E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oil level question

06-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Oolien
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 335xi n54

oil level question

so i just did my oil pan gasket and put the pan back on and hooked everything back up. and did an "oil change" i even sucked up all the excess oil in the filter housing. and put in a new filter and then filled it up to 6.5 litres and my level is right in the middle of min and max is that normal, is should be at max right . 08 335xi
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

How long did you wait to check the oil level? If you didn't wait long enough, it could be giving the last oil level reading stored in the CBS memory. On my N52, which I used to fill with oil in US quart increments, did not give a full "max" level with 6.5L, but will with 6.7L - 6.8L of oil. I discovered this when BMW switch to liter bottles vs. US quart sized bottles. I would fill the engine with 7 quarts of oil and always get a "max" reading once I let the CBS fully update the oil level, which takes 20 minutes of driving.

Regardless, if you are getting a reading in the middle of the e-dipstick, the oil level is safe for driving; it doesn't need to be at "max".
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

It can take up to 24hrs to get the correct reading..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
It can take up to 24hrs to get the correct reading..
Well, from BMW's training manual on the N52:

Dynamic oil level measurement begins when following values are reached: • Engine temperature > 60°C • Engine speed > 1000 rpm • Transverse and longitudinal acceleration < 4-5 m/s2

The transverse acceleration signal is supplied by the DSC. The longitudinal acceleration is calculated from the speed and time factors.

• Increase < 5% after covering a distance of app.. 200 m. The increase value is detected by the ambient pressure sensor in the DME.

On reaching this value, the oil level indicator is updated approximately 5 minutes after starting vehicle operation. The oil level is then continuously measured. The indicator is updated at 20 minute intervals. The "Check oil level" menu in connection with the dynamic oil level measurement is exited while driving (vehicle speed > 0) app.. 15 seconds after the oil level is displayed.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0