E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mystery Cable Preventing Removal of Phone Cradle for Tray. Any Ideas?

08-02-2019, 03:41 AM   #1
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Exclamation Mystery Cable Preventing Removal of Phone Cradle for Tray. Any Ideas?

Hi all,

I tried to remove my armrest phone cradle the other day, to replace with the OEM cubby tray - a well known 'mod'.

Like this:

All DIYs online show it as a 2 minute job - pop cradle up, unclip two cables from their respect plugs. Remove and replace with tray. Simple.

However - my car has a mystery 3rd cable, which is not shown in any online guide I have found so far?

Unlike the other 2 cables, there is no local (accessable) plug to unclip it from. It is also not shown on Real OEM, so I'm completely lost as to where it leads back to, or even it's function.

The two cables which are unplugged are shown above the console, the mystery 3rd cable is the lower one heading back inside the console.

It head back toward the rear of the car (the steel bar is the handbrake).

I removed the rear AC vent panel but it does not show the cable. I assume it disappears underneath the trans tunnel back to the boot modules etc.

The only thing I have been able to find online is some reference to it being to do with 6NR? Which is why most DIYs don't show it (as many of them are being performed on earlier cars).

This bags the next question - should I even remove remove it? Will it disable anything? If safe to remove, where do I unclip from?

Sorry for all the questions - hoping someone with intimate knowledge may be able to help!

Thanks all,

Keith

E92 M3 DCT 1 of 25 Santorini Blue Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:21 AM   #2
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

What year is the car? Does it have combox?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:44 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

If I recall correctly, it should be the fakra connector for the antenna. Here is a link for one on the German eBay. You just need to dig a little deeper to get to the connector.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Grundpla...MAAOSwmMNcWpCy
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:05 AM   #4
Luthfie
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
If I recall correctly, it should be the fakra connector for the antenna. Here is a link for one on the German eBay. You just need to dig a little deeper to get to the connector.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Grundpla...MAAOSwmMNcWpCy
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #5
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all.

You absolute beauty! Thank you so much for the link - that is it.

Only issue is, there is no chance of digging any deeper, I genuinely cannot even see the plug, let alone unclip it. I guess it’ll be a centre console off job.

Do you think it’ll be ok to unplug it - as in, I won’t lose any functions?

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep

OK, sorted it. Seems to be an antenna connection as you guys stated. Would still love to know exactly what, if any can be more specific as to its function. Why is it on my car but not any of the DIYs online? Will it affect any of my connectivity / functionality without?

You have zero chance of being able to unplug it without dismantling the centre console trim. I chose to remove the rear section, as there are less electrical connections to unplug compared to the front

See pics:

Plug is located on the drivers side, low down, adjacent to the rear vents. Just where the front console meets the rear section.

Tray in place - much more practical

Whether or not I have any connection / reception problems after disconnection is yet to be seen... I'll report back if I do!

Appreciate 0