E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Latest Eonon GA7165 review just out

06-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #23
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

The installation of the HVAC in that video isn't done properly - it protrudes way more than mine. He needs to trim down the sides a bit more and remove the metal clips.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #24
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
The installation of the HVAC in that video isn't done properly - it protrudes way more than mine. He needs to trim down the sides a bit more and remove the metal clips.
I just seen that video and the HVAC unit sticks out too much

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 02:42 AM   #25
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

My expirience with this unit is limited to 1 pc. And it id for sure not positive.

build quality is for sure not as the Alpine OEM HU
Sound quality from a CD is for sure not as the Alpine OEM HU (coded to 'hifi')
Bluetooth quality is not as sharp as the Alpine OEM HU
FM reception and RDS performance is terrible

My conclusion was to go back to the Professional Alpine HU and save for a NBT retrofit.
Somehow it is evident that the high quality and stricktly controlled production of the Alpine HU in Hungary gives a better result than the Eonon can match up to.

// Chris

Quote:
Those issues are all sorted with the firmware update and correct settings. No need to run a fuse tap to the BATT input.
Radio data is not lost.
Time is restored automatically (I think it updates itself via radio RDS which may not be available in all regions).
Sound is a huge improvement over the base unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #26
mimiandi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i

Garage List
2009 323i  [0.00]
code issue?

Curious if this may cause code issue when you take it to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #27
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The BMW diagnostic and programming tool at the dealership looks
for the original configuration of the car via the VO then run checks on
the devices that the VO says are there. If it doesn't see them it will go
no further. This is a long standing problem with there diagnostic setup
and it does not allow for bypass as far as I know. This is why there is
an article on parallel mounting the original radio to avoid this problem.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319976
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #28
epaz831
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

[QUOTE=scanspeak;21798845]Linx, just to be clear I did not make that Youtube video.
I did however install the GA7165 into my E92.

Overall I'm very happy with it.
Bluetooth for music and phone calls sounds fine to me.
The chime changes to a different tone.
I installed the iGo Map software purchased on Ebay.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the Metra unit.

Installation is pretty straight forward, just be sure to file the edges of the HVAC smooth and remove the metal clips or it won't fit too good.

Also update the player firmware if you're having issues with it retaining the time or radio.

The only thing I wish it had was Apple Carplay - hopefully there will be an app in the future.

Hey man, I was thinking of adding this unit to my E90 328i. Unfortunately, I do not have Idrive and it sucks. I do have heated seats, would I still be able to install it?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #29
ecatano79
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 4dr

Quote:
Linx, just to be clear I did not make that Youtube video.

Installation is pretty straight forward, just be sure to file the edges of the HVAC smooth and remove the metal clips or it won't fit too good.

Also update the player firmware if you're having issues with it retaining the time or radio.

The only thing I wish it had was Apple Carplay - hopefully there will be an app in the future.

How was the update to the firmware done?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 11:22 PM   #30
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

Contact Eonon and they will send you the file which you update via the micro SD port.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:07 AM   #31
19E92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i / '11 535i xDrive

Will my SIM card from Fido in Canada work with this unit? Is the unit unlocked?

Also, do I need to plug anything into the obd port to get the can bus features to work on the stereo?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 12:54 AM   #32
19E92
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 335i / '11 535i xDrive

Sorry for the double post but what is the start up time for the 7165?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #33
steel609
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

I hooked mine up this weekend. I think it fried my FRM module. I love the looks and functionality of it, but now I have a lot of other problems to sort out.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2017, 05:13 AM   #34
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel609 View Post
I hooked mine up this weekend. I think it fried my FRM module. I love the looks and functionality of it, but now I have a lot of other problems to sort out.
Well that sucks...

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #35
steel609
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
Well that sucks...
I was told by an indy shop that chances are the FRM was shot before this and by disconnecting the battery, it allowed the unit to slip into an irreversible coma. Sounds plausible to me.

Either way, I bought a used unit off ebay that matched my numbers and now it's working.

Except for the backup camera video feed being choppy one time, non existent another time and sometimes looks clear.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #36
onionsaregross
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Sedan

I have to say that I bought this stereo after watching the video in this post, and was really disappointed. After spending nearly $400 for the Eonon GA7165S and ashtray replacement (to relocate my heated seats controller), I ended up removing the Eonon unit and went back to my stock setup.

The connector cable in the back never properly attached, so my right speakers would come in and out. When starting up the car (or even switching between radio, aux, and bluetooth), I had to go into the equalizer settings and press the "balance" button for the audio to come out of all the speakers, which got very frustrating over time. The sound was markedly inferior to my OEM (Hi-Fi) stereo. The backup camera had a flickering screen, so much so that I couldn't see anything. I had to purchase a regulator relay to maintain steady voltage to the camera (after complaining, Eonon shipped me one free, but that was after I had already purchased one on Amazon). An SOS error would pop up every time I started the car - Eonon says this is due to a fiber signal input which cannot be decoded by the unit, and there is no fix for it other than to rewire the power cable.

