E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #331
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

ONR Question:

At what dilution rate will ONR begin to strip sealants and wax?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #332
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
ONR Question:

At what dilution rate will ONR begin to strip sealants and wax?

Thanks!!
Unless I'm mistaken, it shouldn't strip sealant/wax at any dilution rate. If you're using it as lubricant for a clay bar, then the clay will obviously remove sealant/wax, but ONR by itself shouldn't act as a stripping agent.
      03-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #333
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, it shouldn't strip sealant/wax at any dilution rate. If you're using it as lubricant for a clay bar, then the clay will obviously remove sealant/wax, but ONR by itself shouldn't act as a stripping agent.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #334
jasonlu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW335i

hi, i have a queston. what kind of wax do i need to put on my AW 2009 e92 335i? can anyone give me some choices? where can i get it? thank you!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #335
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlu View Post
hi, i have a queston. what kind of wax do i need to put on my AW 2009 e92 335i? can anyone give me some choices? where can i get it? thank you!!!!
I would suggest you search this forum, there's a wealth of info here.

I primarily purchase stuff from Detailed Image, here's a link to their wax section. Another good source is Autogeek.net, here's the wax section. Both of these sites have a wealth of how-to and product information.

I use a variety of different products on different vehicles. For my Bimmer I've followed the advice found in this thread and used the Klasse All In One (AIO) and Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) combo. I'm very pleased with the results.

If you want forego the polish/sealant process and are okay with using wax only, I would recommend Poorboy's World Natty's Red, or P21S Concours Carnuba Wax. The P21S is superior in my opinion.

Good luck.
      04-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #336
jasonlu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
I would suggest you search this forum, there's a wealth of info here.

I primarily purchase stuff from Detailed Image, here's a link to their wax section. Another good source is Autogeek.net, here's the wax section. Both of these sites have a wealth of how-to and product information.

I use a variety of different products on different vehicles. For my Bimmer I've followed the advice found in this thread and used the Klasse All In One (AIO) and Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) combo. I'm very pleased with the results.

If you want forego the polish/sealant process and are okay with using wax only, I would recommend Poorboy's World Natty's Red, or P21S Concours Carnuba Wax. The P21S is superior in my opinion.

Good luck.
thank you, man. I am new here。just read this thread today. doesnt know which applicater do i need to use to apply sealent. it is also the same applicator used to apply wax?? thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #337
RichMattB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M3, e70 X5 4.8i

Just wanted to say thanks to DavidN for this thread. I've been using this advice for almost 3 years now and it has saved me a fortune in detailing fees and has actually become fun!

Thanks again - happy detailing.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #338
white335ispider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M tech E92

wow! I am used to just washing my car and using the Eagle as-you-dry wax for my old car. I thought that was more than enough but I guess I was wrong :/
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #339
dmist199
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 E46 M3, 16 X5

this is an amazing write up!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #340
TMartin
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Excellent info here, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #341
99three
Banned
Rep
Drives: 993, e92, e36, F355, Z32, Jag

Great write up!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #342
IlliniDave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i SGM/PP/SP/Nav

Collinite 845 works well on white cars, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #343
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlu View Post
thank you, man. I am new here。just read this thread today. doesnt know which applicater do i need to use to apply sealent. it is also the same applicator used to apply wax?? thank you
For applying the wax and sealant, you don't want to cross contaminate pads. You really only want to use one product per pad. I would suggest one color applicator pad like this for wax and a different color like this for sealant. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #344
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMattB View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to DavidN for this thread. I've been using this advice for almost 3 years now and it has saved me a fortune in detailing fees and has actually become fun!

