E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Easiest method to block off oil cooler

12-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Easiest method to block off oil cooler

I want to block off my oil cooler as my temps go down on the highway to 90c when cruisin in the winter cold and overall takes so much time to warm up when it's -20c

Is the oil cooler accessible to slide a piece of cardboard from the bay or will I have to remove the bumper?

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 12-17-2018 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

You access it from the passenger side fender liner. Just turn the steering wheel full-lock to the left and undo a couple of bolts. It'd be easier if you put it on jackstands and took the wheel off, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
tan_rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Install a thermostat inline from oil cooler to oil filter housing unit. And I wouldn't recommend blocking airflow to the oil cooler, doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
I'm pretty sure the oil cooler has a thermostat in the oil filter housing. Blocking off the cooler shouldn't make it come up to temp faster...but it will screw up the cooling when it gets up to temp...bad idea...

Perhaps your thermostat isn't working properly??? 90C is still over 190 F...from what i've read over 180 F is supposed to be suitable for normal operation...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
I'm pretty sure the oil cooler has a thermostat in the oil filter housing. Blocking off the cooler shouldn't make it come up to temp faster...but it will screw up the cooling when it gets up to temp...bad idea...

Perhaps your thermostat isn't working properly??? 90C is still over 190 F...from what i've read over 180 F is supposed to be suitable for normal operation...
I'm a little confused too on what the OP is hoping to do. Part of his post sounds like he's trying to block off the oil cooler vents so that it doesn't cool down even more at highway speeds (more airflow = more cooling). The other part of his post sounds like he just wants his car to warm up quicker after a startup during the colder months.

The latter I'm not sure what can be done. The purpose of a thermostat is to only open up when temperatures reach a certain point. The fact that the car is too cold isn't going to be changed by messing with the thermostat. The car is TOO cold for the thermostat to open up.

You kinda have the exact opposite problem that most N54 owners have, usually we're trying to get out cars to run cooler. If you want to run cooler they make thermostats/oil cooler valves for that which open up at a lower temp, effectively reducing your engine temps.

http://www.burgertuning.com/sport_oil_cooler_valve.html

Sounds like you would want the exact opposite of this. I'm not sure if such a thing exists though but if I were trying to keep my car warm in the winter this is what I would look into. Again though, if your car is cold, then your car is cold. Changing the oil cooler valve would only have an effect on the temperature at which the vehicle operates once it's up to temp.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
tan_rich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:

Yes the OEM oil cooler already has an OEM thermostat inside if it. It's common to remove it or flip it and install an aftermarket plate and thermostat to an aftermarket oil cooler(setrab).
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
I'm a little confused too on what the OP is hoping to do. Part of his post sounds like he's trying to block off the oil cooler vents so that it doesn't cool down even more at highway speeds (more airflow = more cooling). The other part of his post sounds like he just wants his car to warm up quicker after a startup during the colder months.

The latter I'm not sure what can be done. The purpose of a thermostat is to only open up when temperatures reach a certain point. The fact that the car is too cold isn't going to be changed by messing with the thermostat. The car is TOO cold for the thermostat to open up.

You kinda have the exact opposite problem that most N54 owners have, usually we're trying to get out cars to run cooler. If you want to run cooler they make thermostats/oil cooler valves for that which open up at a lower temp, effectively reducing your engine temps.

http://www.burgertuning.com/sport_oil_cooler_valve.html

Sounds like you would want the exact opposite of this. I'm not sure if such a thing exists though but if I were trying to keep my car warm in the winter this is what I would look into. Again though, if your car is cold, then your car is cold. Changing the oil cooler valve would only have an effect on the temperature at which the vehicle operates once it's up to temp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_rich View Post
Yes the OEM oil cooler already has an OEM thermostat inside if it. It's common to remove it or flip it and install an aftermarket plate and thermostat to an aftermarket oil cooler(setrab).

My thing is that the oil barely and takes long time to hit 100c (owners manual official operating temperature) and if I go on the highway my temps lowers to 90c. Mainly just want to temp to not fluctuate as much as apparently it's not really good.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
My thing is that the oil barely and takes long time to hit 100c (owners manual official operating temperature) and if I go on the highway my temps lowers to 90c. Mainly just want to temp to not fluctuate as much as apparently it's not really good.
100 vs 90 isn't a big fluctuation if ambient temperature is low. Just drive your car.
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i wouldn't block the oil cooler...maybe you can look into getting a aftermarket engine block heater.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #10
BM3Rrrr
Davy Jones, Giant Squid
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a Pirate Ship

Couple of things you can do to keep your engine warm.

1. keep the revs above 4k rpm at all times
2. empty out half your oil and drive around this way (engine will be hotter from less lubrication)
3. take some of the cardboard you use to block the oil cooler off and shove it down where the oil cooler valve goes, effectively blocking it.

Should solve you temperature issues.
      12-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #11
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

I wonder if you could find a handful of fittings to make an "oil cooler bypass" where you basically block off the oil cooler and either remove the lines + cooler entirely for the winter or find some additional fittings to "seal" the oil cooler lines to that they don't drip oil.

Or find a way to put a non-oil cooler oil filter housing on the car. There are plenty of N54s without oil coolers that you could use as a reference for figuring this out. Maybe use RealOEM to see a parts diagram
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post

2. empty out half your oil and drive around this way (engine will be hotter from less lubrication)
3. take some of the cardboard you use to block the oil cooler off and shove it down where the oil cooler valve goes, effectively blocking it.

Thanks for this...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Okay I guess I'll leave it be. I just don't like that it goes down out of "official" operating temp. When it's out of it I really don't like to go past a certain RPM and it's not to fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Lmao you worry about stuff like that way too much. 90 vs 100c is basically no difference for oil performance.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3Rrrr View Post

I'll add this excellent advice I've been following myself for years to great effect:
4. Turn A/C to Max, leave cabin heat off so engine can save heat for itself.
5. Wrap entire engine compartment and front end in heat wrap.
6. Run diesel instead of gas to get engine to operating temp quicker.
7. Flip your brake ducts 180* so rotor heat vents to front where oil cooler is located.

Can't forget the best one:
8. Change out oil for antifreeze.

Last edited by MysticRob; 12-18-2018 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
\90C is still over 190 F...from what i've read over 180 F is supposed to be suitable for normal operation...
I was just following the owner's manual instruction.

If everyone says it's fine to drive a bit more aggressive past 180f I suppose it's a win then and my issue isn't really much of an issue.
Appreciate 0