E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Upgrading to Aftermarket HU

08-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Upgrading to Aftermarket HU

Hi all I'm new to this forum but not BMW's.. in my 29th year of ownership.

I have a 2011 335i Sedan without Navigation and HiFi (676) and Professional HU (663).

I'm seriously considering replacing the HU with an aftermarket unit such as the Kenwood Excelon DMX906S.
I'd like to get wireless Carplay and wireless Andorid Auto, along with a rearview camera.

I've been doing a lot of reading, especially
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323
and the list that ctuna posts in replies to most questions about audio (e.g. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...20&postcount=3)

I'm not clear on a few things and would appreciate some pointers.

1. Do I need to relocate the OEM head unit?
(a) Assist: With BMW having discontinued Assist it seems SOS should just be coded out.
(b) Chimes: from what I can tell the kit from Crutchfield includes a speaker and wiring to replace the head units chime output https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_541RP4B...Interface.html
(c) MOST ring: this is where I'm stuck... does my car's HU provide MOST functionality that I need to keep?
(d) Any other reason to keep the OEM HU connected?

2. If I do need to keep the OEM HU where in the trunk should I mount it?

3. The install instructions for the Kenwood decscribes a need for vehicle speed sensor signal in order for wireless Carplay to work.
Any ideas on where I can tap into (is this even possible??).

4. Can I tap into the factory microphone for input into the Kenwood, and if so where?

5. Should I be considering Avin / Dynavin / Eonen instead due to their proven installs in E90's?

6. Any other advice or caveats?

If I do go ahead I'd be happy to post my experience with lots of pics if there's interest.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

1. Do I need to relocate the OEM head unit?
Only if you take it in to a BMW dealership for something
that requires them doing diagnostics or updates.
(a) Assist: With BMW having discontinued Assist it seems SOS should just be coded out.
Coded out and physically removed. (or dissconnected)
(b) Chimes: from what I can tell the kit from Crutchfield includes a speaker and wiring to replace the head units chime output https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_541RP4B...Interface.html
Several different company's make Harnesses that retain alarms and give steering wheel control's. Connects2 comes to mind. There are some
threads on this .
(c) MOST ring: this is where I'm stuck... does my car's HU provide MOST functionality that I need to keep?
No
(d) Any other reason to keep the OEM HU connected?
If you don't want to go through the hassel of reinstalling it
when you take it to BMW for any reason.

5. Should I be considering Avin / Dynavin / Eonen instead due to their proven installs in E90's? Avin and Eonen are cheap which is why they are
popular. Dynavin is better from a quality standpont and a better fit but
they have been slow to implement Andrioid and Carplay . I don't know where the are with this.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-18-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
Canuck335151.00
      08-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
flgfish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2

Eonen is a crap. I bought one for a GMC and replaced it the following week with a Pioneer AVIC-4200nex. It was unusable. So bad I wouldn't even give it away - it's trash and deserves the waste bin.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:54 AM   #4
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
As someone who's had a Pioneer double din previously, and now the latest Eonon HU, here are my thoughts re: HU.

First, I have the latest Eonon GA9165B. I know that this is an improvement over previous units, including 9165A. I also know that the hardware in this unit is superior to other Eonon units which appear to have a higher model number. If you go this route (any "no name" android unit really), I highly suggest an Octacore unit with 4GB RAM. Other than the 9165A/B, the other Eonon units seem to only be Quad Core, even if the model number is higher.

Overall, I've been very happy and impressed with my Eonon. Previous models must have had some issues, but they all seem to be worked out here, including bluetooth issues which some referenced in 9165A.

The Eonon (and other car-specific units like Xtrons, Avin, Dynavin) will all look more integrated into the dashboard, and android-based units will give you lots of features and future capabilities (including CarPlay/Android Auto, plus any navigation app you'd like that works with Android etc.). I opted with Eonon as their latest device had the most/best reviews, plus the capability to run custom Android ROMs. The same might be true for Xtrons, but I didn't find that info. Dynavin doesn't use android OS, but is often regarded as a higher quality product... but with an appropriately higher price tag.

In the end, I've been super impressed and happy with the Eonon... without even considering the price point (I've seen it go on sale for < $240 USD).

Here's where there is a difference to consider: High end audio quality
For most users, this won't be an issue... but if you're an audiophile, or looking to play at very high volumes, this is the only place where my old Pioneer still outshines the Eonon. The audio sounds VERY good... but if you need "the best", you'll want to stick with an audio brand like Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc.

In my case, I've revamped the whole system, including aftermarket amps and speakers. The Pioneer had better RCA pre-outs, and a cleaner source signal. But for most, these are non-issues as the Eonon still does sound very good etc.

Hope that all helps. I've attached some pics of my two units too.
Attached Images

08-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
I realize I could have answered one of your other Q's too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
4. Can I tap into the factory microphone for input into the Kenwood, and if so where?
My pioneer and Eonon both required their own compatible mic (not compatible with the other deck either). My guess is the OEM mic won't be compatible with any aftermarket deck (but I could be wrong).

