E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Question regarding new motor under extended warranty.

11-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 335i Coupe

Question regarding new motor under extended warranty.

Getting a motor replacement due to a spun rod bearing. I have an extended warranty, and my guy at BMW said the motor should be brand new, but that the warranty company reserves the right to request it be a used motor. Anyone have experience with this? What should I expect, new or used?

Here's a little background. Bought a 2012 335i with the M Sport package about a month ago from Long Beach BMW. The car has 50,000 on the odometer. Decided to get the gold warranty that they were offering.

Just curious what are the odds that I will get a brand new motor vs. used? I'm new to this situation.

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonM335i View Post
Getting a motor replacement due to a spun rod bearing. I have an extended warranty, and my guy at BMW said the motor should be brand new, but that the warranty company reserves the right to request it be a used motor. Anyone have experience with this? What should I expect, new or used?

Here's a little background. Bought a 2012 335i with the M Sport package about a month ago from Long Beach BMW. The car has 50,000 on the odometer. Decided to get the gold warranty that they were offering.

Just curious what are the odds that I will get a brand new motor vs. used? I'm new to this situation.

Thanks for any input.
What does the actual contract say? Feel free to post it here

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for any input.
I read through the warranty contract and didn't see anything that mentioned the parts they use. I'm gonna read through it again because maybe I missed something. It's the Gold package that BMW Long Beach offered me, not sure if that helps. Just not sure what would warrant them using a used vs. new motor. Engine miles? Idk.

I would post it, but it's quite lengthy.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:24 AM   #4
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for any input.
I read through the warranty contract and didn't see anything that mentioned the parts they use. I'm gonna read through it again because maybe I missed something. It's the Gold package that BMW Long Beach offered me, not sure if that helps. Just not sure what would warrant them using a used vs. new motor. Engine miles? Idk.

Which warranty company?

Previous: 2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | 2007 E90 335i | Monaco Blue Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for any input.

Which warranty company?
Fidelity.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #6
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Fidelity.
I just pulled a sample contract from Fidelity (https://www.sppexpress.net/images/JMA_VSC.pdf), and at the bottom of page 6, it says this:

Quote:
OUR OPTIONS: FWS will pay the repair facility directly or reimburse YOU for the repair or replacement of any Covered Part. Replacement parts utilized in connection with a MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN will be, at the discretion of FWS, new or remanufactured OEM parts, new or remanufactured aftermarket parts or used parts that meet the quality standards of the repair facility or FWS.
I assume you're having it repaired at Long Beach BMW? Dealers use new, genuine parts most (if not all) of the time, so if you get it repaired there, they'll specify new, genuine parts when they go to get approval from Fidelity. However, it does look like Fidelity has the option to have it repaired with used parts (assuming the contract I found is the same as yours). Not sure how the dealer would handle that, but if it's anything like collision insurance, they'll pay for the cost of the used/aftermarket/like-new part and the consumer can choose to pay the difference out of pocket to have new parts installed.

Ultimately, you won't know for sure until the claim to Fidelity is made. Just make sure they let you know if it's new or used before you authorize them to start the repair.

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Also, FWIW, the warranties I got on both of my BMWs ('07 335i with my local BMW dealer's "Gold" warranty and '11 335i with MaxCare from Carmax) both included a similar provision allowing them to require used parts, but I've never had them utilize this *knock on wood*. 7 repairs covered with a combined cost of almost $9k, all done at BMW dealers (and for the '07, at the selling dealer).

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #8
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fidelity.
I just pulled a sample contract from Fidelity (https://www.sppexpress.net/images/JMA_VSC.pdf), and at the bottom of page 6, it says this:

Quote:
OUR OPTIONS: FWS will pay the repair facility directly or reimburse YOU for the repair or replacement of any Covered Part. Replacement parts utilized in connection with a MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN will be, at the discretion of FWS, new or remanufactured OEM parts, new or remanufactured aftermarket parts or used parts that meet the quality standards of the repair facility or FWS.
I assume you're having it repaired at Long Beach BMW? Dealers use new, genuine parts most (if not all) of the time, so if you get it repaired there, they'll specify new, genuine parts when they go to get approval from Fidelity. However, it does look like Fidelity has the option to have it repaired with used parts (assuming the contract I found is the same as yours). Not sure how the dealer would handle that, but if it's anything like collision insurance, they'll pay for the cost of the used/aftermarket/like-new part and the consumer can choose to pay the difference out of pocket to have new parts installed.

Ultimately, you won't know for sure until the claim to Fidelity is made. Just make sure they let you know if it's new or used before you authorize them to start the repair.
Okay, great. I appreciate your help. Yeah, I am getting it fixed at Long Beach BMW. The guy I spoke with at BMW seemed pretty confident it would be new parts, he even said he would argue on my behalf for new parts, but who knows. He seemed relieved that I had the warranty and even said I pretty much won the lottery due to getting a new engine. He could've just been blowing smoke up my ass. When he mentioned that fidelity does reserve the right to use used parts, I got a little concerned. Overall, he sounded pretty genuine, and I have a feeling that the Long Beach BMW is going to get it taken care of. I just bought the car from them about a month or so ago. Fingers crossed. I'll update when everything is said and done.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #9
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Also, FWIW, the warranties I got on both of my BMWs ('07 335i with my local BMW dealer's "Gold" warranty and '11 335i with MaxCare from Carmax) both included a similar provision allowing them to require used parts, but I've never had them utilize this *knock on wood*. 7 repairs covered with a combined cost of almost $9k, all done at BMW dealers (and for the '07, at the selling dealer).
Okay cool, that definitely makes me feel a bit better.

