E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reverse lights

06-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Bimmer330
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2006 330i

Reverse lights

My 06 330i reverse lights are out. I do not think it’s the bulb because they aren’t old. So i was thinking maybe it’s the wiring. Does anyone think unplugging the wire and replugging it could work ? And after if it doesn’t work I should buy a new bulb or just go to a mechanic if the first idea doesn’t work ? Because I don’t think it’s the bulb
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:33 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer330 View Post
My 06 330i reverse lights are out. I do not think it’s the bulb because they aren’t old. So i was thinking maybe it’s the wiring. Does anyone think unplugging the wire and replugging it could work ? And after if it doesn’t work I should buy a new bulb or just go to a mechanic if the first idea doesn’t work ? Because I don’t think it’s the bulb
Why rule them out based on thoughts alone? Were they changed recently? Either way You'd need to physically check them to rule that they're not blown.

the contact points of the housings may also be corroded;which prevents the bulbs from having good electric connection. If this is the case and it has been over 50 engine starts of more, the frm may have shut power to that circuit and you'll need to reset them.
      07-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Check the bulbs first - it's cheap and easy. If those check out, look for corrosion on the sockets. If that's ok, it could definitely be the wiring. You can test with a multimeter, but unplugging and replugging isn't going to do anything except maybe to remove some corrosion.

BMW has had wiring problems in the e36, e39, e46, etc. and it happened on my e90 exactly as you describe. The wiring to the trunk flexes every time you open/close the trunk and eventually breaks. It might be more common in cold climates, but unclear. You can repair the individual wires, but others may break over time. I lost a parking light and almost immediately after the reverse lights. Best bet is to replace that section of harness with an aftermarket one made by Sencom, which has more flexible wiring. It can be found on ebay and a few other places. I bought one made by Metzger (also on ebay), which appears to be the same, but a bit cheaper. I haven't had a chance to install it yet.

Note that if the FRM detects a malfunction too many times, it will shut off the circuit permanently. Not sure what you have to do to fix it at that point, but you have to somehow reset the FRM through diagnostic software.

Here is a thread with more info on the e46 problem, but it's the same issue: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=511230

YouTube video on repairing individual wires:

YouTube video on harness replacement (in German, but very good):
Appreciate 1