Thanks again - happy detailing.
You're very welcome! Glad you have found the thread helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #345
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

This comes from Greg at Detailed Image, a list of pads and applications:

Surbuf R Series - Heavy Cutting Polishes
Yellow and Purple Foam - Medium to Heavy Cutting Polishes
Orange and Cyan - Medium Cutting Polishes
Green - Light Cutting Polishes
White and Tangerine - Polishing Pad for Light Polishes, AIO
Black and Crimson - Fine Polishing Pad for Glazes, Sealants and Liquid Waxes
Blue - Ultra Fine Polishing Pad for Liquid Waxes and Sealants
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #346
jaadoogar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport, 6MT

Hi.. DavidN! I just read this *amazing* write up, from start to finish! Wow.

I just received my 3er after European Delivery and want to begin some basic washing / detailing. Below is a shopping list. Do you mind looking this over before I purchase? (Btw, my car is Black Sapphire metallic.)

Is it okay if I do just a basic wash now, then wax/sealant in the spring?

Supplies:

-Two buckets, nozzle gun with mist, terry towels for door jambs - Yep, this was the easy part!

-Car wash soap - Mother's california gold vs. Meguiar's
-- You wrote in your initial post that you recommend Mother's but have since said Meguiar's several times. Has your preference changed since 2006? or do you recommend Mother's only if the car is non-Zaino'ed?

-Sponge
-- is this different from the sheepskin mitt? What kind of sponge do you recommend?

-Wash Mitt
I can't find the Simoniz sheepskin mitt... Is lambswool the same as sheepskin? (I know it sounds like a silly question.)
http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Genuin...=1UWNTED93T2C0

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...n+mitt&x=0&y=0

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce...ash-Mitt-P120/

-Tire Brush - I assume I should use this only for tires? And the mitt for wheels?
http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-156000...7007942&sr=1-1

-Waffle Weave MF towels
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

Thanks again for this fantastic post! Without it, I probably would have only gone to touchless car washes and never washed the car myself!
2011 BMW E90 335xi | Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | M-Sport | 6MT | European Delivery 5.24.11 E9x Picture Game: 29 points (Grandfather Clock, Natural Disaster, Anti Environment, Minivan Taxi, NFL Stadium Opening Day, Six Banana M, Campaign Sign, Steam Locomotive... EV Charging Station, Extreme Car Sizes, Birthday, Bridal Shop, Boardwalk, Car Insurance, Adjacent Handicap, Gloves, Fast Expensive)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #347
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadoogar View Post
Hi.. DavidN! I just read this *amazing* write up, from start to finish! Wow.

I just received my 3er after European Delivery and want to begin some basic washing / detailing. Below is a shopping list. Do you mind looking this over before I purchase? (Btw, my car is Black Sapphire metallic.)

Is it okay if I do just a basic wash now, then wax/sealant in the spring?

Supplies:

-Two buckets, nozzle gun with mist, terry towels for door jambs - Yep, this was the easy part!

Agreed!

-Car wash soap - Mother's california gold vs. Meguiar's
-- You wrote in your initial post that you recommend Mother's but have since said Meguiar's several times. Has your preference changed since 2006? or do you recommend Mother's only if the car is non-Zaino'ed?

Both are excellent washes. In Canada I can't get the Mothers in big bottles but I can get Meguiars Gold Class so I go with that (that's the frugal side of me!).

-Sponge
-- is this different from the sheepskin mitt? What kind of sponge do you recommend?

I should update the 101. I used to use the big car wash sponges on my wheels and wheel wells, however I now use a dedicated sheepskin wash mitt for those areas, especially on alloy wheels, as the sheepskin is gentler.

-Wash Mitt
I can't find the Simoniz sheepskin mitt... Is lambswool the same as sheepskin? (I know it sounds like a silly question.)
http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Genuin...=1UWNTED93T2C0

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...n+mitt&x=0&y=0

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Acce...ash-Mitt-P120/

Surprised you can't find the Simoniz mitt (assume you are in Canada). The mothers mitt you linked looks very nice. Go with that if you can find it. And yup, sheepskin/lambswool, same thing.

