E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH 30FF or 100% WGDC PLEASE READ.

07-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

FOR ANYONE DEALING WITH 30FF or 100% WGDC PLEASE READ.

I have a 2007 e92. I’ve been chasing down a boost leak and finally had the biggest leap forward. This is what i did:

So i already did the basics, replaced vac lines, pressure tested, smoke tested (with cigar and fluid transfer pump) adjusted rear wg, adjusted front with 2 washers per bolt, replaced both boost solenoids.

My wastegates all closed at 5.9in HG, they have rattle but nothing insane.

Even with all this i still could easily trigger 30FF when flooring it and had 100% WGDC in my logs. My problem felt more like the wastegates not shutting when they should vs parasitically losing boost from a leak. It just felt like sometimes my WGs would close, sometimes they wouldn’t. When they would finally close my car boosted great.

Well this all changed yesterday. And here’s what i did.

#1 i put some dialectic grease on the plugs to my boost solenoids.

#2 i installed a stock MHD tune.

Problem solved!!!

Now my WGDC is around 67% ish, and my car doesn’t even rattle anymore (not nearly as much.)

So my conclusion is likely that i needed that updated MHD tune vs my stock tune from whenever. Also i didn’t drive the car after i put the dialectric grease on my solenoid plugs until after i retuned however i do believe the tune is what changed the game for me.

So if your hunting down 30FF and ruled out every possible option. TRY a stock MHD tune and it may solve your problems!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
I have a 2007 e92. I’ve been chasing down a boost leak and finally had the biggest leap forward. This is what i did:

So i already did the basics, replaced vac lines, pressure tested, smoke tested (with cigar and fluid transfer pump) adjusted rear wg, adjusted front with 2 washers per bolt, replaced both boost solenoids.

My wastegates all closed at 5.9in HG, they have rattle but nothing insane.

Even with all this i still could easily trigger 30FF when flooring it and had 100% WGDC in my logs. My problem felt more like the wastegates not shutting when they should vs parasitically losing boost from a leak. It just felt like sometimes my WGs would close, sometimes they wouldn’t. When they would finally close my car boosted great.

Well this all changed yesterday. And here’s what i did.

#1 i put some dialectic grease on the plugs to my boost solenoids.

#2 i installed a stock MHD tune.

Problem solved!!!

Now my WGDC is around 67% ish, and my car doesn’t even rattle anymore (not nearly as much.)

So my conclusion is likely that i needed that updated MHD tune vs my stock tune from whenever. Also i didn’t drive the car after i put the dialectric grease on my solenoid plugs until after i retuned however i do believe the tune is what changed the game for me.

So if your hunting down 30FF and ruled out every possible option. TRY a stock MHD tune and it may solve your problems!
Are you on stage 0?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Are you on stage 0?
Yes and before that i was just on whatever stock tune i had from BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Are you on stage 0?
Yes and before that i was just on whatever stock tune i had from BMW
The stock tune has a built in wastegate close feature. Stage 1 & 2 do not. You'd have to select them at option in the menu for the wastegates to continue to behave like they are. FYI...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The stock tune has a built in wastegate close feature. Stage 1 & 2 do not. You'd have to select them at option in the menu for the wastegates to continue to behave like they are. FYI...
Are you talking about the rattle fix?

Bc i didn’t select that option
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Are you talking about the rattle fix?

Bc i didn’t select that option
You don't have too on stage 0
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s great to know the rattle fix is a very nice feature. I imagined they open them more than normal.

However the main point i was making is that my wastegates close when they should now. Not sure if it’s the tune or dialectic grease on the solenoids i used. But the car boosts like it should now. Before it was like one wastegate wasn’t shutting on time b
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That’s great to know the rattle fix is a very nice feature. I imagined they open them more than normal.

However the main point i was making is that my wastegates close when they should now. Not sure if it’s the tune or dialectic grease on the solenoids i used. But the car boosts like it should now. Before it was like one wastegate wasn’t shutting on time b
If your wastegates are that far gone in which the two, no. 8 washer trick on the front turbo & turning the wastegate screw 2 1/2x on the rear doesn't get rid of the rattle, then I think I'd start saving for new turbos.

Not trying to lecture you in anyway, shape, or form

The software fix will only last so long.

Just me.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If your wastegates are that far gone in which the two, no. 8 washer trick on the front turbo & turning the wastegate screw 2 1/2x on the rear doesn't get rid of the rattle, then I think I'd start saving for new turbos.

Not trying to lecture you in anyway, shape, or form

The software fix will only last so long.

Just me.

Yea i am. I think it’s not a software fix though. Software fix to make them not rattle sure. But to actuate the wastegates properly is the biggest moral of the story. Before car was telling WGs to close and they were not listening regardless of rattle or not. Now they are.
Appreciate 0