E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Mercedes AMG G63: Excessive or excellent?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-01-2024, 06:04 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
172
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Question Mercedes AMG G63: Excessive or excellent?

Hi all,

What do you all think of the Mercedes AMG G63? I thought it was ridiculous, expensive, wasteful and boastful...and then I drove one. It turns out the G63 is also astonishingly fun! (And I have another reason to hate myself.)

Mostly, it comes down to the fact that the V8 in this truck is a barrel of monkeys and makes the big box fly! I have the same V8 in my AMG GT, but it sounds so much better in the G63. I have no idea why!

The G63 is comfortable, easy to see out of, and has a refined ride and drivetrain. The amenities are high quality, if old-school; thereís very little in-your-face tech in this Mercedes.

Iím too wound up in the G63ís King-of-LA image to buy one myself (not that I can afford it), but it was a real meet-your-enemies moment when I drove the G63 I despised and discovered I love its on-road attitude. My full highly-conflicted write-up of the G63 drive is here.

Cheers and Happy New Years!
Mike


__________________
Appreciate 3
chassis6700.50
jesm207.50
      01-01-2024, 06:14 PM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
c1pher's Avatar
United_States
4703
Rep
4,044
Posts

Drives: All of them
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I never liked it’s looks enough to even consider it.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 06:25 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
P1's Avatar
11593
Rep
11,147
Posts

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

I don't mind them one bit. Perfect mommy mobile.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 07:32 PM   #4
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
1942
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

I loved it when I drive one. Sounds great in stock form, probably because of the side exhaust being closer to the driver than the other cars with same engine. Would love to have a 2019+ one when they hit $100k. $140k+ is still pretty steep.
Appreciate 2
chassis6700.50
      01-01-2024, 07:33 PM   #5
414bhp
First Lieutenant
172
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I never liked itís looks enough to even consider it.
Personally, I appreciate that the G wagon looks like nothing else in the Benz lineup. Even if the styling is pretty square.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 07:34 PM   #6
414bhp
First Lieutenant
172
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
I loved it when I drive one. Sounds great in stock form, probably because of the side exhaust being closer to the driver than the other cars with same engine. Would love to have a 2019+ one when they hit $100k. $140k+ is still pretty steep.
I think the new generation G63 is $200k and up!
__________________
Appreciate 1
jesm207.50
      01-01-2024, 07:53 PM   #7
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
1942
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
I think the new generation G63 is $200k and up!
New ones around $200k. Used around $130k for higher mileage. $100k for 30-40k miles is the sweet spot. Maybe in another year or two.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 09:05 PM   #8
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Murf the Surf's Avatar
19288
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Hi all,

What do you all think of the Mercedes AMG G63? I thought it was ridiculous, expensive, wasteful and boastful...and then I drove one. It turns out the G63 is also astonishingly fun! (And I have another reason to hate myself.)

Mostly, it comes down to the fact that the V8 in this truck is a barrel of monkeys and makes the big box fly! I have the same V8 in my AMG GT, but it sounds so much better in the G63. I have no idea why!

The G63 is comfortable, easy to see out of, and has a refined ride and drivetrain. The amenities are high quality, if old-school; thereís very little in-your-face tech in this Mercedes.

Iím too wound up in the G63ís King-of-LA image to buy one myself (not that I can afford it), but it was a real meet-your-enemies moment when I drove the G63 I despised and discovered I love its on-road attitude. My full highly-conflicted write-up of the G63 drive is here.

Cheers and Happy New Years!
Mike



My wife loves them, just not in the budget I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 09:10 PM   #9
FC4
Brigadier General
2765
Rep
3,448
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: May 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I’ve had a G in the garage from 07 up until last year. The older ones were kinda shit to drive and they are damn near impossible to see out of while driving at night, but still great to have. They were truly built like tanks.

The new ones are better is every way. My wife daily’d the G63 for two years and enjoyed it…until we moved to LA. It’s hard to describe how common they are here without sounding like an exaggeration, but they’re absolutely everywhere. Took the joy out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 09:30 PM   #10
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
Bumpinjeep's Avatar
United_States
5670
Rep
2,331
Posts

Drives: 2023 M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
When i first started dating my wife, she started to notice cars more because of my hobby, she sees this white G63 and goes "ooh, that one looks like a jewelry box." That's when I knew I had to persue these promotions lol.
__________________
Present: 2023 M2 BSM W/Carbon everything, 6 Speed
Past:2020 M2C HS Executive, 6 Speed
Appreciate 3
      01-01-2024, 09:55 PM   #11
Tejas1836
Captain
Tejas1836's Avatar
1002
Rep
832
Posts

Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Tejas

iTrader: (0)

Nip and Tuck
Attached Images
  
__________________
Two is One and One is None
Appreciate 4
      01-01-2024, 11:08 PM   #12
414bhp
First Lieutenant
172
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Iíve had a G in the garage from 07 up until last year. The older ones were kinda shit to drive and they are damn near impossible to see out of while driving at night, but still great to have. They were truly built like tanks.

The new ones are better is every way. My wife dailyíd the G63 for two years and enjoyed itÖuntil we moved to LA. Itís hard to describe how common they are here without sounding like an exaggeration, but theyíre absolutely everywhere. Took the joy out of it.
Where were you before LA?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:47 PM   #13
FC4
Brigadier General
2765
Rep
3,448
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: May 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Where were you before LA?
Palo Alto.
Appreciate 1
414bhp172.00
      01-01-2024, 11:50 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
NickyC's Avatar
17683
Rep
10,737
Posts

Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jacked out of my mind

iTrader: (23)

That's a very nice color.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 06:57 AM   #15
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
Car-Addicted's Avatar
United_States
7345
Rep
1,999
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Central PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
The Mercedes AMG G63 "G Wagon" is like the ugly dog you fall in love with. Dependable, trustworthy but still ugly.
Appreciate 1
xander_g1019.50
      01-02-2024, 01:27 PM   #16
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
1942
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
The Mercedes AMG G63 "G Wagon" is like the ugly dog you fall in love with. Dependable, trustworthy but still ugly.
I think they look great personally especially with the night package in white, China blue, or Arabian grey
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:30 PM   #17
xander_g
Major
1020
Rep
1,136
Posts

Drives: G30 M550i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I know the older ones were super capable offroaders except almost noone used them for that.

Cool to look at and drive sometimes but having lived with one for a few months, not for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:35 PM   #18
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
1942
Rep
1,793
Posts

Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
I know the older ones were super capable offroaders except almost noone used them for that.

Cool to look at and drive sometimes but having lived with one for a few months, not for me.
The newer generation is night and day vs the older gen. Both the engine and overall feel and luxury level of the car
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:50 PM   #19
xander_g
Major
1020
Rep
1,136
Posts

Drives: G30 M550i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
The newer generation is night and day vs the older gen. Both the engine and overall feel and luxury level of the car
100% agree, borrowed a friends 4x4 a couple of weeks ago, it's nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:57 PM   #20
heavyD^2
Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
3689
Rep
2,956
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Too close to Santa

iTrader: (0)

Definitely excessive as the majority of people buying these rarely leave paved roads. They are distinctive and the look will never go out of style considering it's never been in style.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 06:24 PM   #21
414bhp
First Lieutenant
172
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
Cool to look at and drive sometimes but having lived with one for a few months, not for me.
What caused you to sell yours?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 06:28 PM   #22
414bhp
First Lieutenant
172
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
They are distinctive and the look will never go out of style considering it's never been in style.
It is a timeless style. But I'd argue it's been in style in Beverley Hills for some time now!
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
amg, g wagon, g63, mercedes

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST