E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Coding

10-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Coding

I had a bunch of options coded to my car years ago, and recently they were wiped out by a system flash.

I can live without a lot of them (mph on dash), but losing the ability to close the windows/roof with the fob is killing me.

Anyone know a place I can get my coding redone?

Weird thing is i think my passenger seat chime is still silent, and my phone bluetooth connection code still work.

'08 e92 xdrive

AA
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
Blaze439
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30 Track Car 335XI Daily

Get the Bimmergeeks app! You can do everything with it including service resets. It's also not VIN locked so you can use it on friends cars or other people and recoup some funds!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I have that app if you want to save some cash.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I had a bunch of options coded to my car years ago, and recently they were wiped out by a system flash.

I can live without a lot of them (mph on dash), but losing the ability to close the windows/roof with the fob is killing me.

Anyone know a place I can get my coding redone?

Weird thing is i think my passenger seat chime is still silent, and my phone bluetooth connection code still work.

'08 e92 xdrive

AA
If need be, we can take care of it remotely for you.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3779.00
      11-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze439 View Post
Get the Bimmergeeks app! You can do everything with it including service resets. It's also not VIN locked so you can use it on friends cars or other people and recoup some funds!
Does the Bimmergeeks "ProTool" app make things pretty easy to code (like check boxes for coding certain features and options on/off), or do you have to do all the coding in hexidecimal like you do with INSTA?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Does the Bimmergeeks "ProTool" app make things pretty easy to code (like check boxes for coding certain features and options on/off), or do you have to do all the coding in hexidecimal like you do with INSTA?
Check things off. Pretty easy. I am sure there is examples on their website or youtube.

You still need to know what you want to code. Like the description is not code this out to turn off Ediff.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Lightingpro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Garage List
2011 BMW/328xi  [0.00]
Warwick, RI - Looking for someone to Register and Code New Battery

New member here.

Someone suggested I post on the regional portion of this site.
Looking to replace OEM battery and coordinate with somebody to Register and Code it.

Dealer tried to rape me when I need to replace front and rear struts..
Quoted me $4680 and decided to do it myself and saved a ton. Never going to BMW dealer again.

Matching a battery spec is easy enough. Would rather slip a few bucks to someone who might do this on the side, that has the software and knows how to use it. i.e Carly, Insta/Insta-P, BimmerGeek Pro Tools...etc.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightingpro View Post
New member here.

Someone suggested I post on the regional portion of this site.
Looking to replace OEM battery and coordinate with somebody to Register and Code it.

Dealer tried to rape me when I need to replace front and rear struts..
Quoted me $4680 and decided to do it myself and saved a ton. Never going to BMW dealer again.

Matching a battery spec is easy enough. Would rather slip a few bucks to someone who might do this on the side, that has the software and knows how to use it. i.e Carly, Insta/Insta-P, BimmerGeek Pro Tools...etc.

I have carly and bimmergeeks app on my phone. So I can do it, while I never have, it has to be dead simple. Where you at? Install the battery and then have it coded. You can download all the software and there is step by step instructions and videos to DIY.

Last edited by Torgus; 12-15-2019 at 06:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Lightingpro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Garage List
2011 BMW/328xi  [0.00]
Warwick, RI - Looking for someone to Register and Code New Battery

Hi Torqus,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a battery to match the exact OEM spec. (I didn't bother checking the BMW Dealer). Based on what I've researched, I don't believe either Carly or the BimmerGeeks app can do ALL coding changes required when the replacement battery is not an exact match specification wise. Having both, you likely know better than I what coding variables can, and cannot be modified.

Can either software change the battery type (flooded lead acid vs. Absorbed Glass Mat - AGM)?

If I stay with a lead acid (with different specs), can the VO value associated with the Alternator output (new battery vs. old battery) be changed?

CA value? (Cranking Amps)

Unsure if the CR or CCA values comes into play from a coding perspective.
From what I've read, both software packages have coding limitations when the new battery does not match.

I live in Warwick, RI

I downloaded the ISAT/D and ISAT/P from a torrent, but with it came a virus .exe that luckily was quarantined by my anti-virus software, so they remain unzipped in my download folder until I find one of my long, unused laptops (that I hope has a com port). If so, I'll pick up a D CAN cable and attempt a DIY.

Of course, if you can, in fact do all of the coding changes required with a new battery that does not match the old spec, I'm certainly open to it. I just have doubts based on what I've read about both software packages..

but you know what they say,.."a man with a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightingpro View Post
Hi Torqus,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a battery to match the exact OEM spec. (I didn't bother checking the BMW Dealer). Based on what I've researched, I don't believe either Carly or the BimmerGeeks app can do ALL coding changes required when the replacement battery is not an exact match specification wise. Having both, you likely know better than I what coding variables can, and cannot be modified.

Can either software change the battery type (flooded lead acid vs. Absorbed Glass Mat - AGM)?

If I stay with a lead acid (with different specs), can the VO value associated with the Alternator output (new battery vs. old battery) be changed?

CA value? (Cranking Amps)

Unsure if the CR or CCA values comes into play from a coding perspective.
From what I've read, both software packages have coding limitations when the new battery does not match.

I live in Warwick, RI

I downloaded the ISAT/D and ISAT/P from a torrent, but with it came a virus .exe that luckily was quarantined by my anti-virus software, so they remain unzipped in my download folder until I find one of my long, unused laptops (that I hope has a com port). If so, I'll pick up a D CAN cable and attempt a DIY.

Of course, if you can, in fact do all of the coding changes required with a new battery that does not match the old spec, I'm certainly open to it. I just have doubts based on what I've read about both software packages..

but you know what they say,.."a man with a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
The answer is yes, you can change from SLA to AGM. AGM is not worth the cost. Just get a simple SLA save yourself some money. You can also change the size etc. Just make sure the battery physically fits.

Watch:

3/4 of the way through you can see him code the battery. Honestly for how far away you are find a person or a shop closer. I don't mind doing it for you but it's not complicated super simple as the video shows.

They also do remote coding: https://www.bimmergeeks.net/remote-coding

You can download all the software to DIY or have them remote code it here: https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

Maybe look on a RI bmw Facebook group and find someone more local who can code it in for you? I am an hour and a half away from you. Save yourself the 3+ hours of your life is my vote.

Or download the app for 160 and you can code away. It is not vin locked. Charge people 25 bucks, code 6 batteries it pays for itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
How's that work? If it's cheaper than the Bimmergeeks tool, I'd consider it.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 01-13-2020 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #12
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
How's that work? If it's cheaper than the Bimmergeeks tool, I'd consider it.
Yes, we are cheaper than the BimmerGeeks Pro Tool.
Appreciate 0