E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Lifespan of Bilstein Shocks??

01-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
MeeTsenPu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive

Lifespan of Bilstein Shocks??

Hey everyone, been a while since I posted on here. Thats what work, marriage and a kid on the way will do to ya!

Flashback!http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364293

So got about 40k on the odometer now which means about 33k on the Eibach Bilstein combo and they have been fantastic aside from the occasional driveway scrape.

This past summer started hearing a knocking sound from the passenger side front wheel. Was under warranty so took it to dealership, they thought it was brake related so replaced pads and caliper bracket...sweet! Noise didn't go away then they said it was aftermarket suspension related. Checked all bushings and said all was good.

Once the car is warmed up the knocking begins. You can pop the hood and placing hand over strut tower and pushing down you can make it knock. Interestingly now its winter and cold the knocking stops. Im sure when it warms up it will start again.

My question here is it sounds to me like the shock has met its maker. Before I buy a replacement, could I be missing anything? Should I replace both front or just the one making noise? Is 30k typical life span for aftermarket shocks?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #2
sy2767
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5

if im not mistaken they have a lifetime warrenty to the original purchaser.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
pizza_party
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

While I don't know your definition of "knocking" that doesn't really sound like a bad shock to me. Dealers in my experience are pretty quick to blame any aftermarket parts without really doing any investigating, whether they are right or wrong.

First and foremost, make sure you don't have a loose bolt somewhere, and check your swaybar endlinks and swaybar bushings. I've had some strange bushing related noises in the past that have also been dependent on temperature, as the bushing warms up it becomes more pliable, allowing more movement and contact somewhere, which is what a knock to me says - something is making contact with something else. Check for any evidence of this (marks on swaybar, etc). Also the shock mount could be bad, but first just make sure everything is tight.

If this is above your head, bring it to an indy shop and let them try to diagnose it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
MeeTsenPu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza_party View Post
While I don't know your definition of "knocking" that doesn't really sound like a bad shock to me. Dealers in my experience are pretty quick to blame any aftermarket parts without really doing any investigating, whether they are right or wrong.

First and foremost, make sure you don't have a loose bolt somewhere, and check your swaybar endlinks and swaybar bushings. I've had some strange bushing related noises in the past that have also been dependent on temperature, as the bushing warms up it becomes more pliable, allowing more movement and contact somewhere, which is what a knock to me says - something is making contact with something else. Check for any evidence of this (marks on swaybar, etc). Also the shock mount could be bad, but first just make sure everything is tight.

If this is above your head, bring it to an indy shop and let them try to diagnose it.
Thanks for the feedback, that was my original thought as well when the brake diagnosis proved to be wrong. This is why I wanted to post on here to see if anyone else had any ideas. The dealership did say they checked all my bushings and torque specs on all connections and found no discrepancies leaving them to the shocks. Or they could have done nothing and just told me a line of BS because I just got new brakes under warranty...lol

Closest reputable indy shop to me is a couple hour drive, that coupled with it not doing it when its cold I figured I'd do my research now and make a move in the spring before I swap to my summer wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
pizza_party
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

I had another thought on this. Make sure that the nuts for your strut brace and struts are tight. I wanna say correct torque is 25lb ft
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Realistically, they're good for 50k tops.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
MeeTsenPu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
Realistically, they're good for 50k tops.
That was my thought as well which would make 30k premature. Once the Icebox here in the NE lets up a little Ill start checking things out based on everyone's suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
MeeTsenPu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So maybe spoke to soon, still cold out but now I can hear the same knocking at slow speeds. Still doesn't happen immediately but its happening. Does this changes anyone's thoughts on what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Marky70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Xi and 2010 X3

Try tightening the top nut on your struts. Mine were not completely tightened and had knock. Tightened all gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Unbolt your sway end links and see if knocking a still there quick and easy
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

bilstein has lifetime warranty for a reason. i use to blow them all the time on my e46. just contact the place you got them and they handle the exchange. i got really good a replacing rear shocks because of this.