It's not difficult to route the mic to the OEM location (my Eonon and Pioneer both came with their own mics, so hopefully it's not an added cost for you), but I ultimately ended up mounting it on top of the steering column so the mic is directly in front of my mouth.

Also, re: carplay/android auto specifically... this feature can be added to any android HU with a dongle that can be found for about $50-70.
      08-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thank you all for your help and insight.

@Ali-323i, I see on Eonon's website they have a newer Android 9.0 (model GA9365) however it's Quad core and not Octa-core. Thoughts on which one is better?
I'm leaning towards it but it seems the dongle still requires a cable connection to the phone (I'm trying to get wireless AA and Carplay).

And I did look at the wiring diagrams for the mic connection. It's possible but the mic wiring terminates at the TMU which is in the trunk. So it doesn't make sense. At this point I'm planning to just run the mic that comes with the new HU to the factory location near the sunroof controls.

Also found out the kit from Crutchfield includes an adapter that provides the vehicle speed signal (they thought of everything!)

I've decided to keep the HU connected for the reasons ctuna cited - diagnostics and services are important to me since my independent garage uses factory tools and procedures.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #7
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Thank you all for your help and insight.

@Ali-323i, I see on Eonon's website they have a newer Android 9.0 (model GA9365) however it's Quad core and not Octa-core. Thoughts on which one is better?
I'm leaning towards it but it seems the dongle still requires a cable connection to the phone (I'm trying to get wireless AA and Carplay).

And I did look at the wiring diagrams for the mic connection. It's possible but the mic wiring terminates at the TMU which is in the trunk. So it doesn't make sense. At this point I'm planning to just run the mic that comes with the new HU to the factory location near the sunroof controls.

Also found out the kit from Crutchfield includes an adapter that provides the vehicle speed signal (they thought of everything!)

I've decided to keep the HU connected for the reasons ctuna cited - diagnostics and services are important to me since my independent garage uses factory tools and procedures.
Don't let the higher model number confuse you, the Octacore unit is the way to go. I'm not sure what hardware is used in the quadcore unit, but I can confirm the Octacore unit is compatible with some custom ROMs and MCU updates which further enhance the sound and functionality. Even in stock form, I'd prioritize the octacore over android 9.

I believe custom ROMs running android 9 will be available soon (though I'm pretty happy with 8 on my Eonon).

The eonon also comes with a Canbus adapter, so no need for a speed signal. My eonon shows me speed, external temperature, and batt voltage, plus other info I believe too (can control heated seats also - I just don't have any).
      08-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #8
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

It seems the GA9165B is no longer sold.. hard to find at MSRP (I see listings on ebay for ~$660 CDN but that's crazy).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #9
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
It seems the GA9165B is no longer sold.. hard to find at MSRP (I see listings on ebay for ~$660 CDN but that's crazy).
Did you try the eonon website directly? Or amazon.com? I found it expensive on .ca also, ordered mine on US amazon.
      08-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #10
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Yeah, the product description says "Out of Stock. Please check the latest version
GA9365"

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GP...h-In-Dash.html
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #11
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Yeah, the product description says "Out of Stock. Please check the latest version
GA9365"

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GP...h-In-Dash.html
Appears to be in stock at amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H83CXNT..._9BtxDb3HD96GV
      08-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
leeks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i LCi

Sorry to thread-jack, I have very similar aims as OP and have my interest sparked by the new Sony single-DIN XAV8000. With intentions for it to work alongside the CIC+iDrive that I have. Perhaps a silly naive question, but if the Sony headunit is about 600 and comparable to those of DynaVIN/Eonen, why would one choose it over the Sony?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeks View Post
With intentions for it to work alongside the CIC+iDrive that I have.
You'll need to dig into this (I don't have iDrive, so am of no real help here), but I suspect there may be hoops or challenges with this approach. That being said, I do remember seeing one post where someone successfully installed an Eonon or Xtrons deck in a car with iDrive. Those decks connect via Canbus to the car though, so I'm not sure if a "standard" HU like the Sony will also work in that type of a situation.

That being said, there are iDrive replacement options also (definitely from Avin, possibly others) that people have been pleased with. This would essentially mean replacing iDrive screen, but leaving stock HU below (and the new iDrive replacement controls all functionality, and routes audio through stock HU and in to the car's audio system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeks View Post
if the Sony headunit is about 600 and comparable to those of DynaVIN/Eonen, why would one choose it over the Sony?
Eonon: Half the price (<$250 USD), OEM look and functionality

Dynavin: OEM look and functionality, potentially better quality than Eonon (can't confirm, but that appears to be the main draw of Dynavin over Eonon). Keep in mind Dynavin is NOT android based, so carplay options may be limited or more expensive than those made for android units.

