E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B12 to Koni Sport w/Eibach!

03-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #23
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Higher with the Koni definitely indicates blown bilsteins.

Side note: I'm past the 65k mark and getting the itch. This boat suspension has got to go soon!

Thanks for the remarks this far, op.
A twin-tube Koni has no effect on ride height. That's all spring.

A high pressure gas Bilstein can by it's inherent design, and normally does, raise ride height a bit.

A completely blown Bilstein would sit at the same ride height as a fresh Koni.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #24
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Higher with the Koni definitely indicates blown bilsteins.

Side note: I'm past the 65k mark and getting the itch. This boat suspension has got to go soon!

Thanks for the remarks this far, op.
I think the 1/4" height difference is more to do with new mount hardware but then again I am not certain. Again it is only noticeable because I measured the before and after installation. And at a 1/4" that could entirely be human error. The stance on this setup is the same as the B12 and no rake!!!!

Last edited by D's Bimmer; 03-19-2016 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #25
osukf09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 ZCP

OP - any update on the new setup? Curious to hear your thoughts vs the b12 now that you've gotten some miles on the new konis
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #26
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apjr09 View Post
OP - any update on the new setup? Curious to hear your thoughts vs the b12 now that you've gotten some miles on the new konis
I would say in general that they are very similar. If I had to pick, I would lean towards the Bilstein's. They just seem to dampen better and the car felt more planted than the Koni's. Having said that, I am running the Koni's at a quarter turn from full soft. I will likely firm them up a bit and see how that works.

With the Koni setup, the car is sitting a little lower than I want leading to some minor rubbing issues. I am going to be adding Rear upper spring spacers next week. 10 or 15 mm depending on the measurement. The front sits perfectly. I will post up some before and after pictures next week.

Bottomline for me is that I really like the Bilstein setup and will likely go back with them in another 60,000 miles. That B12 euro spec kit has got to be the best value on the market in terms of performance and value. The only reason I switched out was because the front right strut was blown from a spinout I am assuming and I was able to pick up the Koni's at such a great price and thought a change might be interesting.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either Bilstein or Koni.
      05-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #27
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
At 60,000 miles both of my front B8 dampers are shot. The front right is completely dead and the drivers side is leaking. I think allot has to do with driving style and road conditions but in the end for a spirited daily driver I think getting 60,000 miles is all you get before a suspension overhaul is warranted.
Doesn't Bilstein have lifetime warranty? I'd send them in to be rebuilt and then re-install after your Koni's die.

EDIT: Nevermind, it appears that it doesn't apply to the B12 kit.
      05-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #28
osukf09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 ZCP

Really good info, appreciate that feedback. Where did you pick up the euro spec B12 kit?

I'm leaning towards B12. Other option I'm contemplating is keeping my stock sport springs, and replacing my BMW Performance shocks/struts with koni yellows. I was initially also considering just adding b6 shocks/struts, but I really like my current ride height w/ front lowering perch and am a little concerned that the b6 would add a little bit of height.

Would love to see those pics when you get a chance, and hear how it rides after firming up the Koni's.

Quote:
I would say in general that they are very similar. If I had to pick, I would lean towards the Bilstein's. They just seem to dampen better and the car felt more planted than the Koni's. Having said that, I am running the Koni's at a quarter turn from full soft. I will likely firm them up a bit and see how that works.

With the Koni setup, the car is sitting a little lower than I want leading to some minor rubbing issues. I am going to be adding Rear upper spring spacers next week. 10 or 15 mm depending on the measurement. The front sits perfectly. I will post up some before and after pictures next week.

Bottomline for me is that I really like the Bilstein setup and will likely go back with them in another 60,000 miles. That B12 euro spec kit has got to be the best value on the market in terms of performance and value. The only reason I switched out was because the front right strut was blown from a spinout I am assuming and I was able to pick up the Koni's at such a great price and thought a change might be interesting.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either Bilstein or Koni.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #29
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

A high pressure gas Bilstein can by it's inherent design, and normally does, raise ride height a bit.

Ahhh, I see your point.

Quote:
I think the 1/4" height difference is more to do with new mount hardware but then again I am not certain. Again it is only noticeable because I measured the before and after installation. And at a 1/4" that could entirely be human error. The stance on this setup is the same as the B12 and no rake!!!!
Also true.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #30
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Here are a few iPhone pics. Interesting to note that the rear on the Koni's was sitting a little lower than on the Bilstein's. Needed to add a 5mm rear upper spacer to eliminate the rubbing. All in I am very happy with the performance, ride quality and now stance.
Attached Images

06-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #31
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post

Sorry your wrong. I just changed out my struts/shocks with 87,000 miles. My gap has increased. Original springs were kept. The gap space is probably back to oem spec. I've noticed over the yrs the car dropping.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #32
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Couldnt be more happy with my yellow btw. I should have made the swap 60000 miles ago when I bought the car.Stock suspension sucks ass unless you have decent roads in your area
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #33
andreu12qw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
I'm on Koni FSD+Eibach. This is the best street set up, very comfortable but has good control feel.

I bet yellow is more tight indeed.

How low does your car sit with the eibachs? do you rub or scrape anywhere on the car?
Appreciate 0