Any of these problems above were forgivable, but there were some issues I couldn't stomach. The microphone, which I installed where the OEM mic was seated, was TERRIBLE - I had to nearly shout for anyone to hear me, it worked about 30% as well as the OEM mic, and I hated the fact that I paid $400 to not be able to call my wife on my way home from work. The interfaces were just garbage - the unit itself was sleek, but the GUI was unintuitive, ugly, looked like it was straight out of 1997, and obviously poorly translated into English. For example, the Bluetooth audio interface is simply the name of the artist and the name of the song - not the album name, album art, song #, an indication of much time remains on each song, etc. The bluetooth interface doesn't allow you to browse your phone's music catalog, so you still need to use your phone to actually queue up a song. I loaded some music folders onto a microSD card to play the music directly, but the Eonon wouldn't sort the music by artist - only by album, which made my music almost impossible to find - and it was even uglier than the bluetooth setup.

In order to connect to the internet, I used my iPhone as a wireless hotspot, but my carrier (T-Mobile) caps the speeds at 3G, which is just slow enough that GPS (Google Maps) was always a step behind while driving, and streaming music (Spotify, Google Play) was laggy, with pauses to load the rest of the song. Unless you can park your car near enough to your house to access its WiFi, updating your apps will take all day and suck up a ton of data. The Eonon wouldn't automatically connect to my hotspot, so I had to go into WiFi settings every time I started the car and reconnect everything manually. Even though the unit has a "GPS" slot, that doesn't mean you can add a 3G SIM card, as described in the video - it is just a microSD card slot so that you can load Google Maps manually. Loading your contacts into the unit lists every single phone number you have - work phones, cell phones, home phones, indiscriminately (and with no search function or indication which number is which). I ended up having 700+ entries in my phone address book on the car, and no way to actually use any of them.

Little things drove me nuts - like pushing the volume knob (labelled "power") doesn't turn off the screen, it just mutes the sound. In order to turn off the screen, which is exceptionally bright while driving at night, you have to swipe down and then press this tiny "display" button twice. Even adjusting the volume was a pain, because it was programmed to very extreme increments - either the music was too quiet, or too loud. I tried installing all sorts of apps from the Google Play store in hopes it would give me a better music listening interface, or to actually access my phone - none of them worked. The AirPlay function would have been a nice workaround (to mirror my phone onto the unit), but it never worked. The increase in features in no way justified the headaches I dealt with every time I started the car.

While many people won't need it, the heated seat ashtray replacement (A0574) they offer is also terrible - cheap glossy plastic that doesn't sit flush with the BMW trim. It's glaringly ugly and stands out from the rest of the BMW interior design.

I purchased the unit because I thought it would create a cleaner, less cluttered experience; in theory, I could route all of my functions through the unit, and leave my phone in my pocket. Instead, driving with the Eonon was twice as cumbersome, and way more distracting. And the screens were just so ugly - a far cry from the BMW ultimate driving experience. The worst part is that after all this work, Eonon won't let me return the unit because there are "no issues on the unit itself". I'm in the military, and ended up relocating my family right after buying the unit, so I didn't get a chance to install it until after their 60-day return period, so I'm simply out of luck.

And because I had to clip the sides of my climate controller in order to make the Eonon unit fit (as directed by the company), I had to buy a new climate unit to reinstall my stock stereo. I also had to buy a new ashtray unit because I snapped off a plastic connector when removing the cigarette lighter portion (which is super hard, by the way). Luckily I found both on eBay used for about $70 altogether.

TL;DR version: I paid nearly $500 for a month of headaches - I was so happy to put my OEM stereo back in!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #37
Pungkulish
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320i pre lci

Eonon ga 7165 firmware/software ?

Can someone upload stable firmware please.. Eonon themself seems retarded and sent me wrong files so the system bricked... now need correct files to get it to boot at all.... stuck at boot logo screen PLEASE

Quote:
Linx, just to be clear I did not make that
Youtube video.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #38
dfwfiveoh
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
N6 gets the good fit by loosing the dvd player
which now is kind of useless and obsolete . I imagine all these dynavin
clones fit like the old dynavin did with overhang at the bottom. Yeah there are some good features but I wonder if they shortchanged the quality of the sound. Do any of these units have a HD fm radio receiver?
Thanks so much for this observation! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why the Dynavin fit so much better than all of the other clones. It is the missing DVD player.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #39
LDV
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328xi

Did you lose any sound quality by switching to the Eonon? Thinking about buying a GA8615a
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:08 PM   #40
Joshe93
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i e93

Bump on thread!
I have e93 and bought the ga9465.

I did not have to run a constant 12v or hook into one for setting retention.
The sound over my professional h/u is simply not comparable. The eonon brings the sound system to life! Does not retain idrive which I don’t have. I did not have to buy the optical decoder because even though I have the fiber optic I still have 8 speaker wires. Honestly it was plug and play. If you have access to a dremel tool and some other cheap cutting tools you can make the unit fit perfectly. I shaved off the sides of the ac and metal clips. I then very carefully started shaving the hole which the ac fits to and came out with a perfect fit. For navigation just use sygic from playstore and dl maps for dash offline use. Oh, steering wheel buttons are retained!
Appreciate 0