E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New Vehicle Should I replace / repair all this?

05-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
spencercnorton
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

New Vehicle Should I replace / repair all this?

Hello all! this is my first post, I apologize if I make any mistakes. this is also my first time owning a BMW!

I've recently come into possession of an amazingly great quality 2009 E90 N54 with 56,000K miles. single owner, took it to the dealership at regular intervals, I have a full service record.

because of the low annual mileage on this vehicle, a lot of fluids haven't been changed in a long time. I'm going to change the following items:

- Power steering fluid / filter (never changed before)
- Coolant (last changed 23K miles ago / 5 years ago)
- Oil / filter ( 1K miles from scheduled change)
- Spark plugs ( last changed 23K miles ago / 5 years ago)
- air / cabin filter (last changed 23K miles ago / 5 years ago)
- Transmission fluid and filter (never changed)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Now where I need advice is on the following issues.

- The vehicle definitely has a leak on either the Oil filter housing gasket and / or the oil cooler gasket. this has occurred sometime in the last 3,000 miles. there is significant dried gunk below the unit and oil residue on the top of the unit, which also sprays onto the underside of the hood (little dots). since I am changing all these fluids, I might as well change both.

Questions:

1) in this process, I am given to understand that I should also change the intake gaskets as well?

2) given the level of grime around this area, should I go ahead and change the serpentine belt to avoid potential issues?

3) if I am going to go through all this effort, should I replace any pulleys while I'm at it?

last piece of information, I am planning to have the engine walnut blasted next month.

Thank you so much for everyone who contributes on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
tony55343
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6mt

Responses added after your questions -

Now where I need advice is on the following issues.

- The vehicle definitely has a leak on either the Oil filter housing gasket and / or the oil cooler gasket. this has occurred sometime in the last 3,000 miles. there is significant dried gunk below the unit and oil residue on the top of the unit, which also sprays onto the underside of the hood (little dots). since I am changing all these fluids, I might as well change both.

Questions:

1) in this process, I am given to understand that I should also change the intake gaskets as well?

--- You may as well change the gaskets when you do it, it is not necessarily "required" but they are inexpensive , and it makes sense to do .

2) given the level of grime around this area, should I go ahead and change the serpentine belt to avoid potential issues?

---- Yes , change the belt, the tensioner, and two idler pulleys . If that belt slips/breaks it can go through the front crank seal, you don't want that.

3) if I am going to go through all this effort, should I replace any pulleys while I'm at it?

---- see above

last piece of information, I am planning to have the engine walnut blasted next month.

--- perfect, it is well worth it , and than you will know when to do it next !

ONE LAST POINT! I would highly recommend ordering important (preventative maintenance/wear parts) from FCP Euro due to their lifetime warranty on LITERALLY ANYTHING they sell, including oil changes!!

Thank you so much for everyone who contributes on this forum.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0