E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Official Minnesota Chat Thread

Closed Thread

02-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #67
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
By the way - that kid doing the work at the Eden Prairie Discount Tire is really good - super friendly and listened to my issue and fixed the problem (had a shake in the ass end because I'm a dumbass and didn't give them the centering rings - doh.)

Nick
Don't you like a little bit of this

Thanks for the photos man, just what I needed
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #68
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I've checked into this a fair bit and I will give you the facts and my impression.

The person at Motorwerks to talk to is Frank Jersche and he handles the relationship with Dinan. When I first spoke to him about the Dinan 2 it was about 3 months ago and a little after I bought my car. I also tried to engage him in a discussion about the performance power kit.

First, he didn't know that the performance power kit even existed. This led me to question his general knowledge around performance, etc. He was also unable to engage in too much of a technical discussion regarding the Dinan 2 tune.

My second discussion with MW regarding Dinan was with another parts advisor who didn't know too much about Dinan. However, according to him, MW ships out the DME to Dinan and it takes a couple days for Dinan to flash it and get it back. This also put me off Dinan, because it entails downtime, which would be inconvenient if BMW erased the Dinan 2 during a routine software update. This was also my discussion where I didn't get a very confident response as to whether MW will continue to be a dinan dealer.

My final discussion with Frank was regarding the costs for the performance power kit and the Dinan 2. He said that it would be $2400 to flash my car and $2700 installed for the performance power kit. He mentioned that they may offer discounts on their Dinan flashes in the spring. I did not inquire into MW's future as a Dinan dealer.

I hope this helps Gary! Please keep me posted if you decide to go the Dinan route.

Cheers.

Hmmmm, your experience doesn't inspire much confidence. Given the significant cost involved (whether it be the BMW Performance Power Kit or Dinan Stage 2) I would have hoped for a little more knowledge or expertise! It will be interesting to see what kind of discounts may surface in the springtime. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #69
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
Hmmmm, your experience doesn't inspire much confidence. Given the significant cost involved (whether it be the BMW Performance Power Kit or Dinan Stage 2) I would have hoped for a little more knowledge or expertise! It will be interesting to see what kind of discounts may surface in the springtime. Anyway, I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
Well knowing Dinan, I wouldn't hold out for too much hope. As an example, they advertised a 10% discount on their site but after they had bumped up their prices by 10%.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...dinan+discount
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #70
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
Wow! BMW loaners even though you didn't buy the car there? (Did you say that you went to Hotlanta for yours?). MW only offer loaners if you bought the car there, which I didn't. That doesn't bother me, as I work like a mile from there, so a ride in the minivan is just fine.

Let us know how the experience goes, I've got my first service due in April. And keep an eye out for a 335is loaner, cos then, I'm there
One time when my car was at Motorwerks for service I ended up with a Chrysler Aspen as a loaner... true story. It was like driving a bus, except a bus would probably handle better.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #71
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I've checked into this a fair bit and I will give you the facts and my impression.

The person at Motorwerks to talk to is Frank Jersche and he handles the relationship with Dinan. When I first spoke to him about the Dinan 2 it was about 3 months ago and a little after I bought my car. I also tried to engage him in a discussion about the performance power kit.

First, he didn't know that the performance power kit even existed. This led me to question his general knowledge around performance, etc. He was also unable to engage in too much of a technical discussion regarding the Dinan 2 tune.

My second discussion with MW regarding Dinan was with another parts advisor who didn't know too much about Dinan. However, according to him, MW ships out the DME to Dinan and it takes a couple days for Dinan to flash it and get it back. This also put me off Dinan, because it entails downtime, which would be inconvenient if BMW erased the Dinan 2 during a routine software update. This was also my discussion where I didn't get a very confident response as to whether MW will continue to be a dinan dealer.

My final discussion with Frank was regarding the costs for the performance power kit and the Dinan 2. He said that it would be $2400 to flash my car and $2700 installed for the performance power kit. He mentioned that they may offer discounts on their Dinan flashes in the spring. I did not inquire into MW's future as a Dinan dealer.

I hope this helps Gary! Please keep me posted if you decide to go the Dinan route.

Cheers.
I remember talking to Frank a while back (2 yrs ago when I bought my winter setup) about Dinan exhaust. I clearly remember him saying MW wasn't pushing Dinan that hard anymore in favor of making a batter market for the BMW Performance line.

I can honestly say I have had a great relationship with MW the only time I haven't had a E9X for a loaner, I was given an X3. But i only take one if I need one. Although I think it helps if you have your wife or GF set up the appointment! My wife always gets the royal treatment.
      02-12-2010, 12:04 AM   #72
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf878 View Post
One time when my car was at Motorwerks for service I ended up with a Chrysler Aspen as a loaner... true story. It was like driving a bus, except a bus would probably handle better.
^^

I've gotten a few rentals from MW. My favorite though was this. This was back March of 09.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #73
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 328xi  [9.00]
I loved my bmw rental especially for its power-folding side-view mirrors. Don't ask how long I was in my garage just totally fascinated by it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #74
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
So this thread got me:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350377

I sent Vishnu a message checking on availability

Also, going to the dyno in 2 weeks to see what V4 and DCI did for my car. I'm really only expecting gains from the DCI and maybe fatter torque and hp curves...

Does anyone know of anybody running meth on an N54 in the 'Cities?

