E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > SJSU Police

01-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #1
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

SJSU Police

So today i felt like taking off my back license plate (got my dmv plates to put on)...i thought it would be fun to cruise for a day without no back license plates..

I park in SJSU 20minute zone infront of the engineering building to pick up my lab kit and when I pull out of the parking area...SJSU police pulls me over asking me alot of questions of why I dont have the plates on. I explained to him its a new car and the dealer plates are just mere advertisement to the dealer. He just said "I better see them on next time.." and lets me go...

Is it illegal to remove the dealer plates? I mean theres no information on them other than the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
greentea335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i w/ SSTT

..... what if sum one punched u in the face and took off with your car keys.. the cops are the only people thats going to find ur car!!
thats their job
who knows its a brand new car or not...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Aija
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea335i View Post
..... what if sum one punched u in the face and took off with your car keys.. the cops are the only people thats going to find ur car!!
thats their job
who knows its a brand new car or not...
and that would make a difference if i had a dealer plate on or not?

but i can see about being a brand new car or not...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

Hey have the right to question you about the car, with or without license plates. THey are the police so they have to be suspicious.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Let me put it this way, the first thing I would WANT to do if I stole your car is to take the license plates off and replace them with something that is not uniquely identifiable, such as a random dealer plate. If cops like that didn't ask questions about plates it would make their jobs more difficult in the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Aija
Captain
Rep

i just realized one thing....this was the same cop that pulled me over in new years day for "no license plates" as well...and thats when i had my dealer plates. I was at a red light. Then i got the DUI test. (only had 2shots in 4hour period).

Although his friend wasnt there with him this time. (last time another cop was with him)

but i know it raises suspicion, but is it illegal?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aija View Post
i just realized one thing....this was the same cop that pulled me over in new years day for "no license plates" as well...and thats when i had my dealer plates. I was at a red light. Then i got the DUI test. (only had 2shots in 4hour period).

Although his friend wasnt there with him this time. (last time another cop was with him)

but i know it raises suspicion, but is it illegal?
probably is illegal. you're supposed to have both front and rear plates on but alot of cops overlook the front plate.

dealer plate = new car

no plate = don't know if it's new or not. could be stolen.
      01-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i took out the dealer plate, but kept the dealer frame and I haven't had any problems. even this morning i was on 680 driving to work and i was zoning out with all the other cars around, and then i realized that there were no cars around me. I look back and see a chp behind me. He wasn't tailing me or anything. He was like 4 car lengths back and i moved over and he just drove past me. I'm thinking that it'll depend on the police officer of whether they give you a hard time or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

At least you didn't get ticketed. City College of SF hands out tickets to parked cars w/o front plates or if they see something "wrong".

Imagine coming back from a long days worth of classes & finding a ticket for no plates while your parked...that will just be BS!
      01-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I don't have any plates on my car, and haven't had them. There's nothing wrong with not having plates on a new car if you have temporary registration visible through your windshield.
      01-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
DTSociety
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

thats bullshit man. i still drive around with no dealer plates and the cops don't say anything..even at sjsu, I havent had any problems. he's just jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aija View Post
So today i felt like taking off my back license plate (got my dmv plates to put on)...i thought it would be fun to cruise for a day without no back license plates..

I park in SJSU 20minute zone infront of the engineering building to pick up my lab kit and when I pull out of the parking area...SJSU police pulls me over asking me alot of questions of why I dont have the plates on. I explained to him its a new car and the dealer plates are just mere advertisement to the dealer. He just said "I better see them on next time.." and lets me go...

Is it illegal to remove the dealer plates? I mean theres no information on them other than the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
ilovejordanz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: jet black 2007 328i

^+1

i was posted infront of student services at SJSU in the no parking/passenger loading zone only with no plates waiting for DTSociety's laggy ass, a cop rolls by and didnt say nothing
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Dr.phuOnger?
*BluRp*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTSociety View Post
thats bullshit man. i still drive around with no dealer plates and the cops don't say anything..even at sjsu, I havent had any problems. he's just jealous
because ur gangsta mikeyyy
      01-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
greentea335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i w/ SSTT

why so many posts about 5-O's on this forum lately?? do they love to mess with us cuz they envy our rides??
Appreciate 0