By the way, solid last name, I've got the same one haha.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 01:39 AM   #10
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Okay, great. I appreciate your help. Yeah, I am getting it fixed at Long Beach BMW. The guy I spoke with at BMW seemed pretty confident it would be new parts, he even said he would argue on my behalf for new parts, but who knows. He seemed relieved that I had the warranty and even said I pretty much won the lottery due to getting a new engine. He could've just been blowing smoke up my ass. When he mentioned that fidelity does reserve the right to use used parts, I got a little concerned. Overall, he sounded pretty genuine, and I have a feeling that the Long Beach BMW is going to get it taken care of. I just bought the car from them about a month or so ago. Fingers crossed. I'll update when everything is said and done.

Thanks again!
Quote:
Okay cool, that definitely makes me feel a bit better.

By the way, solid last name, I've got the same one haha.
Happy to help!

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 08:17 AM   #11
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

If the motor is "new" it will be coming straight from BMW themselves. No one else sells new N55 motors. In that case, if it is new, no matter what warranty or dealer you are going through, the motor will come with a 2 year unlimited mileage parts warranty from BMW.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
Kev0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92

So you're only getting a new engine because you have warranty, right? Sucks that BMW doesn't cover a spun rod bearing regardless of a warranty. Btw. I live down the street from Long Beach BMW. It's a good dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
If the motor is "new" it will be coming straight from BMW themselves. No one else sells new N55 motors. In that case, if it is new, no matter what warranty or dealer you are going through, the motor will come with a 2 year unlimited mileage parts warranty from BMW.
OP's question was if the engine would be new from BMW or used (i.e. from a salvage yard), and both parts and labor for future repairs would still be covered under his extended warranty (assuming the repair was done correctly).

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0 View Post
So you're only getting a new engine because you have warranty, right? Sucks that BMW doesn't cover a spun rod bearing regardless of a warranty. Btw. I live down the street from Long Beach BMW. It's a good dealership.
Well, they said it was a spun rod bearing and is covered under my extended warranty (Fidelity) and I will be getting a new/used motor replacement. Just have to pay my deductible of $250. Yeah, they seem pretty solid at Long Beach BMW, they've been taking care of me so far, and the guy that I've been speaking to since this happened has been very helpful. Feeling confident that when this is all said and done, I will be very satisfied. Especially if I end up with a brand new motor, great return on my investment so far haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #15
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Any idea what happened to the engine and why it failed ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #16
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Any idea what happened to the engine and why it failed ?
Not too sure. All they could tell me at the dealership is that it's a spun rod bearing and they weren't sure if they would even be able to figure out what the root cause was. The car has been well maintained prior to my purchase, and I've taken great care of it since I've owned it. I've driven it hard a few times, but nothing that it shouldn't be able to handle, no redlining or flooring it. I've read a lot of threads on the problem and it seems to be somewhat common, not super common, but common enough that there are multiple threads on the topic. I knew this was a potential issue prior to purchasing the car, and that played a big role in me getting the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not too sure. All they could tell me at the dealership is that it's a spun rod bearing and they weren't sure if they would even be able to figure out what the root cause was. The car has been well maintained prior to my purchase, and I've taken great care of it since I've owned it. I've driven it hard a few times, but nothing that it shouldn't be able to handle, no redlining or flooring it. I've read a lot of threads on the problem and it seems to be somewhat common, not super common, but common enough that there are multiple threads on the topic. I knew this was a potential issue prior to purchasing the car, and that played a big role in me getting the extended warranty.
Thank you.

Was the Oil filter housing gasket done close to the time of the failure ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
You never brought it to redline or floored it why not

On a sidenote, I am also curious, have you did OFHG recently as Pladi suggests?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #19
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
Thank you.

Was the Oil filter housing gasket done close to the time of the failure ?
You know what, I'm not too sure. I should probably know that. I have read about people having this happen shortly after having the OFHG done. I'll find out if it was done and update you.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #20
JasonM335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
You never brought it to redline or floored it why not

On a sidenote, I am also curious, have you did OFHG recently as Pladi suggests?
Hahaha I plan on it, but I just got it a month in a half ago so I've sort of been in that being gentle/careful mode because it's new to me. I've gotten on it a few times, but nothing too crazy.

I'll find out about the OFHG and update you. I was reading about that correlation last week, but didn't even think about if it was done on my car until you and the other poster mentioned it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #21
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You know what, I'm not too sure. I should probably know that. I have read about people having this happen shortly after having the OFHG done. I'll find out if it was done and update you.
Ok sounds good. Flooring it would not be an issue unless the engine is not up to normal operating temp. See you never floored it and i do often and yet you had an issue. Thats not a reason for this problem. Just FYI. Also you dont want to floor it when the engine is brand new.

The issue with engines and what they dont like is low speed/RPM and high load/boost. Try to avoid those. Flooring it is ok as long as you do it after 3k.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #22
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Another one bites the dust. Hoping my warranty company will be as easy to work with as yours, but I have my doubts.
Appreciate 0