E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Transmission issue

01-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #23
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Thanks, yes thru my research I've seen E clutch as the #1 suspect for 5th gear issues. It is also apparently the smallest clutch. I find it odd thou how when it detects it is missing 5th, it will usually slam it back into 4th, no problem. And once in 5th, it can hold the gear as well. I would think if the E friction material was all gone, it would fail differently, and I would have seen something in the oil analyses I sent in.

Besides replacing the tranny, I suppose I have 2 remaining possible fixes: rebuild the valve body in case it's a ball valve, or dig into the gear train. Ugh.
What about putting in new shift solenoids? Worth a try...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #24
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
My code is referencing Clutch B. Can your theory still be applied?

If it is pressure related I’m assuming then it’s solenoids, correct?
It's possible you have multiple issues as well. Hard to diagnose this completely over the internet.

Are you able to pull your adaptation values using xHP?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #25
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt View Post
It's possible you have multiple issues as well. Hard to diagnose this completely over the internet.

Are you able to pull your adaptation values using xHP?
Unfortunately no access to xHP. I will go by a different shop today to see if their GT1 scanner can see anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #26
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Unfortunately no access to xHP. I will go by a different shop today to see if their GT1 scanner can see anything.
If you can download the xHP phone app (it's free) it will let you scan for codes and read adaptation values (for free). You just need the cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #27
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyt View Post
Why would you replace the trans? They're not difficult to service.

Get some PD clutches and bushings at a minimum.

I'll be posting up a guide soon enough, but there are plenty of vids on youtube on tearing down 6hps. Messy, but not very difficult if intact.
There's a couple good reasons I would replace the tranny. It's a daily driver, so if I screw it up, I can't get to work on Monday. Also, who knows what I'll find when I get inside. And I can't wait for parts; I have to have everything on hand ahead of time or able to be had locally. With a used tranny swap, worst case the used tranny doesn't work for some reason. And so I can swap back in my untouched, intact, mostly-functioning original tranny.
A guide would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
What about putting in new shift solenoids? Worth a try...
Thanks, but I already mentioned that I already did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
subscribed. I sometimes have this exact issue. Just replaced solenoids and didn't fix it (already done a couple fluid changes with pan/filter, mechatronics sleeve and 4 seals). Shifts fine in manual mode, and in auto mode with very light or heavy throttle. It's only when it tries to do a "soft" shift that it can't grab 5th gear and the RPMs flair up.
I've basically just been driving around in either manual mode, or timing a momentary release of the accelerator when the auto mode changes into 5th. And either of those two driving styles means I can keep driving to work and pretend like nothing is wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #28
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Update from ZF Service Desk:

"I would recommend checking fluid level and quality. If fluid is burnt and/or low you may have hard part failures internally. If fluid level is correct and clean, the solenoids may be failing."

2020 is starting off great, now I'm also getting a thermostat code and engine fan keeps turning on and off.

Just to summarize:
Low pressure fuel sensor code
Transmission clutch B code
Thermostat code
DMTL codes
DSC codes

FML
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #29
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

Get the zip kit and rebuild the valvebody. Replace the solenoid. Replace the water pump / thermostat.

Quote:
Update from ZF Service Desk:

"I would recommend checking fluid level and quality. If fluid is burnt and/or low you may have hard part failures internally. If fluid level is correct and clean, the solenoids may be failing."

2020 is starting off great, now I'm also getting a thermostat code and engine fan keeps turning on and off.

Just to summarize:
Low pressure fuel sensor code
Transmission clutch B code
Thermostat code
DMTL codes
DSC codes

FML
Appreciate 0