E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > (Help) Front Shocks leaking...

04-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

(Help) Front Shocks leaking...

(08' E92 w/ 79k miles)

My shop says I need to replace my front shocks (leaking). They also recommended I replace the links (control arms?). Not sure what they mean by links, or what other parts I should be considering replacing with leaky shocks.

Any & all advice is appreciated.

- Didn't see front shocks on Tischer (or is there a better OEM site these days?)

- Reading through the forum, a lot of older posts seem to lean towards Bilstein B6 or B8's (I'm trying to save some money, so OEM is ideal, but if I went aftermarket, I'd like to stay close to OEM shock feel.)

-

Last edited by MrSteak; 04-25-2016 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: number mistake
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Sorry your struts are leaking, but it is an opportunity to upgrade! Recommend not going with OEM if you are concerned about price. There are much better products that are also cheaper. We sell full-assembled, easy-to-install suspension kits for your vehicle. I would recommend the SM100 (Koni STR.T & Eibach Prokit) if you would like a nice budget-friendly suspension that offers mild lowering. Let us know if we can help.
Best regards, Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@strutmonkey View Post
Sorry your struts are leaking, but it is an opportunity to upgrade! Recommend not going with OEM if you are concerned about price. There are much better products that are also cheaper. We sell full-assembled, easy-to-install suspension kits for your vehicle. I would recommend the SM100 (Koni STR.T & Eibach Prokit) if you would like a nice budget-friendly suspension that offers mild lowering. Let us know if we can help.
Best regards, Chris
Thanks for the reply.

Just checked out your site, and while I'd love one of those kits, the parts I'm looking at are about $1,000 less.

Your name sounds familiar, I think I read one of your replies from an another post recently. Do you have Bilstein B4's on your car?

Been researching B4, B6 (HD), and Koni Yellows, and so far leaning towards the B4's. People seem to equate B4's to slightly (10%) stiffer OEM replacements compared to the Sachs... so I'm leaning towards those with 'Meyle' Heavy Duty Sway Bar End Links ($260 total).
      05-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Just checked out your site, and while I'd love one of those kits, the parts I'm looking at are about $1,000 less.

Your name sounds familiar, I think I read one of your replies from an another post recently. Do you have Bilstein B4's on your car?

Been researching B4, B6 (HD), and Koni Yellows, and so far leaning towards the B4's. People seem to equate B4's to slightly (10%) stiffer OEM replacements compared to the Sachs... so I'm leaning towards those with 'Meyle' Heavy Duty Sway Bar End Links ($260 total).

Hmmmmmm. Koni's carry lifetime warranty. Yep, they're good for it, even many years later. BMW? No so much. Other mfg's? Maybe - dunno!

At your mileage, past due for 4 wheel shock replacement. Koni FSD - requires sport suspension springs - is well regarded if you wish to retire pothole explosions and just $1k installed. Same handling as stock, but much much much smoother. Yellow, which I have, will be firmer depending on setting. Remember that shocks MUST be matched to springs - just any shock won't do.

While you're in there, install M3 rear subframe bushings. A trivial job with big returns! Inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hello, Yes, I have Bilstein B4s on my every day car - but will be switching to Bilstein B8s shortly and videoing the install for the website. Stay tuned!

Also, my kits are very competitively priced. If you add the price of the struts, shocks, springs, and all the parts and hardware, you essentially get the assembly and shipping for free. Plus, you save the install costs. If you were go to dealer and replace just your front struts with BMW replacement, you will pay more than my most expensive complete kit. With your year and mileage, you are going to need most of the parts and hardware replaced anyway.

Best regards, Chris

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #6
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Cool

Bilstein B8s all the way!!!!🤘 But Koni Yellow also rules!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:42 AM   #7
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Hmmmmmm. Koni's carry lifetime warranty. Yep, they're good for it, even many years later. BMW? No so much. Other mfg's? Maybe - dunno!

