knock sensor
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 12:28 AM   #1680
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
All PnP Socks, had to remove the foam from under the engine cover and it still doesn't quite sit right though

will see if I can manage to get them to sit lower

so far so good though, no missfires, not that I had any before, this was more of a protective measure change
They look much cleaner then the bimmerlife coils Hops. If I had the $ I'd swap them out for the same ones as urs ... Very nice
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:33 AM   #1681
rooks335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Nah Dr it's an Android 10 unit, needed to do some config to get it working right but now it's working I can do lots with it, I'm going to setup MHD tuning and logging on it next, won't have to plug my phone in to do that anymore
Dont forget MHD monitor to get some gauges up!

Do you have the linky handy for the android 10 unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #1682
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooks335 View Post
Quote:
Dont forget MHD monitor to get some gauges up!

Do you have the linky handy for the android 10 unit?
AU $362.70 18%OFF | MEKEDE 8.8"HD 4G+64G Android 10 car radio multimedia player for BMW 5 Series E60 E61 E62 E63 E64 E90 E91 E92 CCC CIC system

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXbKfQ7
This is the one I bought, but you have to pick the Android 10 version and make sure you select the correct unit you're replacing (CCC or CIC)
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #1683
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:

Still need to do some decent detective work on the timing corrections, haven't had time, but it runs really well and makes good power

Will post something here when I start on the timing correction hunting as it's a common issue

mine are likely caused by the forged pistons and some piston slap totally changing the engine harmonics, that coupled with a solid flywheel means that it's very unlikely that my engine sounds like a stock one to a knock sensor
My engines have always had timing corrections for some reason which I cannot find. I see some members on these forums have no timing corrections on their data logs but I don't know how they do it. I hope you can find the cause with yours Hoper as it means more power if you can.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #1684
Zook_E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 X5M

Replaced spark plugs and ignition coils
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:04 PM   #1685
Elit3
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 323i E92

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Not "today" exactly but most recent upgrade was LCI tail lights for my E92. Should've done it ages ago, breathes new life into my 10+ year old baby!
Attached Images

Last edited by Elit3; 07-28-2020 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
shannon1639.50
Socket4542.00
      07-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #1686
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elit3 View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Not "today" exactly but most recent upgrade was LCI tail lights for my E92. Should've done it ages ago, breathes new life into my 10+ year old baby!
Welcome to the forum mate
Tails look sweet
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #1687
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My engines have always had timing corrections for some reason which I cannot find. I see some members on these forums have no timing corrections on their data logs but I don't know how they do it. I hope you can find the cause with yours Hoper as it means more power if you can.
yep some timing corrections are normal, but mine goes a bit far and pulls so much timing that I'm worried if it's real I'll break the motor

Tim's been looking at it, and it doesn't respond as it should if it's real knock, also pulled the plugs and they show zero signs of knock

I'm still not comfortable though, so more investigation is needed, just been a bit slow getting to it

for clarity, Tim pulled a bunch of timing and some boost out of it and it still behaved about the same, pulling 7Deg at some points

Also when the engine was still a bit tighter, one of the tunes had 0 timing corrections, when I go back to that tune it now pulls heaps

I was worried that I had a build issue, but I dumped the oil and it's clear of any metal, so that was positive

will keep you guys posted once we get into it
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:00 AM   #1688
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yep some timing corrections are normal, but mine goes a bit far and pulls so much timing that I'm worried if it's real I'll break the motor

Tim's been looking at it, and it doesn't respond as it should if it's real knock, also pulled the plugs and they show zero signs of knock

I'm still not comfortable though, so more investigation is needed, just been a bit slow getting to it

for clarity, Tim pulled a bunch of timing and some boost out of it and it still behaved about the same, pulling 7Deg at some points

Also when the engine was still a bit tighter, one of the tunes had 0 timing corrections, when I go back to that tune it now pulls heaps

I was worried that I had a build issue, but I dumped the oil and it's clear of any metal, so that was positive

You've got forged or changed internals. It does stand to reason that the stock knock detection wouldn't be 100% compatible with that I would've thought ?
      07-30-2020, 05:12 AM   #1689
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've got forged or changed internals. It does stand to reason that the stock knock detection wouldn't be 100% compatible with that I would've thought ?
yep that's the most likely scenario, just need to work out how to keep the protection but tune it to my engines new noise profile

my engine also has quite a bit of clearance and discernable piston slap when it's cold, so I can only imagine what that sounds like to a knock sensor in comparison to a stock engine
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #1690
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
yep that's the most likely scenario, just need to work out how to keep the protection but tune it to my engines new noise profile

my engine also has quite a bit of clearance and discernable piston slap when it's cold, so I can only imagine what that sounds like to a knock sensor in comparison to a stock engine
Why do you have piston slap? Are the clearances between the bore and piston too large?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #1691
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:

I believe there is a solution for different knock sensors for built engines, I believe VTT has posted about it before on the bimmer b88st forums 88=oo
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:10 PM   #1692
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Why do you have piston slap? Are the clearances between the bore and piston too large?
yep forged pistons Coupes, apparently you need to run more clearance as they expand a bit more with heat, the engine builder also added a touch more than the piston manufacturers recommendation (which is a min clearance recommendation), which in hindsight was probably not necessary as I don't work the car that hard, but then again I will eventually do a track day, which will prob see it run quite hot for a while

all up I'm happy with the engine at the moment, ultra smooth as it's fully balanced, and makes good power, it made about 10% more on the same boost and timing than it did before the rebuild, and that was before it fully loosened up

just need to solve this issue and I'll be really happy

I do need to rebuild my manual gearbox though, anyone seen bearing and synchro kits? I can't seem to find one for our manual
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #1693
RJ019
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Low Mount ST

Put R35 coils in this weekend.

Still need to go for a test drive see how they feel.

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
shannon1639.50
      08-02-2020, 05:21 AM   #1694
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ019 View Post
Put R35 coils in this weekend.

Still need to go for a test drive see how they feel.

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
They put out a hell of a spark
Appreciate 0