Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 2011 328i won't start - dealer needed?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
zipperhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

2011 328i won't start - dealer needed?

Looking for a little direction here. Sorry this is so lengthy but I have some important details that may help determine this issue.

I just replaced the oil filter housing gasket on the wife's 2011 328i. No issues with the gasket replacement, however due to the lack having all of the tools I needed, this project ended up taking 2 days as I had to order a wrench off Amazon to complete the job today. So here's the problem - like an idiot, I closed the trunk when I was cleaning up yesterday without remembering that the battery was disconnected. I searched YouTube and was able to find out how to get the trunk open using another vehicle connected to the jump start terminals under the hood. So I pulled my 2003 F150 up next to the 328 to see if I could get it to work. When I initially hooked up the jumper cables, my truck was running and when I tried to open the trunk with the keyfob, I got no response. I also noticed that the side marker lights were on. After shutting off the truck with the jumper cables still connected, the trunk of the 328 then in fact opened with the keyfob. When I walked around the front of the vehicle I noticed that there was what I though was windshield washer fluid all over the front bumper. I later came to find out that it was actually coolant. That was the end of the day yesterday - cleaned up and was done.

Today I received the new wrench and completed the oil filter housing gasket repair. All went smoothly. When I got in the car to start it, all it did was crank but never did start. I got different errors on the display after cranking. Among others, one of the errors being the 4x4 icon with the triangle and exclamation point came up. After I was done cranking I got out of the car and walked around the front and I heard a weird sort of crackling sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. On further investigation it turned out to be coolant flowing/pissing into the reservoir from the overflow hose. Huh? The engine was cool and had not been running so what's the deal? I disconnected the battery and the coolant flow stopped. Huh? So my thoughts are that maybe I messed up a computer or the electric water pump or something else when I connected my truck up to the vehicle to get the trunk open. I never did insert the key or energize the ignition system during that time. I did disconnect the MAF sensor just to see if it would make a difference with starting. It didn't.

I sure don't wanna take it to a dealer if I don't have to.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Appreciate 0