E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil warnings (no codes)

08-18-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
Zepphonn
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i E82

Oil warnings (no codes)

Hi all,
I’ll start by providing some background information:
I picked up my n52 a few months ago and can safely say I’m loving it. Though Ive had multiple oil level warnings throughout my ownership. After coming up one or twice, I switched the oil in the car, and refilled it. All was good for about a month or so. Now whenever i turn on the car and drive for a few minutes, i get the warning again. There isn’t any oil leaks and doesn’t throw any codes. I’m thinking faulty sensor? Or at least that’s hat I’m hoping for.
Anyone have similar experiences?

EDIT- The warnings is a low oil warning which prompts me to put 1L of oil into the car
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Could be a sensor issue. Or could also be a leak. The most common places to check is under oil filter housing, valve cover (back and left), oil pan and the main seal. For the last 2, you would have to put the car on a hoist and remove the engine splash cover.

Also do you see white smoke coming out the back when you go full throttle? Maybe its burning oil. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      08-19-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
vester86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D '08

is it possible that it burns/uses oil amd you actually have to top it off with 1ltr of oil??
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Zepphonn
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazythedon View Post
Could be a sensor issue. Or could also be a leak. The most common places to check is under oil filter housing, valve cover (back and left), oil pan and the main seal. For the last 2, you would have to put the car on a hoist and remove the engine splash cover.

Also do you see white smoke coming out the back when you go full throttle? Maybe its burning oil. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Good luck.

Hey, haven’t seen any leaks around the car at all. And I can’t say that I’ve noticed smoke while going full throttle.
I’ve decided on taking it to a family mechanic too have a look, I’ll update on the situation soon!

Edit:
Just to clarify, I’ve had this issue since I’ve picked up the car. Got the oil warning a couple times then quick quickly changed the oil. When draining the oil, I noticed that there was still a good amount of oil in the engine (filled up a 7L bottle). So this makes me think that it’s not burning oil or a leak, but rather a sensor issue

Last edited by Zepphonn; 08-19-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0