-Tire Brush - I assume I should use this only for tires? And the mitt for wheels?
http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-156000...7007942&sr=1-1

That is correct. Tire brush only on tire side walls and use a nice dedicated sheepskin mitt on your rims.

-Waffle Weave MF towels
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

Thanks again for this fantastic post! Without it, I probably would have only gone to touchless car washes and never washed the car myself!

My pleasure. Always happy to help.
Answered above within the quote.

Glad you liked the post. Always happy to help!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #348
peepayy_91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Got my first bimmer a couple months ago! And this write up I must say is awesome and how I will from now on wash/detail my 3.

Quick question: my 325 is jet black and has some minor swirls , would I need both the harsh polish as well as the finer one in order to properly remove them? And for jb, what would you recommend as the best polish and synthetic sealant/wax to make sure the paint comes out looking like glass?

Thanks in advance!

*2 thumbs up for your post*
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #349
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdorn View Post
I am ordering the stuff to start doing this myself, and I am a little confused. I ordered the ZKit #1 from Zaino with all the products you mentioned above. Now I am at www.pakshak.com trying to order the rest of the supplies I need. I selected the waffle weave MF towel. I was trying to order the Porter Cable 7336, but I don't know what to get with it. Do I need to order backing plates and pads? Which ones should I order? Which sizes? How many should I get?

I have absolutely no supplies whatsoever, and I want to order everything so that when it comes I can get started. What else do I need besides what I just ordered from Zaino? What other towels, mits, etc. do I need to add to my basket at pakshak.com? I don't see those Viking wash mitt there, but they have some other brand of sheepskin mitt. I looked around Wal-Mart the other day and their selection was pretty weak so I want to just order it all online if I can.
I didn't view their whole website, but I just browsed the homepage and saw more than a couple products on there that are priced high. You should visit http://www.detailedimage.com before making your purchase just to compare prices.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #350
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepayy_91 View Post
Got my first bimmer a couple months ago! And this write up I must say is awesome and how I will from now on wash/detail my 3.

Quick question: my 325 is jet black and has some minor swirls , would I need both the harsh polish as well as the finer one in order to properly remove them? And for jb, what would you recommend as the best polish and synthetic sealant/wax to make sure the paint comes out looking like glass?

Thanks in advance!

*2 thumbs up for your post*
Glad you like the write-up.

In terms of your swirls, the rule is to always start with the least aggressive polish/pad combination and then move up. If the swirls look more like holograms than actual "defined" lines in the paint then the mild polish should be fine.

In terms of which polishes, I like the Menzerna Intensive Polish for medium to heavy swirls. Zaino ZPC is great for mild swirls. For sealant, Zaino AIO topped with Zaino Z2 will look great on JB.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #351
peepayy_91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My 3 will thank you after the next detail session. Thanks for the extra info. I'll add some pics when i put all this info into motion
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #352
jaadoogar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport, 6MT

Wow... thanks so much DavidN! I think I'm going to order the Mothers California Gold Car Wash and Mothers tire brush from Amazon (I'm in the U.S.) and the towels / mitts from Detailed Image.

One quick question on drying... For drying the paint, I am going to get the Detailed Image Waffle Weave MF towels. But what type of towels do you use to dry the rims and glass?

Detailed Image has
1. UltraPlush MF towels (2 sided, 16 x 16)
2. All Purpose MF towels (16 x 16) - Is this better than using terry towels on rims?

Also, what do you use to wipe down the interior?
2011 BMW E90 335xi | Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | M-Sport | 6MT | European Delivery 5.24.11 E9x Picture Game: 29 points (Grandfather Clock, Natural Disaster, Anti Environment, Minivan Taxi, NFL Stadium Opening Day, Six Banana M, Campaign Sign, Steam Locomotive... EV Charging Station, Extreme Car Sizes, Birthday, Bridal Shop, Boardwalk, Car Insurance, Adjacent Handicap, Gloves, Fast Expensive)

Last edited by jaadoogar; 09-27-2011 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0