E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Car sat for two years

06-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
MstrRogers330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Car sat for two years

Long story short, I have a 2006 330i that has sat for two years when the starter went out not sure why I didn't tow it to a shop right away. I guess I thought I would fix it myself but work has been busy. I hate seeing it sit there day after day so I'm inclined to fix it myself. My question(s):

1) is it worthwhile to fix and presumably flush everything myself?
2) if I do this myself, what should I check, flush, replace?
3) any words of advice?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I'd check for mouse nests after sitting that long. Mouse nests + hot engine parts and oil leaks = flames

How long has it been since the fluids have been changed out? Might be worth changing them all (I wouldn't flush anything just drain and fill) in case moisture got in.

Your tires are also probably flat spotted.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17199.00
MadJoe44.50
      06-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd pull the spark plugs and put in a small amount of Marvel's Mystery oil in the cylinders and let it sit over night. Then slowly rotate the engine (trans in neutral) several times. Then button it up and start it.

Run the engine until hot and drain the oil.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
MadJoe44.50