At your mileage, past due for 4 wheel shock replacement. Koni FSD - requires sport suspension springs - is well regarded if you wish to retire pothole explosions and just $1k installed. Same handling as stock, but much much much smoother. Yellow, which I have, will be firmer depending on setting. Remember that shocks MUST be matched to springs - just any shock won't do.

While you're in there, install M3 rear subframe bushings. A trivial job with big returns! Inexpensive.
Thanks for the advice. The consensus seems split between Bilstein & Koni, so each side's input is valuable (especially if they're from a car driven on bad roads).

I'm in NYC, so even with the stock sport suspension on my 335, I still get hammered with potholes, rivets, sewer grates, and imperfections DAILY (Plus stock is almost too low as is). If I lived somewhere nicer, I'd be open to investing more into suspension parts, but not on these roads.

Quote:
Hello, Yes, I have Bilstein B4s on my every day car - but will be switching to Bilstein B8s shortly and videoing the install for the website. Stay tuned!

Also, my kits are very competitively priced. If you add the price of the struts, shocks, springs, and all the parts and hardware, you essentially get the assembly and shipping for free. Plus, you save the install costs. If you were go to dealer and replace just your front struts with BMW replacement, you will pay more than my most expensive complete kit. With your year and mileage, you are going to need most of the parts and hardware replaced anyway.

Best regards, Chris
Thanks Chris!

Your kits are very well priced... I flirted with the idea of a full kit, but I need a bunch of other stuff done; so I'm trying to save a couple of bucks by replacing only what my trusted shop recommended.

A set of front B4's is less than a single B6. Plus whatever I get, I have to live with, so if I go lower or stiffer, then I'm basically stuck with it. Where as, if I just do B4/B6's up front and don't like them, I know to avoid them for the rears.

Also, as I mentioned... the roads here (NYC/Queens/Brooklyn) are a nightmare! So the B4's seem like the most livable, while being as good or better than OEM Sachs.
      05-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #8
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The consensus seems split between Bilstein & Koni, so each side's input is valuable (especially if they're from a car driven on bad roads).

I'm in NYC, so even with the stock sport suspension on my 335, I still get hammered with potholes, rivets, sewer grates, and imperfections DAILY (Plus stock is almost too low as is). If I lived somewhere nicer, I'd be open to investing more into suspension parts, but not on these roads.

Check in with CaptainAudio over at Bimmerfest. He's a NYC boy; installed FSD's in self defense. Right away he was a fan - still is.

Also, Koni's carry a lifetime warranty. Bilstien maybe....dunno!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Bilstein b4 limited warranty. B6 & B8 lifetime. Op I am in the same boat as you. Leaning towards the B4 myself. I would suggest doing front and rears at the same time cause your rears at 80,000 nyc mile are also shot.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
redline2001
Captain
Rep

Also don't forget to get the strut/shock mount kit. This contains shock mounts and fresh hardware. If you go with the B4's you will need new f/r bump stops. The B6 & B8 come with new bump stops.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post
Bilstein b4 limited warranty. B6 & B8 lifetime. Op I am in the same boat as you. Leaning towards the B4 myself. I would suggest doing front and rears at the same time cause your rears at 80,000 nyc mile are also shot.
Quote:
Also don't forget to get the strut/shock mount kit. This contains shock mounts and fresh hardware. If you go with the B4's you will need new f/r bump stops. The B6 & B8 come with new bump stops.
I'm leaning towards only replacing fronts, on the off chance I don't like them, I can do another in the rear. But with the money I'm saving from B6's, you're right... I should just pull the trigger on a set.

Mount Kit? Also, I can't just use the bump stops from my OEM shocks? Or does it make a difference?

