E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Pulled over for PAINTED REFLECTORS?

01-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #67
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

damn i bet you guys secretly hate me cuz i'm white calling me bill all the fucking time

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #68
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

its 500 for a amber fix it ticket?!!? WTF?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #69
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

what if you dont even have a spot for the ambers, like an M tech bumper......what are you supposed to say then?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #70
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
what if you dont even have a spot for the ambers, like an M tech bumper......what are you supposed to say then?
drill a hole sucka

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #71
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i've been stopped by white, asian, and latino cops. i've only been let off once (i was pulled over in front of my house. i was followed for a few blocks and they said i looked "suspicious". bunch of bs). i'm asian & white, and i would say i look white in most peoples eyes.

anyway, i don't really think cops give any real preferential treatment to anybody for the most part (well, maybe if you're a chick). it just really depends on the cops mood, your attitude, etc...

that said, i'm sure there are some racists cops out there. and everybody's experience could be different.
      01-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #72
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
damn i bet you guys secretly hate me cuz i'm white calling me bill all the fucking time

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #73
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentea335i View Post
and it really depends.. if the CHP was white and ur white most liekly they like u go.
again if ur asian or black or latinos in ur E92 ur definitely getting a ticket.. i kno this from my personal experience with different cops.
asian cops are wayy cooler to us asian
i've been let off from asian cops twice
n never with WHITE cops
they jus hate u when u see ur fukin asian ass
That's not true, I've been let off by white cops two or three times in the past. Just be polite to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
i'm asian & white, and i would say i look white in most peoples eyes.
I think I need a new glasses. You look middle-eastern to me!

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #74
shragon
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterng View Post
      01-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #75
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Database? I'd like to know what db he's talking about... He might have his own "database" (a note pad) of people he's pulled over and gave a warning to. But there isn't a state wide "I've warned this person for this violation" database.

Fines and penalties are based upon the severity of the infraction, and it gets pretty technical on all the different levels etc. It's not a $500 fix it. The missing reflector is a minor equipment violation and the highest amount for that level is probably $96. Don't quote me on that though.

He wasn't meeting a quota, they don't have quotas, but just simple performance metrics. If there are 4 CHPs that work the same area and 3 guys average 100 tickets a month and the last guy averages 40 tickets a month, then there's a problem with guy #4. But there isn't some standard or performance review that says every CHP officer in this region has to issue XYZ amount of tickets.

The guy knows his cars for sure, and I think he was picking on you. Sounds like you're a younger guy (nothing wrong with that) but if he's asking you if you could afford a $500 fix-it, I'm assuming that you're a younger guy. Most cops wouldn't ask a middle aged person in a new-ish BMW if they could afford a $500 ticket. I find that many cops aren't big on the racial stuff (surely some are though), and some counties require the officer to record the race of the driver for statistics. Age and "punk-ness" are discriminators for getting pulled over though I think. Not saying you're a punk, but younger people are generally more targeted. A car full of teens in a nicer car will get yanked for sure. A youngish "baller" looking person will get pulled over in an instant.

I wouldn't worry about it if it were me. If the guy does pull you over again he'll write you a ticket for sure, but I can't imagine seeing him pull of a $1000 fix-it for an equipment violation that is not smog or emissions related. I'd make a note of this incident (while it's fresh in your head) and keep it around in case you get hassled by the same officer. It would stand well for you in court if it came down to it.

If you feel like you're getting hassled, request to have their name, badge / ID number, and name of their supervisor, and file a civilian complaint against the officer. Double check or go into the station personally to ensure that the supervisor is actually a supervisor of the officer your filing a complaint against. Sometimes an officer may just list the name of his/her buddy and the complaint never really gets filed. CCs are unwelcome to officers and affect their reviews... but don't file them unless you really do feel harassed.
      01-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #76
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Didn't he have one of these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I guess he re-painted it from the original pink color. Real men wear pink.
here goes the ken and barbie jokes.

that's right ray. real men wear pink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
That's a very good point.

Ken,
Can you confirm that you were not harrassed for not having front plates?
not harrassed for no front plates. as a matter of fact, he never walked to the front of my car. when we were cruising, he was towards the back half of my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post

ok bill nye the science guy!

haha i thought your name was bill at first too. false advertisement!

