E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 - CEL, multiple codes (VANOS, cats)

08-12-2019, 04:53 AM   #1
midgard_coil
Rep
Drives: E91 325i Touring

N52 - CEL, multiple codes (VANOS, cats)

Hi!

On my '06 325i (N52B25A, EU spec. 218hp) the CEL came on, checked for error codes, turned out there's plenty. VANOS-related codes are 2A82, 2A87 (VANOS intake/exhaust jammed mechanically), I also have 29F4 and 29F5 (cats. efficiency below threshold) and 2EE3 (something related to the coolant temp. sensor).

What I've already did/changed:
  • new spark plugs
  • new VANOS solenoids
  • cleaned VANOS filters
  • cleaned injectors
  • new oil/filters (obviously)

The symptoms - apart from the CEL and codes - are:
  • oil consumption (~ 1quart/1000 miles, 1L/1500km)
  • occasional loss of power (turning the engine off, then on again solves the issue)

Additional info/thoughts: The car is not tuned, everything is stock. She has 270.000km/170.000miles on it, so my cats may well be shot given the amount of oil consumption, but I don't want to change the cats and ruin the new ones also, first it should be wise to track the cause of oil consumption. How should I proceed with that?

I'm also aware of the infamous camshaft bearing ledge issue (when the camshaft rings can carve a groove into the head/bearing ledge) which if present, should explain the VANOS-related codes and occasional loss of power. On the other hand I'm not sure about oil-consumption - the car was probably cared after, engine wear should not be the issue (though it may be). Any tips on this one? CCV system maybe? I also have no idea about the coolant temp. sensor code.

I might pull the head cover sometimes soon (I'm having a mild oil-leak issue there anyway), so I'll have the chance of a thorough examination of the cams/head area, could also change the CCV if those were faulty. What other parts should I be worrying about? How should I proceed with diagnosing the cause of the problem?

Thank you for any suggestions, cheers!
Gabor
Appreciate 0