Sony: No OEM integration, look and feel highly dependent on the faceplate you use (and none will look as OEM as the options above), BUT you will get better audio components and build quality (though I have no issues with the build quality with my Eonon).

If you go the Sony route, I'd also suggest looking at options from Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, as they fall into the same category as the Sony, but may offer some preferred features, or better audio components etc (e.g. RCA pre out voltage)
      08-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #14
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post

Thanks. Ordered.
Now the journey begins...
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      08-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #15
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. Ordered.
Now the journey begins...
When you get it, I recommend updating to a custom ROM and updating MCU.

PM me for more info, happy to share, but you can look for hal9k px5 rom on xda forums to start.

Not necessary, but he's updated the UI and sped up the system.
      08-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
x79ftw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
Eonen is a crap. I bought one for a GMC and replaced it the following week with a Pioneer AVIC-4200nex. It was unusable. So bad I wouldn't even give it away - it's trash and deserves the waste bin.
I wish i saw this post before i bought one lol. I installed the Eonon today with Android 9.0 to my e90 with Hifi, and the sound quality was atrocious, i immediately reinstalled the stock HU and threw the Eonon in the bin, the sound was that bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #17
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x79ftw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
I wish i saw this post before i bought one lol. I installed the Eonon today with Android 9.0 to my e90 with Hifi, and the sound quality was atrocious, i immediately reinstalled the stock HU and threw the Eonon in the bin, the sound was that bad.
Which eonon unit did you get?
They make a few but the hardware isn't all the same.

Don't let the android 9 and higher model numbers fool you, the octacore unit is the one to get.

Edit: even if you didn't get the octacore unit, all may not be lost. There are MCU updates that improve sound quality, Bluetooth connectivity, and optimize the built-in EQ.

Let Us know which model number, there might be improvements available
      08-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
x79ftw
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Don't let the android 9 and higher model numbers fool you, the octacore unit is the one to get.

Edit: even if you didn't get the octacore unit, all may not be lost. There are MCU updates that improve sound quality, Bluetooth connectivity, and optimize the built-in EQ.

It was the Eonon GA9365 with Android 9.0 Quad Core, if i got the Octa Core Eonon GA9165A with Android 8.0 would the sound quality be equal to the stock HU or would it still be lower quality?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #19
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x79ftw View Post
Quote:

It was the Eonon GA9365 with Android 9.0 Quad Core, if i got the Octa Core Eonon GA9165A with Android 8.0 would the sound quality be equal to the stock HU or would it still be lower quality?
I don't think it would be any lower, but I suppose a lot would depend on which system you have in the car.

I'd warrant a big upgrade over base audio due to more power and no artificial EQ
My buddy got one in his hi fi equipped car and says it sounded better.

Logic7 may be a different story since you need to use an adaptor to convert the signal for fiber optic connection etc.

I'm super happy with it, but my whole system is aftermarket including amps. It's not as good as the pioneer double din i has in terms of rca output voltage, but it still sounds great.

I can try to dig a bit to see if there are firmware updates for your model number.
Would also be interesting to know which system your car is equipped with.
      08-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #20
x79ftw
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it would be any lower, but I suppose a lot would depend on which system you have in the car.

I'd warrant a big upgrade over base audio due to more power and no artificial EQ
My buddy got one in his hi fi equipped car and says it sounded better.

Logic7 may be a different story since you need to use an adaptor to convert the signal for fiber optic connection etc.

I'm super happy with it, but my whole system is aftermarket including amps. It's not as good as the pioneer double din i has in terms of rca output voltage, but it still sounds great.

I can try to dig a bit to see if there are firmware updates for your model number.
Would also be interesting to know which system your car is equipped with.
I have the S676A HiFi Speaker System(not logic7) that my 2007 328xi came with, when connected to my stock HU its sounds good, especially compared to 2010 e90's that have Base Stereo systems. Installing the Eonon GA9365 made my Hifi system sound like a 2010 Base Stereo system though.

Do you think the Pioneer AVH-500EX HU be a better choice for sound quality than the 8 core Eonon with Android 8.0?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #21
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Did you attach it through the Pre out or the speaker level outs ?

Or does the eonon have pre outs?

The Hi Fi system is already weak adding low fi inputs to it aggravates
the problem.

Pioneer AVH-500EX HU is going to have quality pre outs an Internals.
The Hi Fi system is already a marginal piece of crap. If you wants some quality you need to get rid of the Hi Fi amp at least and the cheap speakers
next.

All the good head units cost 500 to 1000 how can a 250 dollar or less cheap
unit do the same job.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-22-2019 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #22
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Did you attach it through the Pre out or the speaker level outs ?

Or does the eonon have pre outs?
From what I can tell it has both line level and speaker level outputs.
Is there a recommendation?

I thought I read in the upgrade thread the OEM amp with HiFi (676) accepts both line and speaker level inputs (though didn't see anyone confirm that).
Appreciate 0