I only see Bump Stops for vehicles without sports suspension on: https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33...rch/Bump_Stop/

Last edited by MrSteak; 05-12-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
redline2001
Captain
Rep

No you shouldnt reuse any of the oem bump stops or shock/strut mounts. Makes no since to fit new struts with worn out parts. If your shop doesnt recommend changing them I would look else where for an installer.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
FUKTHISFORUM
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: none

Selling msport suspension if you're interested? $400 springs and shocks
      05-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #14
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep

MrSteak, I had a leaking front shock on my car at almost the same age and mileage as yours. I replaced only the fronts with the B4s. When I went to replace them, I found that my bumpstops were degraded - almost rotted. Also, my front strut mounts/bearings were really worn. I ended having to replace those as well. And my rear shocks were leaking about 2 months later. I ended up spending more money and a lot more time by buying everything piecemeal. It is just time for new suspension. Your car will feel new again and you'll be saying "I should have done this a long time ago." The Bilstein B4s are good shocks - almost exactly like stock ones - I supply the Koni STR.T instead because they are slightly firmer and can handle lowering springs if you ever wanted to get some later.
Good luck, Chris
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 05:20 AM   #15
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No you shouldnt reuse any of the oem bump stops or shock/strut mounts. Makes no since to fit new struts with worn out parts. If your shop doesnt recommend changing them I would look else where for an installer.

Quote:
MrSteak, I had a leaking front shock on my car at almost the same age and mileage as yours. I replaced only the fronts with the B4s. When I went to replace them, I found that my bumpstops were degraded - almost rotted. Also, my front strut mounts/bearings were really worn. I ended having to replace those as well. And my rear shocks were leaking about 2 months later. I ended up spending more money and a lot more time by buying everything piecemeal. It is just time for new suspension. Your car will feel new again and you'll be saying "I should have done this a long time ago." The Bilstein B4s are good shocks - almost exactly like stock ones - I supply the Koni STR.T instead because they are slightly firmer and can handle lowering springs if you ever wanted to get some later.
Good luck, Chris

You guys are right. I keep saying the roads here are bad, so I'd be foolish to ignore the bump stops & mounts too.

I'm sold on the set of B4's, (OEM) bump stops, (Lemforder) links, but I'm having a problem narrowing down the mounts...

There are Lemforder strut mounts on FPC Euro, but it says "for vehicles w/o sports suspension" (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...60-31306775098 ). But the same part # on ECSTuning shows that it's compatible with my vehicle (https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33....0L/ES2580446/). They seem like they're the same, but FCP's site seems so much more organized, I'm hesitant the mounts won't work on my car.
      05-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #16
redline2001
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You guys are right. I keep saying the roads here are bad, so I'd be foolish to ignore the bump stops & mounts too.

I'm sold on the set of B4's, (OEM) bump stops, (Lemforder) links, but I'm having a problem narrowing down the mounts...

There are Lemforder strut mounts on FPC Euro, but it says "for vehicles w/o sports suspension" (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...60-31306775098 ). But the same part # on ECSTuning shows that it's compatible with my vehicle (https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-33....0L/ES2580446/). They seem like they're the same, but FCP's site seems so much more organized, I'm hesitant the mounts won't work on my car.
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-32...cks/ES2622813/ This kit will have everything you need. What shop is going to do your install?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 03:36 AM   #17
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-32...cks/ES2622813/ This kit will have everything you need. What shop is going to do your install?
Camber Toe in Lynbrook

They were a recommended shop on the NY/Regional forums back in 08'. Outside of warranty work, I've brought my car there ever since. They've done good work, they're well priced, super honest, and a few times found things that I was covered for outside of my 50k mile warranty.
      05-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #18
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak
(08' E92 w/ 79k miles)

My shop says I need to replace my front shocks (leaking). They also recommended I replace the links (control arms?). Not sure what they mean by links, or what other parts I should be considering replacing with leaky shocks.

Any & all advice is appreciated.

- Didn't see front shocks on Tischer (or is there a better OEM site these days?)

- Reading through the forum, a lot of older posts seem to lean towards Bilstein B6 or B8's (I'm trying to save some money, so OEM is ideal, but if I went aftermarket, I'd like to stay close to OEM shock feel.)