Nick
I would probably check with Brian, as he was talking about going that route. Are you planning to track your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #75
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I thought all the E9x's had the power mirrors? Yours doesn't?

Nick
I think it only comes with the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #76
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
No tracking unless I go up there with someone to try it out. There are just too many supporting mods that need to be done that are expensive for me to justify. Brakes and more brakes, better cooling, FMIC, etc. No thanks. I just want to have a faster street car and meth is an easy bolt on that nets a good gain. I think a dedicated track car is probably a safer bet for me (I would freak the first time I ran off the track - my car would never feel the same again) Plus, you can never keep a race car clean. That would also drive me nuts.

Nick

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that an FMIC was better as street option when compared to Meth. Surely, the install is a lot easier?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #77
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
You are totally right - FMIC is ideal for street use but you have to take the front bumper off and honestly, I don't want to tackle that and/or have to worry about boost leaks I've gone back and fourth over the last couple of weeks. Meth is easy, offers a higher octane equivilent, and cools the intake charge. The hard part is running the lines. Vishnu is also working on their progressive mapping to smooth out "tip in" (I can't think of a better expression) when the meth flow begins and the procede switches to the meth map. I'm talking with that guy that did the install from that thread and getting more info but he's got the exact setup I would run and seems to really like it.

I suppose it's a "horse a piece"... Maybe I need to do some more research... I think FMIC would be far better for track duty though which contradicts my above statement (you don't have to worry about two things running out of juice). I don't know I guess... I think I'm going to do meth though

Nick
How reversible is meth from an install standpoint?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #78
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Man, you are getting serious now - I assume that you have decided to keep your car Seriously, that does look like a clean setup. What kind of gains are you expecting? I would be curious about it being reversible also, important if you needed to bring it into the dealer for a problem.

I hear you on the tracking, I'm joining the CCA and would like to participate in some of their local events. However, I don't think I could bring myself to use the E92 on a track, as any f-ups on my part would be expensive to fix!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #79
nferber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335xi

Nick, have you seen the HPF FMIC?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...s/Intercoolers
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #80
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nferber View Post
+1 awesome setup. You won't have to worry about boost leaks because it uses the stock hoses and couplers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #81
dfries
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: drove: e90 335i

Quote:
I would get iDrive all over again for two reasons - I can turn off the DRL's and enable tripple turn signal.

Nick
For what its worth I'm pretty sure you can do those things without iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #82
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, you need to stop this now. No temptation, please!

Quote:
Yeah but you have to take it to the dealer (so I'm told). I should ask my service advisor if that's a common thing people do? Have you done it on your car, Doug? The tripple turn is really nice actually (IMO).

Nick
I can change those settings through the column stalk as I don't have iDrive. First thing I did was turn DRLs off and tripple flash on. Traditional turn signals really annoy me now after getting used to this!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #83
ktan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

have you twin turbo guys heard of evolution racewerks?

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/?q=catalog/10

We are dealers for them and make awesome intercoolers for the audi guys. Huge drop in Intake air temps.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #84
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap! That's the most amazing thing I've ever heard! I thought it was some dealer BS that you had to do!

Umm, ok so the reason that I would still get iDrive is because I do like having a built in nav system. Honestly, to me it's nice to have but probably not a must have. There is little justification to get other than it looks cool. I'll be honest, my Garmin is better

Nick
My main reason for not being interested in OEM nav is how quickly the systems seem to become dated. Some of the systems I've seen in 3/4 year old cars seem clunky when compared to the latest versions. I'd have to get a new car every year to justify it My little Garmin works just fine on the few occasions I need nav, and when a new version comes out I can just throw it away.

I do agree that it look's cool though, the dash on the standard car is a little bland w/o the screen...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #85
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Nick- In regards to the FMIC, I cannot stress enough how beneficial and safe a FMIC is..especially compared to meth. I'm not sure who told you that taking off the bumper is necessary, but it definitely is not necessary. You just have to take off the undertray, then take off 2 bolts, 2 couplers/clamps, and whammo you've got the stock one off. Start to finish, It takes me 25 minutes to revert to the stock intercooler, and half that time is jacking it up and taking off the undertray.

As far as boost leaks, I'm not sure why that is a concern? I've only heard of a couple stories of a leaky connection, but they are always due to improper install or hitting a snowbank and ripping the IC off backwards (like my girlfriend did). After a proper install, there is really zero chance of a boost leak.

For brands, I would recommend first AMS, followed by Helix,AA,etc.. I'm not sold on the HPF IC, particularly the use of the stock end tanks.

Hope this helps! I can help install an IC anytime! I've got a heated garage if you've got a 6 pack of corona to share
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #86
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan View Post
have you twin turbo guys heard of evolution racewerks?

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/?q=catalog/10

We are dealers for them and make awesome intercoolers for the audi guys. Huge drop in Intake air temps.
The LSD is also interesting! Have you guys any plans to install any of these products on an N54?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #87
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Would love to have an E30 or E36 M3 someday. One of my friends just picked up his third E36 M3. It's pretty crazy... turbo, meth, etc. Pics below.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #88
dfries
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: drove: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
I can help install an IC anytime! I've got a heated garage if you've got a 6 pack of corona to share
Is this offer open on other mods too? Im kind of a chicken when it comes to taking bits and pieces off of a car.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread