E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New 1 Series FWD

07-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

New 1 Series FWD

Now I know this is an E90 forum but just thought I'd start a bit of a discussion on what peoples thoughts are on the new FWD 1 Series. I've just seen a few reviews on YouTube comparing the new 135i against the old 140i, and in my opinion - what a mistake! 4 cylinders, fwd, less power, slower and what the hell is going on with the grills!
Looks like the days of the 6 pot really are numbered. What next - a fwd 3 series?
It looks to me like BMW are just becoming another mundane car company.

Discuss!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:46 AM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I thought the fast versions were going to be x drive like the fast A series Mercs?

Like you I am not a fan of the move to front wheel drive. Rear wheel drive was always what made BMW's stand out form the crowd.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

The 135i review I seen was x-drive but is essentially fwd with only up to 50% of the power being sent to the rear wheels when the car feels like it needs it.

I'm really surprised that this topic has generated so little interest. Sometimes this place is just dead. I thought for sure that a switch to fwd would have everyone piping up. I've posted the exact same on a Ford forum I'm on and its certainly generated a fair bit of interest amongst those lot. Cant believe a brand new approach from BMW is being discussed more on a Ford forum!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #4
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post
The 135i review I seen was x-drive but is essentially fwd with only up to 50% of the power being sent to the rear wheels when the car feels like it needs it.

I'm really surprised that this topic has generated so little interest. Sometimes this place is just dead. I thought for sure that a switch to fwd would have everyone piping up. I've posted the exact same on a Ford forum I'm on and its certainly generated a fair bit of interest amongst those lot. Cant believe a brand new approach from BMW is being discussed more on a Ford forum!
The manual option has already gone from 40i cars so couldn't care less what they do now, think I'll try to find a late m240i manual and just keep it forever!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Maybe we should all just admit defeat and buy an electric car 😂

I must admit if I had the cash I would spend on an old school E46 M3 rather than any of the new models.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

I'm not happy with the move whatsoever. Even if it is X Drive, it's the wrong way round unlike older X drive where its biased towards the rear! The fun factor has definitely been lost. Mind you, when the M135i was first launched, I did think it would be a tough act to follow as it was such a success..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 11:42 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick46 View Post

I can't say I understand the move at all, other than profit and fuel efficiency. I guess why lots of folk aren't engaging with thus thread is the same reason we're on *e90*post; BMWs have been getting diluted for many years now. BMW used to be a relatively low volume, high value manufacturer, but now it's fully mainstream like vw etc, and their product is designed/specced/built accordingly. I can remember in the late 90s how few BMWs were on the road, but even e9xs seem to be everywhere...minis are everywhere, etc.

I'm sure on the road you'll not notice the difference on the new 1er unless you're doing something that you really ought not to. BMWs have always stood out because their handling holds good even at track pace, but Bruce and Sheila McAverage just don't care/realise and they make up the majority of BMWs market now. Sad to see it happen, but it was always going to.

Looks like we'll all have to buy GT86s if we want newer cars
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:14 AM   #8
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
I can't say I understand the move at all, other than profit and fuel efficiency. I guess why lots of folk aren't engaging with thus thread is the same reason we're on *e90*post; BMWs have been getting diluted for many years now. BMW used to be a relatively low volume, high value manufacturer, but now it's fully mainstream like vw etc, and their product is designed/specced/built accordingly. I can remember in the late 90s how few BMWs were on the road, but even e9xs seem to be everywhere...minis are everywhere, etc.

I'm sure on the road you'll not notice the difference on the new 1er unless you're doing something that you really ought not to. BMWs have always stood out because their handling holds good even at track pace, but Bruce and Sheila McAverage just don't care/realise and they make up the majority of BMWs market now. Sad to see it happen, but it was always going to.

Looks like we'll all have to buy GT86s if we want newer cars
I'll tell you what, I wouldn't mind a GT86 with either a supercharger or turbocharger strapped on.....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #9
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

So it is basically a BMW SI.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Maybe we should all just admit defeat and buy an electric car ��

I must admit if I had the cash I would spend on an old school E46 M3 rather than any of the new models.
For sure. The way things are going it's not just 6-cylinders whose days are numbered but high performance petrol cars in general. My philosophy is to get my fill while I still can.

I'm saving for a house right now but hope to be in a position to buy a car around this time next year. If the F8x hasn't dropped into my budget by then I will be getting an e92 M3 or e46 M3. Anything less just doesn't interest me anymore.
Appreciate 1
blueh8869.00
      07-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #11
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

According to many on piston heads it's impossible to tell which wheels are driven anyway! Car world's gone nuts. BMW with fwd well why would you other than brand - far better cars from other manufacturers in the fwd space.
Appreciate 0