-
If your worried about staying OEM and saving money Bilstein makes a B4. You can get a set(all 4 wheels) of B4's for about $300.00. B4's also come in a sport version, just in case you have a sport package.

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2996428/...FQmqaQodrjAJaQ

You should redo the bumps stops both front and back & all surrounding support pieces that support the shock/ strut.

Look for Lemforder. They are the OEM supplier, and you will find, in many cases, substantial differences in price between that and OEM. Don't pay the BMW tax, if you don't have too.

All the surrounding parts might run you about $200.00 total.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #19
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
If your worried about staying OEM and saving money Bilstein makes a B4. You can get a set(all 4 wheels) of B4's for about $300.00. B4's also come in a sport version, just in case you have a sport package.

You should redo the bumps stops both front and back & all surrounding support pieces that support the shock/ strut.

Look for Lemforder. They are the OEM supplier, and you will find, in many cases, substantial differences in price between that and OEM. Don't pay the BMW tax, if you don't have too.

Thanks!

I'm definitely going Lemforder for the support pieces and end links.

I'm trying to only replace the wearable mount pieces individually, rather than spending $260+ on a kit. Haven't seen any aftermarket bump stops that are better than OEM, so I'll just grab a new set of those as well.

Originally going with B6's, but I'm happy with my OEM feel, so if the B4's are as good or better; that's fine. I'm sure the B6's are nice, but they feel like a risk on NYC roads (if they're too harsh, I'd be stuck with them).
      05-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'd recommend the B6. The OEM struts are horrible and anything that compares to them in my eyes (AKA B4) I'd not go with. That's my .02

I dont think you'd find them to be too harsh. Lowering springs would bring out a lot more harshness.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak
Quote:

Thanks!

I'm definitely going Lemforder for the support pieces and end links.

I'm trying to only replace the wearable mount pieces individually, rather than spending $260+ on a kit. Haven't seen any aftermarket bump stops that are better than OEM, so I'll just grab a new set of those as well.

Originally going with B6's, but I'm happy with my OEM feel, so if the B4's are as good or better; that's fine. I'm sure the B6's are nice, but they feel like a risk on NYC roads (if they're too harsh, I'd be stuck with them).
On the rear, you'll need upper, upper support mounts, lower upper support mounts, bump stops and maybe lower shock mounts.

On the front, strut bearings & bump stops

Your right on BMW OEM for bump stops. I don't think you can get lemforder for those parts.

FCP euro is a great place to get all of these items; FCP euro offers a lifetime warranty on the parts.

Other vendors you may want to consider are ECS tuning and Pelican
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #22
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'd recommend the B6. The OEM struts are horrible and anything that compares to them in my eyes (AKA B4) I'd not go with. That's my .02

I dont think you'd find them to be too harsh. Lowering springs would bring out a lot more harshness.
It was an incredibly tough choice between B4 & B6, but I'm already set on the B4's.

My logic was that the consensus suggests they feel better than OEM Sachs, along with being about 10% stiffer. Plus, I can have them for less than half the price of B6's. (Without having to gamble on their comfort on NYC streets.)

Quote:
On the rear, you'll need upper, upper support mounts, lower upper support mounts, bump stops and maybe lower shock mounts.

On the front, strut bearings & bump stops

Your right on BMW OEM for bump stops. I don't think you can get lemforder for those parts.

FCP euro is a great place to get all of these items; FCP euro offers a lifetime warranty on the parts.

Other vendors you may want to consider are ECS tuning and Pelican
By front strut bearings, do you mean Strut Mount? (Like this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...60-31306775098) If so, I already have it in my cart.

Also, I vaguely remember reading a thread about someone replacing OEM bump stops with a much stronger bump stop from Autozone/Advance.... but I can't find the thread anymore. The bigger bump stop may have been from another vehicle, but the pictures & fitment seemed impressive.

Was going to order individually from a few sites (ECS included), but after contacting FCP, I was impressed by their customer service, warranty, AND they were willing to price match, so it seems like a no-brainer now.