E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 trunk not staying open

08-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #23
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Snapping the wiring harness at the hinge plane is NOT a good thing.

This is an E91 photo, but similar things can happen to the other E9x models with less wires to the lid:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=5

George
Just looked and my wiring harness grommet/weather seal is torn. Wiring looks okay, and this was definitely just due to age. Part looks cheap but not sure how I’m going to get the wires back through?? I must be missing something. Even the (smaller) connectors on the trunk lid end of the harness appear too big to fit through... ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
What do you mean? Do all your trunks swing open?
Mine definitely does not. Does yours? It would be nice if mine did!
      08-18-2019, 09:49 PM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Just looked and my wiring harness grommet/weather seal is torn. Wiring looks okay, and this was definitely just due to age. Part looks cheap but not sure how I’m going to get the wires back through?? I must be missing something. Even the (smaller) connectors on the trunk lid end of the harness appear too big to fit through... ??

Mine definitely does not. Does yours? It would be nice if mine did!
No ok, E9X don't swing open. But what were you saying that it pops up and like bounces off?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #25
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Mine doesn't swing open right away, it opens itself of course once I push it up a few inches(though I might experiment with the spring mod)

And my wiring harness tubing is torn as well. Thinking of trying a temporary fix using Shrink n Repair
      08-18-2019, 10:29 PM   #26
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
Mine doesn't swing open right away, it opens itself of course once I push it up a few inches(though I might experiment with the spring mod)

And my wiring harness tubing is torn as well. Thinking of trying a temporary fix using Shrink n Repair
Ahhh so you do have to help it up the first few inches. Okay, this makes more sense. I had taken what you said as it just popping right open as soon as you actuate the trunk release. Then that just leaves my only issue as the trunk opening with a bit too much vigour at the end of its travel.

I’d also like to do spring mod. Seems slick. I just don’t want to spend too much on springs... Googling the spec listed in comments on that YouTube video brings up only springs for special applications that are a bit pricey. I’m fine with Chinese springs of dubious quality, TBH.
      08-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #27
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post

Ahhh so you do have to help it up the first few inches. Okay, this makes more sense. I had taken what you said as it just popping right open as soon as you actuate the trunk release. Then that just leaves my only issue as the trunk opening with a bit too much vigour at the end of its travel.

I’d also like to do spring mod. Seems slick. I just don’t want to spend too much on springs... Googling the spec listed in comments on that YouTube video brings up only springs for special applications that are a bit pricey. I’m fine with Chinese springs of dubious quality, TBH.
I looked into it awhile ago but I'll have to again. I heard somewhere it could put more stress on the struts that could wear them out faster. If I do get the springs I'll test them on some spare struts I got from the junkyard
      08-19-2019, 03:01 AM   #28
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorupausan View Post
hey bro, check this out
I NEED this!!!
Appreciate 0