E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Proper way to mount a front lip?

08-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Proper way to mount a front lip?

How is your front lip mounted? Did you use screws and that was good enough or did you also use fasteners to hold them in as well? My CF lip lasted 2 days before falling down and I was surprised my mechanic didn't use any fasteners. So is that necessary?

The top pic is how it was before it came down. It's actually much lower now then it was in the second and third pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i 6MT

I just completed this on my e90 last night. Did the Arkym Style lip from Seibon.

The bottom has two small metal screws. The same ones used for the underbody panels and fender liners. There's one on each corner nearest the wheel.

Then, I used plastic body rivets to mount the rest of the bottom of the lip to the bumper.

Finally, I used 3M VHB tape for the top edge of the lip where is meats the bumper. The stuff is sticky but I used 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean both surfaces and 3M adhesive promoter to aid in the bonding.

I grabbed some gorilla tape and tightened in the places where the VHB double sided tape is to help with the 48 hour curation period.
      08-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchWolf34 View Post
I just completed this on my e90 last night. Did the Arkym Style lip from Seibon.

The bottom has two small metal screws. The same ones used for the underbody panels and fender liners. There's one on each corner nearest the wheel.

Then, I used plastic body rivets to mount the rest of the bottom of the lip to the bumper.

Finally, I used 3M VHB tape for the top edge of the lip where is meats the bumper. The stuff is sticky but I used 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean both surfaces and 3M adhesive promoter to aid in the bonding.

I grabbed some gorilla tape and tightened in the places where the VHB double sided tape is to help with the 48 hour curation period.
I see. Were those all included with the lip or did you decide to add the rivets yourself?

I just wanna know if anybody takes the front wheels and fender liner off in order to attach fasteners to catch the screws on the other side of the bumper.

I'm taking the car to the shop this morning and I wanna know if I should ask him to use the fasteners or some other way to reinforce the lip. I don't feel that it will last very long if he just reattaches the same screws again. The lip drags a bit coming in and out of my driveway. Perhaps I'm just not meant to have a lip at all \(>__<)/
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
Kev0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92

All you need is self tapping screws. No need for tape. I went through 3 arkym style lips and the last 2 had a good beating with just self tapping screws.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Aside from the above comments. I always had luck with buying a few drinks first.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I understand it’s required by law...but that front plate really looks like @$$. It may be worth the cost of the ticket to avoid that...

Thankful they don’t have those here...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
I understand it’s required by law...but that front plate really looks like @$$. It may be worth the cost of the ticket to avoid that...

Thankful they don’t have those here...
Better then drilling holes in the bumper. This is San Francisco CA and there's no getting around a front plate.
Appreciate 0