Quote:
i've been stopped by white, asian, and latino cops. i've only been let off once (i was pulled over in front of my house. i was followed for a few blocks and they said i looked "suspicious". bunch of bs). i'm asian & white, and i would say i look white in most peoples eyes.

anyway, i don't really think cops give any real preferential treatment to anybody for the most part (well, maybe if you're a chick). it just really depends on the cops mood, your attitude, etc...

that said, i'm sure there are some racists cops out there. and everybody's experience could be different.
+1 the cop was of middle eastern decent. he was really loud when talking to me. i could see his spit land in my car :mad:

and rob, i thought you were middle eastern at first too!
      01-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #77
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Database? I'd like to know what db he's talking about... He might have his own "database" (a note pad) of people he's pulled over and gave a warning to. But there isn't a state wide "I've warned this person for this violation" database.

Fines and penalties are based upon the severity of the infraction, and it gets pretty technical on all the different levels etc. It's not a $500 fix it. The missing reflector is a minor equipment violation and the highest amount for that level is probably $96. Don't quote me on that though.

He wasn't meeting a quota, they don't have quotas, but just simple performance metrics. If there are 4 CHPs that work the same area and 3 guys average 100 tickets a month and the last guy averages 40 tickets a month, then there's a problem with guy #4. But there isn't some standard or performance review that says every CHP officer in this region has to issue XYZ amount of tickets.

The guy knows his cars for sure, and I think he was picking on you. Sounds like you're a younger guy (nothing wrong with that) but if he's asking you if you could afford a $500 fix-it, I'm assuming that you're a younger guy. Most cops wouldn't ask a middle aged person in a new-ish BMW if they could afford a $500 ticket. I find that many cops aren't big on the racial stuff (surely some are though), and some counties require the officer to record the race of the driver for statistics. Age and "punk-ness" are discriminators for getting pulled over though I think. Not saying you're a punk, but younger people are generally more targeted. A car full of teens in a nicer car will get yanked for sure. A youngish "baller" looking person will get pulled over in an instant.

I wouldn't worry about it if it were me. If the guy does pull you over again he'll write you a ticket for sure, but I can't imagine seeing him pull of a $1000 fix-it for an equipment violation that is not smog or emissions related. I'd make a note of this incident (while it's fresh in your head) and keep it around in case you get hassled by the same officer. It would stand well for you in court if it came down to it.

If you feel like you're getting hassled, request to have their name, badge / ID number, and name of their supervisor, and file a civilian complaint against the officer. Double check or go into the station personally to ensure that the supervisor is actually a supervisor of the officer your filing a complaint against. Sometimes an officer may just list the name of his/her buddy and the complaint never really gets filed. CCs are unwelcome to officers and affect their reviews... but don't file them unless you really do feel harassed.
Thanks for the estimates..Does anyone know how much tint violations are then at maximum? Either Fix-it or need to replace?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #78
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
It's also a minor equipment violation and max should be $96. Oftentimes it is just the $10 processing fee.
      01-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #79
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post

:thumsbup: great info!

i dont feel like i was harrassed in any way so it's okay. he was just giving me a hard time.

i knew the database thing was BS. he said the next cop that pulls me over wont know that i got a warning but once the ticket processes through the court, they will see i've been warned and bump my fine from $500 to $1000.
      01-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #80
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
+1 the cop was of middle eastern decent. he was really loud when talking to me. i could see his spit land in my car :mad:

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #81
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken;
I don't need for a new glasses.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #82
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't need for a new glasses.
as a matter of fact, maybe BOTH of us need it since we're both wrong
      01-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #83
Dubai2LA
v3ed 3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Space/Coral

thats cool that you got off with a warning. I'm glad I'm one of the few people on this forum that actually doesn't mind the orange reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #84
shragon
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooken View Post
lol!

the middle eastern thing is seriously new to me. i've gotten mexican and italian before. well, italy is close to the middle east so i guess that makes sense.

i definitely lack the usual body hair though.
      01-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #85
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

i definitely lack the usual body hair though.
and your asian gf is very THANKFUL
      01-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #86
shragon
No_Country
Rep

hahaha yea i would hate to have body hair! both my parents have very little so i got lucky.
      01-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #87
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
hahaha yea i would hate to have body hair! both my parents have very little so i got lucky.
i dont have any chest or back or arm hair, but my legs are hairy. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:31 PM   #88
stooken
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
i dont have any chest or back or arm hair, but my legs are hairy. lol

lets not talk about hairy body parts anymore!