E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > N55Intermittent Loss of Power TSB: DME update

03-29-2019, 02:35 AM   #1
nate93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93

N55Intermittent Loss of Power TSB: DME update

Hey all,

I have an E-series N55, automatic transmission. I am around 58k right now.

I made an U-turn, a real sharp turn, so my engine was running at low RPM and turned off. I had to turn it back on after I put it on neutral.

Thanks to an user on here by the name of "Welcome to NBA Jam" pointed it out to me that this is a TSB (SI B12 09 12)
SUBJECT:
N55 Intermittent loss of power

MODEL
N55 vehicles, only with Continental high-pressure pump and MEVD172 DME

SITUATION
Intermittently, the engine idle speed may fluctuate up and down or cut off under any of the following circumstances, without any relevant faults stored in the DME memory:

While driving off throttle (coasting) and braking at speeds below approx. 10 mph

While idling, low-speed maneuvering such as parking, or if the steering is turned to the full-lock position

CAUSE
Unfavorable DME software

CORRECTION
Program the vehicle using the latest version of ISTA/P. Initial DME calibration improvements for this situation were introduced in 7/2012 and 11/2012. Further DME software improvements to completely rectify this complaint are now introduced with the March and April 2013 ISTA/P releases as noted below. For BN2000 vehicles program using ISTA/P 2.49.3 (release 4/26/2013) to the target integration

E82, E88, E90, E92, E93:
E89x-13-03-504 or a more recent version
It looks like I have to update the DME, and obviously they recommend ISTA/p. I don't have an ICOM, and dealer would probably charge an arm/leg for the update. I've used KCAN+ and winftp to flash PPK successfully.

I wonder if updating DME to solve this problem is like flashing it for PPK? What is my chance of getting done with KCAN+ and winftp? What would be the best route to DIY this?

I've read too many failures after messing with the DME. Any tips or insightful experience will be greatly appreciated.

Last resort is probably taking it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
KDCAN and winkfp update is totaly fine
make sure u use battery charger